2018 Aston Martin Red Bull Racing - Tag Heuer (Renault)

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
adrianjordan

Re: 2018 Aston Martin Red Bull Racing - Tag Heuer (Renault)

Weren't they all expecting a new PU in Montreal anyway? I thought Renault were bringing their upgraded units to that race??

Also I get confused. Couldn't he swap it anyway, but would have to take a penalty later in the season if he went over his allocation for the whole season? Ie: He'd only have to take a penalty when he takes his 4th MGU-K...
Favourite driver: Lando Norris
Favourite team: McLaren

Turned down the chance to meet Vettel at Silverstone in 2007. He was a test driver at the time and I didn't think it was worth queuing!! 🤦🏻‍♂️

Benii6

adrianjordan wrote:
30 May 2018, 12:00
Weren't they all expecting a new PU in Montreal anyway? I thought Renault were bringing their upgraded units to that race??

Also I get confused. Couldn't he swap it anyway, but would have to take a penalty later in the season if he went over his allocation for the whole season? Ie: He'd only have to take a penalty when he takes his 4th MGU-K...
I think there is a limit of 2 MGU-Ks per year.

johnny vee

Only the ES and CE have a limit of 2 for the year without penalty.
MGU-K is 3 for the year...
"Because you didn't come here to make the choice, you've already made it. You're here to try to understand why you made it. I thought you'd have figured that out by now." The Oracle, Matrix Reloaded

Wouter

johnny vee wrote:
30 May 2018, 16:09
Only the ES and CE have a limit of 2 for the year without penalty.
MGU-K is 3 for the year...

From the Formula1 site:
Each driver is permitted to use only three ICE, MGU-H and TC, and only two ES, CE and MGU-K during a championship season and any combination of them may be fitted to a car at any one time. Should a driver use more than that during the course of a season, a grid penalty will be imposed.
The Power of Dreams!

johnny vee

Thank you Wouter, I stand corrected.
"Because you didn't come here to make the choice, you've already made it. You're here to try to understand why you made it. I thought you'd have figured that out by now." The Oracle, Matrix Reloaded

loner

loner wrote:
20 Apr 2018, 21:45
congratulations MASSIVE jump coming...
according to Abiteboul Renault will give you half a second from the PU in race trim soon which will make RBR unlock performance from the chassis as well , if this to happen its very possible for RBR to get the 2018 title
i wonder if we can question the reliability of this information source though...
for Canada
Renault:
"It's a small gain in power, although we know we won't be the only one [bringing an engine upgrade].
:roll: that mean not before another 8 races for Renault to introduce a nother upgrade...
para bellum.

adrianjordan

loner wrote:
31 May 2018, 16:31
loner wrote:
according to Abiteboul Renault will give you half a second from the PU in race trim soon which will make RBR unlock performance from the chassis as well , if this to happen its very possible for RBR to get the 2018 title
i wonder if we can question the reliability of this information source though...
for Canada
Renault:
"It's a small gain in power, although we know we won't be the only one [bringing an engine upgrade].
:roll: that mean not before another 8 races for Renault to introduce a nother upgrade...
Well that's the problem with only having 3 PU per season.

Turned down the chance to meet Vettel at Silverstone in 2007. He was a test driver at the time and I didn't think it was worth queuing!! 🤦🏻‍♂️

loner

adrianjordan wrote:
31 May 2018, 17:45
loner wrote:
31 May 2018, 16:31
loner wrote:
for Canada
Renault:
Well that's the problem with only having 3 PU per season.
why not Renault approach in R&D ?!!
para bellum.

adrianjordan

Doesn't matter what their R&D is like. You can only introduce so many updates in a season with limited PU usage. RBR are potentially in the run for WDC at present, so they're not going to start taking additional penalties for PU changes when they don't have to.

loner

adrianjordan wrote:
01 Jun 2018, 00:25
Doesn't matter what their R&D is like. You can only introduce so many updates in a season with limited PU usage. RBR are potentially in the run for WDC at present, so they're not going to start taking additional penalties for PU changes when they don't have to.
it does .. if the Canada upgrade was more powerful it would help 3 teams to perform better , you won't be worry about
when to update if you have strong PU already...
para bellum.

adrianjordan

Sorry, I don't follow your logic.

If you're in the fight for the championship you are not going to be taking new PU's above your standard allocation with the associated penalties. Therefore the PU supplier will only introduce updates to coincide with when those new units are expected.

loner

RBR not winning on merit lets not kid ourselves they are not in the fight for the title .. because Renault don't provide them with top PU due to lack of R&D, same 3 PU per year rule for Mercedes and Ferrari.
Renault say the upcoming upgrade is small this is not 3 PU per year fault.
para bellum.

ME4ME

I think the races they have won were very much on merit. Monaco because of the excellent car and China because of great team work with strategy and double-stacking the cars twice in the pit. Red Bull has certainly waisted points though, so if they're a realistic title contender has yet to be seen. It's a long shot for sure, and depends to a great extent on Renaults relative PU performance after the introduction of the upgrade package.

godlameroso

On normal tracks Ferrari and Mercedes are still slightly ahead, on aero heavy tracks that require good tire wear because of low traction Red Bull is more than a match. I think however that both Mercedes and Ferrari have more efficient engines than the Renault. The Red Bull has to save fuel more often than Ferrari or Mercedes. They tend to be the faster car towards the end of the race but by then it's too late the other two have better early and mid race pace.
Saishū kōnā

Phil

I'm especially curious to see how the intra-team-dynamics continue at RedBull. No doubt, Verstappen is the guy to beat on pure pace, but at the moment he is driving with huge risk for reward, while his team-mate seems to just nail that good balance of getting the most out of himself with little error. Right now, Daniel has more than double the points of Max.

After 6 races:

1: Lewis Hamilton 110
2. Sebastian Vettel 96 (-14)
3. Daniel Ricciardo 72 (-38)
4. Valtteri Bottas 68 (-42)
5. Kimi Raikkonen 60 (-50)
6. Max Verstappen 35 (-75)

Considering how consistent both Hamilton and Vettel are running, even if Max were to win the next 3 races could not take the lead in the championship, not even by a long shot, unless you assume both Lewis and Seb failing to score points in all of the next 3 races. That's already a huge gap...

RedBull have gone all out in giving Max a huge long-term contract, while Daniel, the guy who is 3rd in the championship and 37 points ahead of his team-mate, does not. Surely, they will not do team-orders, but you do have to wonder....
Not for nothing, Rosberg's Championship is the only thing that lends credibility to Hamilton's recent success. Otherwise, he'd just be the guy who's had the best car. — bhall II
#Team44 supporter