Post Numbering.

Everything about this website and its content. Here you will find update announcements or requests for feedback. Questions about layout, functionality, content, and your suggestions are welcome.
J.A.W.

Post Numbering.

Forgive me Steven, if this has been explained in another thread already ( a search indicated - it has not),
but how difficult would it be to add a post # number - to ID reference each post - in a thread?

This would enable a much more cogent method of referring to a particular post..

'See post # 42, this thread' - is way more easy/accurate than - 'See post, 4th from the bottom, on page 47, this thread'.

Any reason this has not, or cannot, be done?
"Well, we knocked the bastard off!"

Ed Hilary on being 1st to top Mt Everest,
(& 1st to do a surface traverse across Antarctica,
in good Kiwi style - riding a Massey Ferguson farm
tractor - with a few extemporised mod's to hack the task).

Phil

Re: Post Numbering.

Why not reference it like this: ?

viewtopic.php?p=766266#p766266

Your post has the (universal) id 766266.
Not for nothing, Rosberg's Championship is the only thing that lends credibility to Hamilton's recent success. Otherwise, he'd just be the guy who's had the best car. — bhall II
#Team44 supporter

wesley123

It already can be done; Before the date time of the post there is a tiny file icon, this contains the link to the post.
"Bite my shiny metal ass" - Bender

Steven
Owner

wesley123 wrote:
19 May 2018, 13:08
It already can be done; Before the date time of the post there is a tiny file icon, this contains the link to the post.
Indeed. Right click it, "copy link", and you have it to share where ever you want.

J.A.W.

Ta for the replies, & I see how that would work, but its not quite.. what I was aiming for..

Rather, I was asking if.. a consecutive # number - could be auto-allocated, to each post - within a topic,
so it could be seen - 'in clear'..

Phil

The problem is (i presume) that the iteration could change, if for example posts are moved away from this topic, or deleted. Either the iteration would change or it wouldnt (but then it would have to be stored as an added attribut in the db).
Not for nothing, Rosberg's Championship is the only thing that lends credibility to Hamilton's recent success. Otherwise, he'd just be the guy who's had the best car. — bhall II
#Team44 supporter

wesley123

J.A.W. wrote:
20 May 2018, 03:54
Ta for the replies, & I see how that would work, but its not quite.. what I was aiming for..

Rather, I was asking if.. a consecutive # number - could be auto-allocated, to each post - within a topic,
so it could be seen - 'in clear'..
That sounds like an overcomplicated solution to a problem that is already solved. Posts are already referred to with a number, they even include the # symbol!

viewtopic.php?p=766379#p766379
"Bite my shiny metal ass" - Bender

J.A.W.

How is having an upfront/analog # number listed on each post.. that can be seen at a glance.. by any means.."overcomplicated"?

(& of course, there'd be nothing to stop any member - from doing the extra digital rigmarole too, for that matter).

Steven
Owner

I'm not sure what would be the use of displaying a 6-digit number. It's not like you'll remember it "at a glance". At least I wouldn't. These large numbers are due to it being global id's.

The option of having numbers within each topic would be difficult, because when a mod then moves or deleted a post, the numbers of subsequent posts may change. In-topic numbers would require some work, which I don't think is worth the effort.

J.A.W.

Hi Steven, & ta for your consideration.

I am proposing the simple addition of a visible consecutive # number to each post,
thus usefully indicating the numerical location of a post, in its thread,
(along with a culmulative post # total , per thread).

Should any post be deleted, then its post # would be automatically be re-applied - to the next post in line.

This method is a common forum feature elsewhere, & I've always been a bit curious as to why - it is not applied here.

(If the particular format 'F1 Technical' uses - makes that too difficult to apply, then ok, I take your position - as reasonable).