2018 Aston Martin Red Bull Racing - Tag Heuer (Renault)

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
epo
epo

Re: 2018 Aston Martin Red Bull Racing - Tag Heuer (Renault)

Phil wrote:
02 Jun 2018, 19:50
I'm especially curious to see how the intra-team-dynamics continue at RedBull. No doubt, Verstappen is the guy to beat on pure pace, but at the moment he is driving with huge risk for reward, while his team-mate seems to just nail that good balance of getting the most out of himself with little error. Right now, Daniel has more than double the points of Max.

After 6 races:

1: Lewis Hamilton 110
2. Sebastian Vettel 96 (-14)
3. Daniel Ricciardo 72 (-38)
4. Valtteri Bottas 68 (-42)
5. Kimi Raikkonen 60 (-50)
6. Max Verstappen 35 (-75)

Considering how consistent both Hamilton and Vettel are running, even if Max were to win the next 3 races could not take the lead in the championship, not even by a long shot, unless you assume both Lewis and Seb failing to score points in all of the next 3 races. That's already a huge gap...

RedBull have gone all out in giving Max a huge long-term contract, while Daniel, the guy who is 3rd in the championship and 37 points ahead of his team-mate, does not. Surely, they will not do team-orders, but you do have to wonder....
Because Ricciardo didn't want to sign a new contract last year and wanted to see his options first this year.
And Max his contract is not that special compared to the Mercedes or Ferrari drivers.

sn809

Horner has stated all RBR contracts come with heavy performance bonus. The Monaco loss is stinging Max so much as he was sure to get a huge Payout.

Webber2011

sn809 wrote:
03 Jun 2018, 07:35
Horner has stated all RBR contracts come with heavy performance bonus. The Monaco loss is stinging Max so much as he was sure to get a huge Payout.
Reckon we've all known that RBR pays big bonuses instead of big salary for a while now.
They've been doing that for years from what I can tell.
Reliable estimates put the figure at 1 million bonus per win per driver 😯

PlatinumZealot

Yes i have heard that fugure touted before.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

godlameroso

Max will come out alright. Riccardo is closer to Max's raw pace but not quite there yet. Max should focus on finishing and the results will come.
Saishū kōnā

GhostF1

https://www.autosport.com/f1/news/13652 ... id-penalty

The K was not salvageable after all. Renault bringing up the first grid penalties this year..

Hopefully Dan has a blinder and recovers to a healthy position.

AJI
AJI

Hopefully Dan has a blinder and recovers to a healthy position.
He's always interesting to watch from the back of the field. With a strategic Q2 tyre choice, a new K and ES and upgraded ICE, he'll be up there.
Throw in a safety car on lap 2, a free mid race pit stop under VSC and a Ferrari strategy fail and he could end up on the podium...

carisi2k

Will Red Bull actually take the new engine in canada when it would involve another penalty for max at the minimum and probably a penalty for Daniel as well. My thinking is that they will wait till austria since that is a bit of a power circuit.

GhostF1

carisi2k wrote:
05 Jun 2018, 02:25
Will Red Bull actually take the new engine in canada when it would involve another penalty for max at the minimum and probably a penalty for Daniel as well. My thinking is that they will wait till austria since that is a bit of a power circuit.
It's possible, if they are already taking at least a 10 stop penalty (15+ if the energy store or control electronics need doing also, which I have a feeling will happen), taking the extra places for a whole new PU is surely worth it, it also means they can keep the current spec in the pool for less power hungry tracks.

djos

Quote from Newey:
Newey also refuted suggestions the MGU-K in Ricciardo’s car is salvageable.

“I rather doubt it, considering it caught fire and was a burnt out, charred wreck,” Newey told Reuters.

“I would be somewhat surprised at that one.”

“He will definitely be taking some penalties in Montreal, we haven’t heard at the moment just how many,” he added.
Sounds like Renault have been smoking crack again!

https://www.speedcafe.com/2018/06/05/ri ... es-canada/
"In downforce we trust"

baybars

Re: Renault V6 Power Unit

I think Ricciardo have one spare MGU-K.
He suffered turbo problem China fp3 but all unit was changed because of time

iichel

Re: Renault V6 Power Unit

RIC is said to take a grid penalty at Canada for the 3rd MGU-K
https://uk.reuters.com/article/uk-motor ... KKCN1J02NL

dxpetrov

GhostF1 wrote:
05 Jun 2018, 03:41
carisi2k wrote:
It's possible, if they are already taking at least a 10 stop penalty (15+ if the energy store or control electronics need doing also, which I have a feeling will happen), taking the extra places for a whole new PU is surely worth it, it also means they can keep the current spec in the pool for less power hungry tracks.
Nonsense. There is no penalty for taking another PU as long as it's withing allotted season's pool. They can take any of the allowed elements anytime, of course it would mean compromising later races. It's not up to Renault to decide either, if RBR wanted new engine. It's part of their the strategic choice to inquire engine using the best possible spec available, which is becoming now, in Canada, as per Renault's announcement.

carisi2k

dxpetrov wrote:
05 Jun 2018, 14:42
GhostF1 wrote:
05 Jun 2018, 03:41
carisi2k wrote:
Nonsense. There is no penalty for taking another PU as long as it's withing allotted season's pool. They can take any of the allowed elements anytime, of course it would mean compromising later races. It's not up to Renault to decide either, if RBR wanted new engine. It's part of their the strategic choice to inquire engine using the best possible spec available, which is becoming now, in Canada, as per Renault's announcement.
Daniel is already at his limit for K and battery and since his mgu-k was burnt to a crisp he will unfortunately have no choice but to take penalties.

PhillipM

Yes, but he wouldn't get to take the hit for a full PU here if he swapped it all, as the rest of the engine would just come out of the allocation for the year.