2018 McLaren F1 Team - Renault

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
cramr

Re: 2018 McLaren F1 Team - Renault

Apparently even they don't expect much from the updates
https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/alon ... r-1033361/

""So, maybe the gap remains as it is, or we just recover a little bit, or we lose more ground."
"Who knows? I think it is up to us to make that package work to expectations and hopefully some others, they don't deliver. That is our hope."

Ground Effect

cramr wrote:
07 May 2018, 17:10

""So, maybe the gap remains as it is, or we just recover a little bit, or we lose more ground."
"Who knows? I think it is up to us to make that package work to expectations and hopefully some others, they don't deliver. That is our hope."
The smartest thing would be to downplay expectations.
Q: (Stefano Mancini – La Stampa) Kimi, will you help Vettel to win his championship this year?
Kimi Raikkonen: I can only drive one car, obviously. 
@2018 Singapore Grand Prix drivers press conference.

dr_cooke

cramr wrote:
07 May 2018, 17:10

Nearly word by word same remarks made in Baku. Before the race AFAIR

RonDennis

This always happens. The media ask these questions during the Baku weekend and some of them are publishing the interview right now. Some sites are even trying to spin the interview in multiple articles. I expect that McLaren has learned from their mistakes by over-promising and under-delivering.

dren

Ground Effect wrote:
07 May 2018, 17:08
dren wrote:
07 May 2018, 17:04
GoranF1 wrote:
07 May 2018, 16:22
Whit all the updates that are anaunced in AMuS , i am told that those are smaller than changes under the hood.

Source? Good one.
They must be changing PUs again, then.
:D By the way, there's a dren that comments on James Allen's blog...
Yes, I know. :)
Honda!

DrDejan

Gary Anderson on Motorsport:
Four-race average: 102.519%
Last race: 102.169%
2017 season: 102.510%
It's quite amazing that McLaren's average performance over these first four races is almost identical to its 2017 average performance!

GoranF1

Rumors saying Mclaren new FW(or nose) quite unique and rivals might consider copying it.

Interstingly enough @platinum zealot was speculating about Bargeboard DRD coming around Spain GP.... as far back as winter testing.
"I have no idols. I admire work, dedication & competence."

Joseki

DrDejan wrote:
07 May 2018, 21:18
It's quite amazing that McLaren's average performance over these first four races is almost identical to its 2017 average performance!
It's also quite amazing that the points after 4 races in 2018 are almost identical the points in 2017.

Alonso Fan

DrDejan wrote:
07 May 2018, 21:18
That's more than likely based on Quali performance. No surprises here
SHR Modding
Youtube
Twitter
Discord

Sound Developer for Reiza Studios
Sound Modder for Assetto Corsa

Benii6

GoranF1 wrote:
07 May 2018, 21:25
Rumors saying Mclaren new FW(or nose) quite unique and rivals might consider copying it.

Interstingly enough @platinum zealot was speculating about Bargeboard DRD coming around Spain GP.... as far back as winter testing.
So I was wondering something and I noticed you have implied you know someone within Mclaren. Since I'm as gullible as a grandma I choose to believe you.
Do people at the team, know why their quali pace, relative to other teams, is so much worse than their race pace? I assume its something to do with the tyres. Do they have a solution?
This next couple of races are going to be especially hard to overtake and I'd hate to see them stuck at the back of the midfield.

GoranF1

Benii6 wrote:
07 May 2018, 22:12
GoranF1 wrote:

So I was wondering something and I noticed you have implied you know someone within Mclaren. Since I'm as gullible as a grandma I choose to believe you.
Do people at the team, know why their quali pace, relative to other teams, is so much worse than their race pace? I assume its something to do with the tyres. Do they have a solution?
This next couple of races are going to be especially hard to overtake and I'd hate to see them stuck at the back of the midfield.
There was an interview not long ago whit both drivers and they were asked about the tires.
Both said that nothing related to their tyre performance is the problem.
They said its "general lack of performanse"
To be honest anyone that tought after that super-late PU call last year, that car will be on the podium in AUS, is not following F1 close enough.
Car is late in every possible way.
Second thing is money, its really a problem now, Renault has bigger budget.

Yes i was talking to someone in Mclaren, they are all really positive about future, admits they lack resources compared to others, but think they have
intellectual and structural advantage.
Also they rely on Alonso.
"I have no idols. I admire work, dedication & competence."

RonDennis

GoranF1 wrote:

Will Buxton said it. New front that is different to anything else on the grid.

adrianjordan

This is going to be a long week...I can't imagine a front end that is different to anything on the grid, so look forward to being underwhelmed!! Lol
Favourite driver: Lando Norris
Favourite team: McLaren

Turned down the chance to meet Vettel at Silverstone in 2007. He was a test driver at the time and I didn't think it was worth queuing!! 🤦🏻‍♂️

makecry

adrianjordan wrote:
08 May 2018, 04:26
This is going to be a long week...I can't imagine a front end that is different to anything on the grid, so look forward to being underwhelmed!! Lol
It did get some time to get crash tested so let's see. It's the media who is hyping this up. McLaren has downplayed it more than once. I hope it's something different. F1AT says the upgrade will be worth 0.5 seconds absolute gain, if it's 0.3second of relative gain, i'd be happy.