2018/2019 WEC

Please discuss here all your remarks and pose your questions about all racing series, except Formula One. Both technical and other questions about GP2, Touring cars, IRL, LMS, ...
f1universe

Re: 2018/2019 WEC

DiogoBrand wrote:
06 May 2018, 14:30
The thing is: This championship was always going to be bullshit with Toyota racing against nobody but themselves. If they had already won Le Mans there would be no reason for them to even continue with endurance racing.

So even if Alonso does win Le Mans (and bear in mind I'm a huge Alonso fan) it's probably going to be the hollowest of Le Mans victories. Does that mean he's a bad driver? Absolutely not, he's possibly the best in the whole WEC field, but still, winning a 24 hour race when you're easily able to lap every car but your own sister car is always gonna be a bullshit win (if it happens).

So it's a good thing that Alonso is able to win Le Mans, but so sad that if he does win, it definitely won't be a win as big as he (in my opinion) deserves.
But that's not his fault, is how things turn out. The sister team could provide some serious challenge, I won't call a victory at lemans hollow if there is a good fight between the Toyotas.

Sevach

ALO_Power wrote:
06 May 2018, 13:43
Let it go mate. It's also very fun to see that Alonso's haters spent 6 hours to watch a race he did in another category (that other f1 drivers of his class wouldn't even dare to) only to make up stories so they can bash him after his victory. Imagine what we will see if McLaren gets competitive in F1 :lol: :lol: :lol: I guess people would say that the severe damage he had in Baku made the car faster that's why he recovered and even smashed Vandoorne with an undamaged car :lol: :lol: :lol:
It might surprise you, but some of us actually followed WEC before mister Alonso, because you know... We like racing.

Different priorities see.

ALO_Power

Sevach wrote:
06 May 2018, 17:57
ALO_Power wrote:
06 May 2018, 13:43
Let it go mate. It's also very fun to see that Alonso's haters spent 6 hours to watch a race he did in another category (that other f1 drivers of his class wouldn't even dare to) only to make up stories so they can bash him after his victory. Imagine what we will see if McLaren gets competitive in F1 :lol: :lol: :lol: I guess people would say that the severe damage he had in Baku made the car faster that's why he recovered and even smashed Vandoorne with an undamaged car :lol: :lol: :lol:
It might surprise you, but some of us actually followed WEC before mister Alonso, because you know... We like racing.

Sure you convinced us with your comments :mrgreen:

TAG

Sevach wrote:

Racing at the LMP2 and GT levels, sure. LMP1, not so much.
माकडाच्या हाती कोलीत

Sevach

ALO_Power wrote:
06 May 2018, 18:06

Sure you convinced us with your comments :mrgreen:
Just do a bit of legwork, stop watching that 2006 dvd for a second and search for the WEC 2017 thread or the 2016... you'll see my name there.

Sevach

TAG wrote:
06 May 2018, 19:10
Sevach wrote:

We can't expect much from P1 this season, but it was really good the last couple of years (until Porsche decided to play it safe last year too)IMO.

Still, we could've had and exciting finish even with one car coming from the back.

erlik

What a twist of fate it would be if Juan Pablo Montoya signs for Rebellion (for example) for LeMans race and win it as Toyota's curse this time reinforced with Alonso's own curse will strike again. This way JPM would take triple crown in front of Alonso's nose :)

Sent from my MHA-L29 using Tapatalk

McHonda

Sevach wrote:
06 May 2018, 10:42
ALO_Power wrote:
06 May 2018, 09:56
Sevach wrote:
06 May 2018, 09:19
I'll sing a different tune and say that looked pathetic, with Toyota making a clear team call to ensure Alonso wins.
All that after the other car started a lap down and with Alonso being the slowest driver by quite a huge margin.
It would be nice to watch closer before jumping to such (wishful) conclusions. Toyota (being the only Hybrid car) is the quickest one (by much) so all the #7 had to do was to climb up to P2 as quickly as possible (which is easy being a Toyota and a 6 hour race...) and then wait for mess and safety cars (which came). So with all of those safety cars, the seat belt mistake with the other japanese driver that costed 1 whole extra stop and the japanese driver's spin and all of those safety cars over 6 hours it was a fact that the gap would close! Even if Alonso's car started P2 he would be just behind #7's tail with all of those safety cars alone. As for Conway closing the gap, it was obvious that he was going with a way more aggressive strategy burning more fuel. When Conway boxed, Alonso boxed too after it but the gap opened up, obviously Conway put more fuel in while Alonso was conserving to the end and he managed it quite well with the traffic and everything being a totally different car (and category), different team, 1st time out and also missed the prolog. So, check closer before saying that they just handed the win to him. The only thing I'd want is Porsche so we have some more competition on the top but fighting with the experienced team-mates is also fun.
I did watch the race and i know what i saw.

Alonso had a gap after the final SC(which he lost) and again after the pit stop, car #7 was faster all race.
Conway caught up to Alonso again with 20 minutes to go and immediately backed off, clear team orders.
Alonso was the slowest driver by quite a huge margin and "administrated" against a sister car who was told to back away.

Totally manufactured race, but if that makes you happy whatever.
Not even close to being true. He was the quickest in the No.8 car and the most consistent of all Toyota drivers while driving the most laps. On debut. :lol:

The No.7 was unlucky to be a lap down but without that last SC they'd have been nowhere near close enough to challenge and Conway was lucky again to get away with passing a car under the SC and Alonso had a gearbox issue in those closing stages so calling the fight off was the right thing to do for Toyota's 1-2.

TAG

Andre Lotterer is a hell of a driver.
माकडाच्या हाती कोलीत

McHonda

TAG wrote:
07 May 2018, 06:30
Andre Lotterer is a hell of a driver.
In this discipline he is yeah.

McHonda

Nice for Alonso to finally have a dominant car that can lap over a second quicker than its rivals at his fingertips but the fight with the sister car could get tasty when they start on the same lap.

Lemans can't come soon enough.

[-o<

simieski

I don’t think the car issues Alonso had at the end were huge. At one point he had boost off in red on his display but I think the commentators said this was due to him using his quota for the lap already and it would reset once he crossed the start line. Gearbox didn’t really hinder him, he was just asked to short shift to controls temps.

Good show from Alonso still, but had he been allowed to Conway would have sailed past for the win.
Thank you to God for making me an Atheist - Ricky Gervais.

Formula Wrong

So earlier today this video appeared, showing Matewos Issaakjan's massive flip at Radillon:

The front of the car already is in the air as it comes into view - any thoughts on how this could have happened? Is it possible that the white curbs on the inside caused this?
If you no longer go for the space someone always has to leave, you're no longer a racing driver

DiogoBrand

Formula Wrong wrote:
10 May 2018, 01:23
So earlier today this video appeared, showing Matewos Issaakjan's massive flip at Radillon:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t5bPgU1 ... e=youtu.be

The front of the car already is in the air as it comes into view - any thoughts on how this could have happened? Is it possible that the white curbs on the inside caused this?
I can also only imagine that it was caused by the anti-cut white kerbs.

graham.reeds

TAG wrote:
06 May 2018, 19:10
Sevach wrote:

Agreed. Drop LMP1 and LMP2 and bring in a GT1 category which is a silhouette class where the restrictions are a roll cage fitted and use the same engine as a road going version. Also to reduce the chance of homologation specials, 50 road going examples have to have been sold.

So you can get Bugattis, Keonigseggs and Pagani racing which currently they can't.