Honda Power Unit Hardware & Software

All that has to do with the power train, gearbox, clutch, fuels and lubricants, etc. Generally the mechanical side of Formula One.
flexcon

Re: Honda Power Unit

urbanglowcam wrote:
23 May 2018, 06:26
flexcon wrote:
22 May 2018, 17:32
So I found this video I put together from testing. Forgot to share and post.

Honda engine sound from multiple angles- Pure Sound only. Enjoy :)

https://youtu.be/u3qEZrUJpus
Hah! I thought there was an engine failure at the end before I realized it was in slow-mo. #-o

Thanks for the footage. Was it easier to distinguish the noise from the STR Honda from the others in person?
haha. I used slow Mo as the Honda engine sounds strange compared to the others in Slo-Mo. Just found that interesting, could be nothing though.

100%. Sometimes it sounded quite clean, but once there was the split second longer off the throttle, it just started giving out.
quite funny actually, at the track, whenever it passed by into a slow corner, everyone had the fingers crossed hoping whoever was driving to keep it off throttle a little longer in the corner to get that mean ass sound. It actually became an event with people shouting YAY!!! each time we got a good one. Almost like fireworks, some good ones come and go, but suddenly you get the big Bang and everyone loves it.

It didn't look slower coming out of the corner though, if anything smoother.

Revs84

Gasly has now made it 5 races in a row with the same ICE, turbo and mgu-h and if I'm not mistaken, 6 races with the rest. Honda's efforts during the Winter seems to be paying off =D> Hope they manage the same level of reliability with the 2nd spec [-o<

All in all, considering that work on the new concept started just over 2 years ago, Honda have really done an impressive job!

makecry

Revs84 wrote:
27 May 2018, 20:02
Gasly has now made it 5 races in a row with the same ICE, turbo and mgu-h and if I'm not mistaken, 6 races with the rest. Honda's efforts during the Winter seems to be paying off =D> Hope they manage the same level of reliability with the 2nd spec [-o<

All in all, considering that work on the new concept started just over 2 years ago, Honda have really done an impressive job!
This is a result of Honda's efforts over last 12 months. Not just the winter. But yes, impressive.

Revs84

makecry wrote:
27 May 2018, 21:15
Revs84 wrote:

This is a result of Honda's efforts over last 12 months. Not just the winter. But yes, impressive.
True, but my impression was that last year, the priority was to find more power since they were lagging greatly. Updates were being rolled out as soon as possible without full QA being done.

Reliability was more of a reactive approach, whereby a fix was being sought once something broke, rather than finding reliability in advance.

At the time, that approach made most sense, since they couldn't afford staying so much behind in power.

On the other hand, the focus during Winter seemed to have been mostly on reliability, thus taking a more proactive approach, and it now seems to be paying off.

This means that now they can finally start focusing on more reliable power, rather than having to go on an ad-hoc and unplanned strategy.

Really can't wait to see what the upgraded unit, which is supposed to debut in Canada, will bring! :)

loner

makecry wrote:
Revs84 wrote:

actualy that should of happened 2 years ago except some delusion idiots asked them to produce a very light weight compact PU to take advantage aerodynamically and mechanically in unmeasured way and they've been exposed currently while carrying the same PU like RBR that they are clueless
so the filth of pride of Honda forced them to accept such structure also unmeasured and idiotically as well .. resulted in 2 years gone in vain with the C in the V saga.
now thats done and dusted we are about to see one hell of a season 2019 RBR-Honda VS Mercedes and Ferrari
para bellum.

sn809

[/quote]
2 years gone in vain with the C in the V saga.
[/quote]

Lol quote of the day

Cannonballer

loner wrote:
27 May 2018, 22:26
makecry wrote:
Revs84 wrote:

actualy that should of happened 2 years ago except some delusion idiots asked them to produce a very light weight compact PU to take advantage aerodynamically and mechanically in unmeasured way and they've been exposed currently while carrying the same PU like RBR that they are clueless
so the filth of pride of Honda forced them to accept such structure also unmeasured and idiotically as well .. resulted in 2 years gone in vain with the C in the V saga.
now thats done and dusted we are about to see one hell of a season 2019 RBR-Honda VS Mercedes and Ferrari
Really is a succinct summary of the 13,824 posts before it. Although I do wonder how the c in v saga would have played out if Honda had the same understanding of the hybrid system as they do now.
Wazari wrote: There's a saying in Japan, He might be higher than testicles on a giraffe...........

loner

Cannonballer wrote:
28 May 2018, 06:26
Really is a succinct summary of the 13,824 posts before it. Although I do wonder how the c in v saga would have played out if Honda had the same understanding of the hybrid system as they do now.
well ...
2016-02-09
Why Mercedes doesn't believe in Honda's size zero concept
When asked if it was logical that as efficiency improved, the turbine got bigger, Cowell said: "Yeah. Two areas are going to improve, the efficiency of the ICE is going to go up and up and up every year, and the efficiency of that turbo is going to go up.
"That means the turbine sizing number is going to go up as long as it is not stealing from the engine."
In Mercedes' case, Cowell confirmed that its turbine had got bigger year on year – helping deliver more power.
Had that compressor and turbine size been restricted to the inside of the engine, like the Honda is, then the scope for making it larger is not there – as it will no longer deliver the advantages that size zero supposedly brings along.

It is clear that Mercedes' vision of what's needed in F1 and what Honda believes is right are very different.
the C in the V would never ever succeeded., not to mention COG etc...
para bellum.

Wazari

loner wrote:
"C in the V"....I like it, very clever. Another way to look at it is that the 2 years is actually closer to 4 when you include the prep time involved. However, IMO, some valuable lessons were learned in the process.

"C in the V". I have to remember that.......... 8)
“If Honda does not race, there is no Honda.”

“Success represents the 1% of your work which results from the 99% that is called failure.”

-- Honda Soichiro

maguetox

Wazari wrote:
28 May 2018, 19:19
loner wrote:
"C in the V"....I like it, very clever. Another way to look at it is that the 2 years is actually closer to 4 when you include the prep time involved. However, IMO, some valuable lessons were learned in the process.

"C in the V". I have to remember that.......... 8)
Good to see you around here Wazari san. Something that you can or want to share with us?

ArcticWolfie

@Wazari
Do you know if Honda will bring a mighty upgrade? Since Renault seems to downplay their upgrade... again #-o

etusch

Welcome back Wazari. Good to see you here again.

Wazari

Thanks for the greetings and PM's. As many of you know, I have mixed feelings about posting anymore of this forum but that "C in the V" was just too clever not to comment on. I also had a personal health scare that started about 3 months ago that is now resolved. I am fine.

I do know there is a substantial ICE upgrade built and being tested. For personal reasons I really want to see it in the car. I know it was on the master calendar to be first installed for the Canadian GP. Whether that will happen or not is up to the directors and that decision probably won't be made until next Sunday or Monday. I do know Tanabe-san very well and he is very conservative when it comes to release of new technologies.
“If Honda does not race, there is no Honda.”

“Success represents the 1% of your work which results from the 99% that is called failure.”

-- Honda Soichiro

MMMMMMMM

Wazari-san, glad to hear you are fine !

According to what you know/feel/see do you think that the current 2018 engines are within the illusory 3% ?
Meaning we reached engine parity as it was defined by FIA: 3% gap between the most and the least powerful engine on a Circuit de Catalunya lap.

McHonda

loner wrote:
makecry wrote:
Revs84 wrote:

If it wasn't for those "delusion idiots" then Honda would still be staring at the ERS system like a caveman with a lighter so it's swings and roundabouts,eh?