2018 Scuderia Toro Rosso F1 Team - Honda

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
Big Tea

Re: 2018 Scuderia Toro Rosso F1 Team - Honda

rogazilla wrote:
29 May 2018, 16:22
I start to think Hartley needs to put a rabbit foot on his F1 car key chain...
Or a Hartley foot on the loud peddle :twisted:
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

Snorked
Snorked

Both drivers to take new spec PU in Canada

https://members.f1-life.net/report/69806/

SiLo

Really interested to see how they compare to the McLarens in this race.
Felipe Baby!

rogazilla
rogazilla

Exciting and nervous time. The fact they are replacing Hartley's PU says this is a testing season. Probably does not matter if they incur penalty as long as it is not reliability issue. Guess they want to demostrates the reliability which means they want to stick to the schedule as much as they can and introduce power upgrade when reliability is established. However, penalty is not part of the concern as long as they can show reliability.

HPD

Hartley:
“I’m still pretty positive for Montreal,” he said.
“We have an engine update coming, and we had a new floor here so we had some performance to put on the car.
“It looks like the team is really starting to unlock the car’s potential.”
Pressed on Honda’s forthcoming update, he said: “I don’t know exact numbers, I think it’s better you ask someone from Honda or Toro Rosso.
“But I think it’s meant to be a sizeable step.”

Gasly:
"I'll wait until the Free 1 to see exactly what's the difference on the computer, I learned in Formula 1 that it's better to wait and see until you put something new, because sometimes it does not work as well as you expect. I can only go in the right direction, I am very excited about this improvement, I think we have taken a good step this weekend, Monaco is a special track, but I hope we can keep that pace in the next races. "
https://as.com/motor/2018/05/30/formula ... 20235.html

Ground Effect
Ground Effect

rogazilla wrote:
30 May 2018, 13:59
Exciting and nervous time. The fact they are replacing Hartley's PU says this is a testing season. Probably does not matter if they incur penalty as long as it is not reliability issue. Guess they want to demostrates the reliability which means they want to stick to the schedule as much as they can and introduce power upgrade when reliability is established. However, penalty is not part of the concern as long as they can show reliability.
If the gains are substantial, then the extra power outweighs the grid drop. Canada has overtaking opportunities, so it's not impossible to get into the points, with a good strategy, luck and solid drive.
Apart from the RBR implications, STR also need to be getting both cars in the points from time to time. It's going to be an exciting weekend, Renault also bringing their upgrade, so we'll see.
Q: (Stefano Mancini – La Stampa) Kimi, will you help Vettel to win his championship this year?
Kimi Raikkonen: I can only drive one car, obviously. 
@2018 Singapore Grand Prix drivers press conference.

Ground Effect
Ground Effect

It's been reported on motorsport.com that the a 27bhp bump is expected from the Honda upgrades, translating to 0.3secs. They also said Renault are expecting more modest gains.
Q: (Stefano Mancini – La Stampa) Kimi, will you help Vettel to win his championship this year?

henry

Just because Hartley has taken a new motor it doesn’t mean they cannot run the old motor again at another race. So the likelihood of penalties has not changed at all.
Fortune favours the prepared; she has no favourites and takes no sides.
Truth is confirmed by inspection and delay; falsehood by haste and uncertainty : Tacitus

Talisman
Talisman

Ground Effect wrote:
30 May 2018, 14:59
It's been reported on motorsport.com that the a 27bhp bump is expected from the Honda upgrades, translating to 0.3secs. They also said Renault are expecting more modest gains.
The problem is that the 27 bhp figure is complete speculation and doesn’t come from Honda. It appears to be a refinement of a previous prediction of a 25-30 bhp gain but again with no sources. I’ve seen a Japanese journalist indicate that the number is merely the gap to Mercedes divided by two, therefore the gain needed by Honda with each update to catch up.

maguetox
maguetox

SiLo wrote:
30 May 2018, 13:28
Really interested to see how they compare to the McLarens in this race.
Everybody need to hold their expectations about this upgrade, the full potential will not be reveal in Canada, maybe France or Austria, Honda will run on a "safe mode" this first race in order to validated dyno results and reliability parameters.

Ground Effect
Ground Effect

Talisman wrote:
30 May 2018, 15:41
Ground Effect wrote:
The problem is that the 27 bhp figure is complete speculation and doesn’t come from Honda. It appears to be a refinement of a previous prediction of a 25-30 bhp gain but again with no sources. I’ve seen a Japanese journalist indicate that the number is merely the gap to Mercedes divided by two, therefore the gain needed by Honda with each update to catch up.
The thing is, sometimes the figures come from Honda, on an off record basis, or an insider who doesn't want to be quoted due to not being in a position to give said info. Sometimes they deliberately leak to the press what they want out there. It's a complex game of PR etc. But that said, it's not uncommon for journalists to just do guess work and fill in the gaps when they're not getting info.

etusch

Maybe we we can translate changing two pu as there is good gain that keeping older spec is pointless

RonDennis
RonDennis

Ground Effect wrote:
30 May 2018, 16:17
Talisman wrote:
Ground Effect wrote:
The thing is, sometimes the figures come from Honda, on an off record basis, or an insider who doesn't want to be quoted due to not being in a position to give said info. Sometimes they deliberately leak to the press what they want out there. It's a complex game of PR etc. But that said, it's not uncommon for journalists to just do guess work and fill in the gaps when they're not getting info.
I highly doubt Autosport does that, they know what's going on in the paddock because they are actually there.

rogazilla
rogazilla

I can see they run the new spec at power track and use the old one on Friday for Hartley and on less power sensitive track. However, I am not too convinced with running old engine on Friday, since Honda says they uses Friday to calibrate ERS and mapping. If this is a small update, I can see that but if this is indeed a significant update, I can see them use old or new spec through the weekend and not switching back and forth.

Talisman
Talisman

RonDennis wrote:
30 May 2018, 16:40
Ground Effect wrote:
30 May 2018, 16:17
Talisman wrote:

I highly doubt Autosport does that, they know what's going on in the paddock because they are actually there.
Autosport are as clueless as anyone about Honda.