2018 McLaren F1 Team - Renault

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
rogazilla
rogazilla

Re: 2018 McLaren F1 Team - Renault

loner wrote:
13 May 2018, 17:10
Darth-Piekus wrote:
13 May 2018, 16:56
The good thing I can take so far from this year is that ditching Honda was the correct move. So far they are getting wrecked. That is as clear as a sunny day.

So far our reliability is one of the best.
you guys won't wake up ever ?!!
the PU not the problem currently its the mediocrity of your team, here gone the Spanish GP and you get lapped REALITY CHECK EVER ?!!
Seriously! Alonso is the saving grace. What’s vandoornes time compare to the 2 rookies in TR? But again this season solidify what a driver Alonso is.

Ground Effect
Ground Effect

I wonder when we'll stop all this Mclaren and Honda back and forth, aren't you guys bored?
Q: (Stefano Mancini – La Stampa) Kimi, will you help Vettel to win his championship this year?
Kimi Raikkonen: I can only drive one car, obviously. 
@2018 Singapore Grand Prix drivers press conference.

GoranF1
GoranF1

Race pace sligtly better than Renault in clean air, also better than FI and Torroroso, better than Williams and Sauber....BUT Haas was 0.5 per lap faster......now how do you guys think Mclaren will do in Monaco vs Haas and Renault?
"I have no idols. I admire work, dedication & competence."

rogazilla
rogazilla

Tired of this unfair fake info. If you say gasley is closer driver to vandoorne then McLarens update didn’t really do much compare to a car with no update. It is all relative isn’t it and we can write that narrative with the data how we want. Just be happy the separation is good for both McLaren and Honda and stop bringing up statement like this “The good thing I can take so far from this year is that ditching Honda was the correct move. So far they are getting wrecked. That is as clear as a sunny day.”

Darth-Piekus

There isn't any comparison. Mclaren is way superior in every way with the Renault engine than Mclaren was in the years from 2015 to 2017 in the Honda engine. It is clear as day. I know some people are still fanboying over Honda but they should face reality.

Honda failed miserably. By the time they knew they would join Mclaren back in 2013 they had plenty of time to test their new engine and experiment with it in order for it to be ready. Instead they did nothing and 3 years were lost. Not only they had a slow engine but it couldn't hold a single race.

ALO_Power
ALO_Power

Honestly, how can you make conclusions of this piece of s$$t race? Alonso got involved in a lap 1 incident and also had to run off the track and slow down to avoid a spinning grosjean that caused a chaos which led him to lose a lot of positions and in Barcelona you simply can't follow/pass, just check the total overtakes of the race. And if that wasn't enough Alonso already had the disadvantage of starting with SS while the WHOLE grid was on S (u see its effects when the tires got worn up excessively after just few laps and then Leclerc was going away and Force India was catching). Then getting stuck behind the Sauber for most of the race just slowed him down and worn up his tires way more (same with mediums with which he had to do the whole race after the stop). In the end he closed the gap to around 3 seconds but ok was not enough. As for Vandoorne, he really destroyed everything in the start, penalty and then the driveshaft issue but I'm happy with the reliability since this is our 1st retirement of the year when all other teams got a load of more retirements. And Alonso was just unlucky, his start was way superior than the other cars, he stuck behind of Verstappen in the end of the straight. Plus, even Vettel couldn't close the gap to Verstappen that had a damaged front wing, so imagine... Everything was just wrong in this race, the only good was the fast pit stop :P. If Alonso was in Magnussen's shoes he would just have a fully uninterrupted race and a sail up to P6, easy.
Last edited by ALO_Power on 13 May 2018, 17:39, edited 1 time in total.

the EDGE
the EDGE

GoranF1 wrote:
13 May 2018, 17:24
Race pace sligtly better than Renault in clean air, also better than FI and Torroroso, better than Williams and Sauber....BUT Haas was 0.5 per lap faster......now how do you guys think Mclaren will do in Monaco vs Haas and Renault?
McLaren & Renault were pretty evenly matche in quali in sector 3, Haas behind both so I think that answers the question

Hopefully McLaren, or at least Alonso can find a little more and claim 7th but they need to solve their top speed defecit if they want 4th come the end of the year

ollandos
ollandos

1. compare between ranault and haas is not possible ..both it was on other strategy ..4 laps newest tires for sainz but with more less battles and clean air .and mag 11 laps newest tires..in easy alone races ..same for red bull ...
2. i am happy for the result p8 after this start and 1st lap it was super result ..i want more performance on the other hand ..top 3 teams is clear takes lot more from the tires ..there is big gap ..i dont have any info ..but somethng is wrong on this car ..after new nose probably at the rear ..perhaps PU intergration or rear new suspension or both ..and i think that have a role on tim goss move out ..i hope on test they can find out the weak point and find solution ...maybe is all ready where is the problem....monaco is very unigue ..and the drivaner only can make diffenent ..on canada is the upgrade from renault ...there must have more gains from the chassis with new pu 2 ..
3. and something about honda ..there is no single sing ..to prove wrong move the swip for renault ..with honda engine this year mclaren probably is the slowest car out there ...good luck to honda i hope to find the way but is the past for the team...lets see honda upgrade too ...and red bull choise for 2019

diffuser

Ground Effect wrote:
I wonder when we'll stop all this Mclaren and Honda back and forth, aren't you guys bored?
Yeah, you'd think there was still a Honda in the back of McLaren.

adrianjordan

Ground Effect wrote:
I don't think it will ever stop. Even if Mclaren Renault and Red Bull Honda end up fighting for the 2020 title....in fact that would just make it worse now I think about it!!
Favourite driver: Lando Norris
Favourite team: McLaren

Turned down the chance to meet Vettel at Silverstone in 2007. He was a test driver at the time and I didn't think it was worth queuing!! 🤦🏻‍♂️

dp12
dp12

With an update at Monaco, McLaren may just have that upper hand over the other midfield teams.

McMika98
McMika98

People need to forget Honda and stop the Toro Rosso comparison. The target is to be in the top teams not find solace against midfield bunch. Mclaren are now the slowest of the Renault engine team with one of the top drivers saving their face. Its not getting better, Haas will be supercompetitive in Monaco with the pole car from last year. This package better deliver few tenths in testing.

willmesquita

dp12 wrote:
13 May 2018, 20:08
With an update at Monaco, McLaren may just have that upper hand over the other midfield teams.
As Toto Wolff said few days ago, there is no such thing in F1, you can't think you bring a update and gain 0.5s against other teams. McLaren now is 0.5s slower than Haas and matches Renault. McLaren will need more work to be 4th at Hungaroring and much more work to keep it 'til Abu Dhabi.

#BelieveInMcLaren
To do something well is so worthwhile that to die trying to do it better cannot be foolhardy. It would be a waste of life to do nothing with one's ability, for I feel that life is measured in achievement, not in years alone. ― Bruce McLaren

papayaorange.com.br

RonDennis
RonDennis

You guys are just expecting too much, Red Bull has about 150 more staff than McLaren.

Alonso Fan

loner wrote:
13 May 2018, 17:10
Darth-Piekus wrote:
13 May 2018, 16:56
The good thing I can take so far from this year is that ditching Honda was the correct move. So far they are getting wrecked. That is as clear as a sunny day.

So far our reliability is one of the best.
you guys won't wake up ever ?!!
the PU not the problem currently its the mediocrity of your team, here gone the Spanish GP and you get lapped REALITY CHECK EVER ?!!
Just stop it. Stop baiting. You did it on the Toro Rosso thread and now you're at it on here. Aral warned you once already.
SHR Modding
Youtube
Twitter
Discord

Sound Developer for Reiza Studios
Sound Modder for Assetto Corsa