Drinking from the shoe, 'shoey'.

Post anything that doesn't belong in any other forum, including gaming and topics unrelated to motorsport. Site specific discussions should go in the site feedback forum.
Phil

Re: Drinking from the shoe, 'shoey'.

From Wikipedia:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Drinking_from_shoes

Wikipedia wrote:Drinking from a shoe has historically been performed as both a bringer of good fortune and as a hazing punishment. Drinking champagne from a lady's slipper became a symbol of decadence in the early 20th century.

Drinking beer out of one's own shoe is a ritual sometimes undertaken at parties and events in Australia, where it is referred to as a "shoey".[1][2] Australian MotoGP rider Jack Miller celebrated his first premier class victory by drinking champagne out of his shoe, at the Dutch circuit of Assen, on 26 June 2016. Since then, Formula One driver Daniel Ricciardo, another Australian, has also performed shoeys on the podium.
Not for nothing, Rosberg's Championship is the only thing that lends credibility to Hamilton's recent success. Otherwise, he'd just be the guy who's had the best car. — bhall II
#Team44 supporter

coaster

I thought Jack Miller was to blame, was'nt aware of the historical significance though.

AJI
AJI

J.A.W. wrote:
30 May 2018, 04:36

...Aussie Indy 500 winner, Will Power - broke with his compatriots 'tradition' on the weekend, eschewing a boot-glug..
..albeit, the Indy 500 celebratory fluid offering.. is milk, rather than Champers.. could've* had a bit to do with it..
Milk from a race boot is truly disgusting, so I'm not surprised he took a pass on that...
I have an old pair of race boots. I might give them the Champagne taste test. 'A cheeky little number. Rubbery, with hints of a suede leather upper...'

NL_Fer

Ric once mentioned because of the cold champagne, you don’t taste much.

Would like see the Stroll parents when Lance took a sip of dirt in Baku last year.

Edax

NL_Fer wrote:
30 May 2018, 19:16

Would like see the Stroll parents when Lance took a sip of dirt in Baku last year.
Apparently in Canada they like their drinks with a toe still in it so I guess they weren’t too impressed.

https://www.atlasobscura.com/places/sourtoe-cocktail

As far as disgusting goes they both rate pretty highly on my “things I do not intent to do before I die” list.

That the aussies apparently prefer the taste of their own feet over a $3000/bottle of champagne, makes you wonder why they even try to become a wine producing nation.

J.A.W.

Hey fella.. check your prejudice.. FYI - the importance of potable ETOH in Australia.. goes way back..
(If interested..
..check - 'the NSW Rum rebellion' - of over 2 centuries ago..
..whereby poor ol' Governor.. William Bligh* - had to contend with the corruptive influence.. of the dreaded - 'grog' .)

& wine has been long-since.. well-established: https://www.wineaustralia.com/what-s-ha ... and-family

While capital 'C' Champagne is nowadays.. a French/EU trademark.. downunder, such 'bubbles'.. are a 'sheila's tipple'.**

*Yeah, the very same.. 'Mutiny on the Bounty' - Royal Navy skipper..

** i.e. seen as really only as fit for.. 'women, toffs, & pooftas' - & thus 'up for' - a 'dirty dog/shoey' - on public display..
"Well, we knocked the bastard off!"

Ed Hilary on being 1st to top Mt Everest,
(& 1st to do a surface traverse across Antarctica,
in good Kiwi style - riding a Massey Ferguson farm
tractor - with a few extemporised mod's to hack the task).