2018 McLaren F1 Team - Renault

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
PinkFloydPulse

Re: 2018 McLaren F1 Team - Renault

Reminds me of the pigs from angry birds
Team Fernando!

DiogoBrand

DiogoBrand wrote:
08 May 2018, 12:46
GoranF1 wrote:
08 May 2018, 12:01
The article speculates of Force India/Mercedes hybrid nose design.
Anyone got an opinion on that?
I certainly hope not, one car with those nostrils is already ugly enough. It could be a blend between a Mercedes nose with their own slotted pillars, or a hybrid between their current nose with Mercedes' cape. Introducing a cape seems large enough that it could delay an entire aero package.
At least I was right about the cape.

Monster Hesh

Maybe all of camera mount should be painted black .

Ground Effect

You can see the Mercedes similarity
Q: (Stefano Mancini – La Stampa) Kimi, will you help Vettel to win his championship this year?
Kimi Raikkonen: I can only drive one car, obviously. 
@2018 Singapore Grand Prix drivers press conference.

Alonso Fan

Ground Effect wrote:
10 May 2018, 21:16
You can see the Mercedes similarity
Actually I was referring to the shape of the nose inlets and Wallace's mouth opening...
SHR Modding
Youtube
Twitter
Discord

Sound Developer for Reiza Studios
Sound Modder for Assetto Corsa

Monster Hesh

How many race weekends do we think before they are able to use this design optimally? This was meant to be on the car in Melbourne, so they are already 4 races behind. Maybe not until Austria before they can start extracting peak performance from it?

BrunoH

i think by the time they start the race should be close to what it optimal can do.

Ground Effect

It seems Red Bull have a significant upgrade package, as well. So it will be interesting to see if Mclaren can make any net gains on them, but I think the focus would be trying to jump the midfield. That in itself won't be easy.
Q: (Stefano Mancini – La Stampa) Kimi, will you help Vettel to win his championship this year?

McL-H

They will get more familiair with and optimise the setup during next weeks test. But hopefully they can already extract most out of it this weekend.. even more important: hopefully it works as expected. Props anyway to McLaren for being innovative, finding the boundaries and being brave. I have given them a lot of flak for this season’s performance so far. But they deserve credit for coming up with such a huge unconservative update. Regardless of the performance. This is why I am fan of this team. And this is what I’ve missed of them from several years.

Ground Effect

McL-H wrote:
10 May 2018, 22:14
They will get more familiair with and optimise the setup during next weeks test. But hopefully they can already extract most out of it this weekend.. even more important: hopefully it works as expected. Props anyway to McLaren for being innovative, finding the boundaries and being brave. I have given them a lot of flak for this season’s performance so far. But they deserve credit for coming up with such a huge unconservative update. Regardless of the performance. This is why I am fan of this team. And this is what I’ve missed of them from several years.
I agree with you on that, the end product of the much awaited upgrade package gives the indication of a team pushing to get back to winning ways. From various comments, it appears the jury is still out on the looks, but it's certainly not underwhelming. Let's hope the delay was worth it, and Mclaren will be part of conversations for the right reasons.

604gtir

are there enough bits for both cars?

Macklaren

604gtir wrote:
10 May 2018, 22:53
are there enough bits for both cars?
Well they built Stoff’s car for scrutineering. Can’t imagine them not giving Alo the upgrade.

Vanja #66

What's the most famous orange McLaren, prior to Dennis era?
And they call it a stall. A STALL!

#Aerogimli
#DwarvesAreNaturalSprinters
#BlessYouLaddie

RonDennis

Monster Hesh wrote:
10 May 2018, 21:57
How many race weekends do we think before they are able to use this design optimally? This was meant to be on the car in Melbourne, so they are already 4 races behind. Maybe not until Austria before they can start extracting peak performance from it?
It has to be this weekend. McLaren is just trying to downplay the upgrade, but it's clearly huge. They are aiming for huge gains with this b-spec, not just a couple of tenths.

PhillipM

I'd imagine it'll take a while to get the most out of setup work - given the nose is a very different concept