2018 FIM Moto GP World Championship

Please discuss here all your remarks and pose your questions about all racing series, except Formula One. Both technical and other questions about GP2, Touring cars, IRL, LMS, ...
Andres125sx

Re: 2018 FIM Moto GP World Championship

J.A.W. wrote:
07 May 2018, 10:10
Andres125sx wrote:
07 May 2018, 08:37
That was bad luck for the three!

I agree with stwards decision, a racing incident, but if someone would be to blame he´s Lorenzo, as Etusch explained he´s the one returning to the racing line after a mistake, so he should be the one to be aware if there was another rider on the line. But I really think it was a racing incident.

Marquez.... wow what a save, and perfect race
I'd reckon that's a bit harsh on Jorge there Andres.. he was going hard out to keep his spot, ( only M.M. had got ahead of him)
& Moto GP bikes do not feature mirrors.. so the onus is on the would be overtaker - to make his own arrangements..
As I said, I think it was a racing incident, I was only saying IF anyone is on fault, it was Jorge.

Mirrors or not, it´s the rider who lost the line who must take care of any other rider on the line before obstructing him, what I can´t understand is how you think it was Pedrosa´s fault, he did nothing!

Do you think when a rider goes wide the riders behind must let him recover the line in front of them?

J.A.W.

I cannot agree Andres.. Moto GP is racing.. not a speed trial.. & positional contests are called 'battles', for a reason.

Jorge was racing to keep his position, which was 2nd place, so any would be overtaker, be it Dovi or Dani,
rightly has to do so - on his merits.

The onus is on the rider behind, to be maintaining his situational awareness ( which M.M. sure does, splendidly),
& def' not by putting his head down & riding blindly on a collision course (which Dani did)..

Dani surely, ought to have been carefully watching how the Duc-on-Duc fight went down, & not simply ignoring it..
Jorge had every reason to expect that Dani would do that, & Dani* should not be so serenely blase` about racing..

1st rule to staying rubber-side-down on a bike is: do not ride blindly into obstacles - which will cause you to crash..

*IMO, Dani too often displays a oddly vacant/passive approach in his racing, & this attitude has materially contributed to
his inability to become a Moto GP Champion..
"Well, we knocked the bastard off!"

Ed Hilary on being 1st to top Mt Everest,
(& 1st to do a surface traverse across Antarctica,
in good Kiwi style - riding a Massey Ferguson farm
tractor - with a few extemporised mod's to hack the task).

Andres125sx

J.A.W. wrote:
07 May 2018, 23:47
The onus is on the rider behind
Pedrosa was NOT behind any more, they were side by side, so Dani had earned the position

J.A.W. wrote:
to be maintaining his situational awareness ( which M.M. sure does, splendidly), & def' not by putting his head down & riding blindly on a collision course (which Dani did)..
He didn´t crash into Jorge, it was the other way around, Dani was on the racing line and Jorge, while trying to return to it, found it was occupied by Dani and collided laterally. He even tried to raise the bike but it was too late :wink:

GPR-A duplicate2

Andres125sx wrote:
08 May 2018, 09:33
J.A.W. wrote:
The onus is on the rider behind
Pedrosa was NOT behind any more, they were side by side, so Dani had earned the position

J.A.W. wrote:
to be maintaining his situational awareness ( which M.M. sure does, splendidly), & def' not by putting his head down & riding blindly on a collision course (which Dani did)..
He didn´t crash into Jorge, it was the other way around, Dani was on the racing line and Jorge, while trying to return to it, found it was occupied by Dani and collided laterally. He even tried to raise the bike but it was too late :wink:
it's a no brainer. Jorge was at fault.

digitalrurouni

I think it was a racing incident but Lorenzo cutting back like that yikes.

J.A.W.

Look guys, I am bound to concur with Race Contoller - Mike Webb's call on this - its a 'racing incident', no penalty..

Dovi's post-race diatribe does seem self-serving however, esp' since it was his rash manoeuvre - which instigated the deal..
"Well, we knocked the bastard off!"

Ed Hilary on being 1st to top Mt Everest,
(& 1st to do a surface traverse across Antarctica,
in good Kiwi style - riding a Massey Ferguson farm
tractor - with a few extemporised mod's to hack the task).

digitalrurouni

J.A.W. wrote:
09 May 2018, 00:00
Look guys, I am bound to concur with Race Contoller - Mike Webb's call on this - its a 'racing incident', no penalty..

Dovi's post-race diatribe does seem self-serving however, esp' since it was his rash manoeuvre - which instigated the deal..
Every rider is going to defend their action. Lorenzo looked like he was holding up Dovi. He didn't do anything wrong. He did a clean pass he didn't touch anyone. He ran the braking deep many moves we have seen have been done along those lines. I agree it's a racing incident but that doesn't mean riders don't have any responsibility and seems Lorenzo was the main person to blame to me. Cutting back across the track like he did all the way to the edge of the track just was not needed. And also he was pretty obviously slow in the middle of the corner. Only reason he was able to stay ahead for that bit of time was he is very good at Jerez regardless of bike. He is a confidence rider and Jerez gives him a lot of confidence some times to even his own detriment! I firmly believe he did not need to cut back that aggressively all the way and with the G3 on his pit board his situational awareness should have told him they are in a group of 3 riders. But yeah it was more of all the things lining up for all 3 of them to crash out. So it's easier to call it a racing incident. I don't want race direction to discourage overtaking and risky moves. Adds to the spice of racing. As long as the passes are clean!!

I can understand Dovi's post race diatribe. He is getting paid MUCH less for all that he is doing and delivering.

etusch

etusch

"Who is better" discussion is everytime a resultless one. But if you think that, for you he is the best. It is sad that he withdrawed from racing so early. If he were racing still, it would be wonderfull to watch and would be incredible competition.
For sure he is one of the best.

NathanOlder

Spot on mate, and some say he wasn't even that good. Iv'e never read or heard people saying he wasn't a great. All you hear is how good he was, and that was equal to the very best.

As for the race last weekend, 2 things stood out for me, 1- Cals pole position! and 2- what a save MM. =D>
GoLandoGo
Lewis v2.0
King George has arrived.

New found love for GT racing with Assetto Corsa Competizione on PS5 & PC

Nonserviam85

etusch wrote:
09 May 2018, 22:51
"Who is better" discussion is everytime a resultless one. But if you think that, for you he is the best. It is sad that he withdrawed from racing so early. If he were racing still, it would be wonderfull to watch and would be incredible competition.
For sure he is one of the best.
Actually I am not a big Casey Stoner fan but I always give credit where it is due...

Muniix

digitalrurouni wrote:
09 May 2018, 14:42
J.A.W. wrote:
09 May 2018, 00:00

Every rider is going to defend their action. Lorenzo looked like he was holding up Dovi. He didn't do anything wrong. He did a clean pass he didn't touch anyone. He ran the braking deep many moves we have seen have been done along those lines. I agree it's a racing incident but that doesn't mean riders don't have any responsibility and seems Lorenzo was the main person to blame to me. Cutting back across the track like he did all the way to the edge of the track just was not needed. And also he was pretty obviously slow in the middle of the corner. Only reason he was able to stay ahead for that bit of time was he is very good at Jerez regardless of bike. He is a confidence rider and Jerez gives him a lot of confidence some times to even his own detriment! I firmly believe he did not need to cut back that aggressively all the way and with the G3 on his pit board his situational awareness should have told him they are in a group of 3 riders. But yeah it was more of all the things lining up for all 3 of them to crash out. So it's easier to call it a racing incident. I don't want race direction to discourage overtaking and risky moves. Adds to the spice of racing. As long as the passes are clean!!

I can understand Dovi's post race diatribe. He is getting paid MUCH less for all that he is doing and delivering.
Dovi was fastest man on track with heavy fuel loads, MM couldn't beat his time until he had buned through 30%+ more fuel mass, Dovi was lapping at 139.2 8 laps earlier than MM could do a better time of 139.1x and he was out front with all the advantages and pushing it as evidenced in 'that' save. Dovi was on to win especially given MM thinks that accelerating earlier in the wrong direction before the last turn will get him to the line earler! Mate your heading in the wrong direction, finish line is the other way. They honda may be extra rigid to support breaking forces and quick turn-in but he's not as good as Stoner.

Muniix

GPR-A wrote:
23 Apr 2018, 14:36
johnny comelately wrote:
22 Apr 2018, 21:55
you can see why marquez was stoners protege, his braking and corner speed a class above.
I am not sure why you say "Stoner's protege". They have no connection. I have heard some folks here talking very highly of Stoner. Sorry, but he was one of those good riders, but nothing legendary. In 12 years of his motorbike racing career, including Moto 2 and 3, he won a meager 2 titles. Whereas MM has won 6 titles in 10 years across those categories. To me, MM is more in the league of Schumacher, in the sense that he can fight for championship and win, even when he doesn't necessarily have the best machinery. In my opinion, Stoner was overrated.

The fact that he chose to retire, considering the dangers of motor racing, to me says, he was probably not the most passionate riders. There are those F1 drivers and then MotoGP riders, all they want to do is race. They make the sport special.
You are quoting no numbers, facts or relevant external factors. Casey can and does when he hops on the Ducati set the best time for a now non-full time rider are the kind of facts to take into consideration as evidenced by Lorenzo's quote "we learn nothing new of Casey's talent'. He was the 'Only' rider able to not only ride the 'un-ridable' ducati but take a championship on it. Every other rider couldn't understand how this was possible, every other rider.

Andres125sx

Muniix wrote:
13 May 2018, 22:15
Dovi was on to win especially given MM thinks that accelerating earlier in the wrong direction before the last turn will get him to the line earler! Mate your heading in the wrong direction, finish line is the other way. They honda may be extra rigid to support breaking forces and quick turn-in but he's not as good as Stoner.
yeah Marc Marquez should ask you how to turn with a MotoGP bike, he knows nothing! :lol: #-o

Unfortunately we will never know who´s better, Stoner got bored and retired so now we can only speculate, but we will never know. We only know Stoner won 2 titles before retiring when he was 27, while Marquez has won 4 titles at the age of 25 :P