2014-2020 Formula One 1.6l V6 turbo engine formula

All that has to do with the power train, gearbox, clutch, fuels and lubricants, etc. Generally the mechanical side of Formula One.
J.A.W.

Re: 2014-2020 Formula One 1.6l V6 turbo engine formula

Current Chinese 'off-the-shelf' coal-fired power-plants are 'state of the art,' & very competitive price-wise..
& it is solely political angst.. which stymies their pre-fabricated facilitation in Australia..
"Well, we knocked the bastard off!"

Ed Hilary on being 1st to top Mt Everest,
(& 1st to do a surface traverse across Antarctica,
in good Kiwi style - riding a Massey Ferguson farm
tractor - with a few extemporised mod's to hack the task).

AJI
AJI

wuzak wrote:
12 May 2018, 10:41
Yep, I'm another....
You and JAW must be watching Air Crash Investigations on the Lauda Flight 4 crash right now with me then..?

Ps I never said we had to build new coal fired power plants either...
Maybe just hold off on the premature shut down of the old tech for a couple of years until the upgrade to new tech has been properly soak-tested..?

godlameroso

What a tease, I'd love to see the shaft that's geared to the crank.

In a completely unrelated topic, the regulations allow 5 sparks per cycle, surely the spark itself is capable of creating ROS, near or around the spark gap, well timed sparks during the combustion process can have interesting effects on the reactivity of the fuel during before and after said process.
Saishū kōnā

Big Tea

godlameroso wrote:
10 Sep 2018, 02:46
What a tease, I'd love to see the shaft that's geared to the crank.

In a completely unrelated topic, the regulations allow 5 sparks per cycle, surely the spark itself is capable of creating ROS, near or around the spark gap, well timed sparks during the combustion process can have interesting effects on the reactivity of the fuel during before and after said process.
If the duration of the spark is free, and the intensity of the spark is free, they can do more or less what they wan then , cant they? :D
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

godlameroso

Rules only specify 5 sparks per engine cycle, nothing about duration or intensity. No mention of spark gaps either, only that the spark plug works by high tension electric discharge. No plasma or laser ignition, which is strange when you consider the spark and the flame itself are both plasmas.
Saishū kōnā

roon

Would a twin entry compressor contravene the single-stage rule? Stages apply to both parallel and series contexts?

subcritical71

roon wrote:
18 Sep 2018, 21:54
Would a twin entry compressor contravene the single-stage rule? Stages apply to both parallel and series contexts?

http://www.enginehistory.org/Museums/CW ... ne1005.jpg
Interesting photo, is this a gas turbine or jet engine?

I would think that the entry would be fine as you could also do a scroll type entry. But since you have two sets of outlet vanes this would be considered two outlet stages... a no go by my thinking.

markc

Rolls-Royce Nene - Centrifugal compressor turbojet engine
More pics here: http://www.enginehistory.org/Museums/CWHM/CWHM.shtml

Sieper

new 2019 clampdown on oil burn during qualifying:

https://www.racefans.net/2018/10/16/new ... targets-te ams-burning-oil-for-qualifying-boost/

Do you think this will finally make this practice impossible, or can one still engineer around this?

subcritical71

Sieper wrote:
16 Oct 2018, 15:00
new 2019 clampdown on oil burn during qualifying:

https://www.racefans.net/2018/10/16/new ... targets-te ams-burning-oil-for-qualifying-boost/

Do you think this will finally make this practice impossible, or can one still engineer around this?
I think they can and here is why. The definition of the Auxiliary Oil Tank is;
1.32 Auxiliary Oil Tank (AOT) :
An Auxiliary Oil Tank (AOT) is a singular vessel connected to the engine whose sole function is to hold engine oil for the replenishment of the engine lubrication system.
The bolded and italics were added by me and this is where I see the exploitation potential. Could another function be added to the AOT and therefore it is no longer classified as an AOT (its just an oil tank) -> not affected by the AOT rules? Is there are limit to the number of oil tanks?

Sieper

It did state just one tank was allowed in the article, but only for 2020, waitwhut?

A further rules change for 2020 will state that “only one AOT may be fitted to the car”. The size and operation of the AOT will also be restricted. “The total volume of the AOT and its connections to the engine must not be greater than 2.5l,” the 2020 rules state. “The transfer of oil between the AOT and the engine must be controlled by a solenoid.”

So the 2019 change is meaningless then?

subcritical71

Yep, paragraph 7.9 is a 2020 regulation and is not applicable in the 2019 regs. Sounds to me like a loophole!
7.9 AOT
7.9.1 Only one AOT may be fitted to the car.
7.9.2 The total volume of the AOT and its connections to the engine must not be greater than 2.5l.
The transfer of oil between the AOT and the engine must be controlled by a solenoid.
I also do not see an oil consumption limit. I believe this was done via Technical Directive, but I would have thought with a new revision of the Technical Regulations that the TD's would have been incorporated.

Which leads me to a question, when do TD's expire? What happens if a new Regulation covers or changes the contents of a TD, does that then get withdrawn? I guess since TD's are closely held that this cannot be answered.

godlameroso

In my humble opinion, I believe that lowering friction through piston rings is what's prompting the oil burn saga. They don't want the manufacturers having an arms race as far as who can shed the most friction through the piston rings. So they try to curtail how much oil burning is going on and indirectly limit how extreme they can go with the rings.
Saishū kōnā

wuzak

subcritical71 wrote:
18 Sep 2018, 23:11
roon wrote:
18 Sep 2018, 21:54

http://www.enginehistory.org/Museums/CW ... ne1005.jpg
Interesting photo, is this a gas turbine or jet engine?
The Nene is both a gas turbine and a jet.

subcritical71 wrote:
18 Sep 2018, 23:11
I would think that the entry would be fine as you could also do a scroll type entry. But since you have two sets of outlet vanes this would be considered two outlet stages... a no go by my thinking.
2 stages refers to 2 stages of compression.

That is, 2 compressors in series.

The sticking point with a 2 sided compressor is whether that would be considered one compressor or two.

The turbines all seem to use 2 inlets
https://www.pitpass.com/images/engines/ ... tter01.jpg

And the turbines have the same restriction - only one stage allowed, and one turbine.