2018 TT

Please discuss here all your remarks and pose your questions about all racing series, except Formula One. Both technical and other questions about GP2, Touring cars, IRL, LMS, ...
strad

2018 TT

Watched the Superbikes last night.
Dean Harrison was flat out flying till his Kawasaki let him down. Shouldn't actually say his bike let him down. I think it was the plugs or the like. He said it started mis-firing.
Not just setting new records but smashing the old ones.
To achieve anything, you must be prepared to dabble on the boundary of disaster.”
Sir Stirling Moss

Just_a_fan

Re: 2018 TT

Assuming it's visible outside of the UK, you might be interested in this piece:
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/motorsport/44083363

The determination and single minded focus of these guys in the face of injuries the rest of us would take as a sign to do something else, is amazing. Watching him drag himself off the racing line with a shattered leg is, well, unreal.
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

NathanE

If you ever get the chance I thoroughly recommend going to watch. I have family over there so get over to watch it from time to time. It really is an event like no other.

roon

Just_a_fan wrote:
03 Jun 2018, 20:03
Assuming it's visible outside of the UK, you might be interested in this piece:
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/motorsport/44083363

The determination and single minded focus of these guys in the face of injuries the rest of us would take as a sign to do something else, is amazing. Watching him drag himself off the racing line with a shattered leg is, well, unreal.
Yeah. That almost became more than a shattered leg.

Andres125sx

Reading that article one wonder about the difference between bravery and madness

Just_a_fan

I think you need to think in terms of addiction rather than madness/bravery.

These guys live for the thrill and for the win (those that are good enough to win, anyway). It's the high of the thrill that drags them back. No different to a drug addict. Neither is really in control of that high, neither really has a choice. Sadly, not all survive the trip. The lucky ones get to start a new life and move on.

Having said that, they are all entirely f'king mad! 8)

Andres125sx

Just_a_fan wrote:
04 Jun 2018, 19:15
I think you need to think in terms of addiction rather than madness/bravery.

These guys live for the thrill and for the win (those that are good enough to win, anyway). It's the high of the thrill that drags them back. No different to a drug addict. Neither is really in control of that high, neither really has a choice. Sadly, not all survive the trip. The lucky ones get to start a new life and move on.

Having said that, they are all entirely f'king mad! 8)
:lol: :lol:

This is from 2017, but it´s well worth watching, even if you watched it at the day.... :wtf: :wtf: :wtf: :wtf:

strad

2018 TT Superbikes about 900 Mb
http://www.stradsplace.com/VIDEOS/2018- ... rbikes.mp4
By the way I confused two retirements. It wasn't Dean Kawasaki that started misfiring.
However I still doubt it was the bike but something else. A real shame cause he was flying.
To achieve anything, you must be prepared to dabble on the boundary of disaster.”
Sir Stirling Moss

J.A.W.

C'mon guys.. enough with all the - 'these guys are fully pathological!' - hype, already.. huh..

Why not just give them due credit - for steely-nerved riding talent, high-speed concentration & memory skills.
"Well, we knocked the bastard off!"

Ed Hilary on being 1st to top Mt Everest,
(& 1st to do a surface traverse across Antarctica,
in good Kiwi style - riding a Massey Ferguson farm
tractor - with a few extemporised mod's to hack the task).

strad

Jaw
I fully agree.
Even in light of the losses.
RIP Adam Lyon
RIP Dan Kneen
Sir Stirling Moss

Andres125sx

J.A.W. wrote:
05 Jun 2018, 05:56
C'mon guys.. enough with all the - 'these guys are fully pathological!' - hype, already.. huh..

Why not just give them due credit - for steely-nerved riding talent, high-speed concentration & memory skills.
Because nowadays nobody need to risk his life so blatantly to prove steely-nerved riding talent, high-speed concentration & memory skills

It´s more a matter of look at me people, I´m a macho man with no fear/brain

To demostrate talent there are much better scenarios, there´s a reason no top driver race at TT

Anycase I still admire them and would love to go there and watch a race sometime

J.A.W.

Since when did "need" - even enter - the realm of motorsport?

Compare skydiving - there is no 'need' to parachute from a fully functional aircraft*.. yet it is done,
& unlike the TT bike racers, with skydiving.. most any serious equipment flaw.. has a 'fatal' outcome..

* Let alone 'base-jumping' off cliffs, buildings & the like..
"Well, we knocked the bastard off!"

Ed Hilary on being 1st to top Mt Everest,
(& 1st to do a surface traverse across Antarctica,
in good Kiwi style - riding a Massey Ferguson farm
tractor - with a few extemporised mod's to hack the task).

Andres125sx

That´s the difference, for skydiving or base jumping there´s no other option to do it safer. If you like it you must assume that risk

Motorcycling on the other hand can be done on a much much safer environement, so the only reason to assume such a high risk for your live is proving how big are your balls

That´s the reason I wonder if it´s a matter of big balls or small brain as it´s completely unnecessary, if you enjoy bikes and racing you can do it without those risks, but obviously it is not a matter of proving your talent. Talented riders race at very different tracks

And plese note I´ve never feared assuming risks, I´ve been MX rider for around 10 years, broken several bones and ligaments and I´ve been operated twice and neither of those injuries or operations stopped me from practicing MX, but in my eyes there must be some reason to assume any risk, but if you can do the same without risking your life...

Ok the feeling must be different between buildings, that´s the only reason I wonder if it´s a matter of bravery or madness, if not I´d assert they´re all mad :mrgreen:

Just_a_fan

I think the reality is just that the TT hasn't evolved over time as other motor racing has. For example, back in the day, F1 did the equivalent of the TT at a number of circuits. Look at the old version of Spa, look at the Nordschleife, look at other races - the Mille Miglia, for example. These all died off or were "sanitised" to make them safer.

The TT is a throwback to an earlier time. It's not wrong, it's just different. All of the riders know it's a potentially lethal place to ride but all do it because, like the Nordschleife is to some car drivers, it's the ultimate motorcycling venue. There are some other road races for motorbikes but non really touch the TT.

They ride it to challenge themselves, mostly. A few are good enough to excel and win repeatedly but the others ride it because it's their nirvana, I guess.

strad

It´s more a matter of look at me people, I´m a macho man with no fear/brain
Good Heavens! Is that how you really see it? Or are you looking for attention yourself?
If you see it that way you really don't understand.
Why push the limits at Bonneville or anywhere?You are never more alive. Same goes for free climbing and lots of other dangerous pastimes.

Do you really not understand you take what Mario called that "calculated risk" every time you drive your personal car?
Sir Stirling Moss