2018 Canadian Grand Prix, Montreal June 8-10

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
LM10
LM10

Re: 2018 Canadian Grand Prix, Montreal June 8-10

djos wrote:
01 Jun 2018, 06:22
FrukostScones wrote:
31 May 2018, 11:59
Rain or no rain, Verstappen will win this GP.
I'm curious to see if he can get through a GP weekend without damaging his car..... :lol:
Or the car of any other driver.. AMuS analyzed where Max most probably would have been, if he didn't crash in all the races so far. What they came up with was that he would have had 90 instead of 35 points overall, so an increase of incredible 55 points. This would have put him in 3rd place.

What's more, Vettel would have been 1st with 107 points and a margin of 12 points to Hamilton with 95 points in 2nd. But the reality is that Hamilton leads with 14 points. So Max not only influences his own season heavily, but also the championship fight upfront which is a no-go.

https://www.auto-motor-und-sport.de/for ... en-fehler/

A pretty fair analysis, if you ask me. They even put Bottas as a winner in Baku even though for this to happen he should have overtaken Vettel at race pace first which in their opinion was going to happen.

TAG

Juzh wrote:
05 Jun 2018, 14:27
Fulcrum wrote:
31 May 2018, 07:37
Well, I don't know about that. This looks like one of Ferrari's least competitive tracks based on the results since 2014.
Results don't tell the whole story. From 2015-2017 they were clearly 2nd fastest, but a variety of circumstances prevented them getting better placings.
Well they should have no issues getting a commanding 1-2 victory this year with a car that's the head of the field!
माकडाच्या हाती कोलीत

SiLo

I wouldn't be so sure. I think the Merc will be quick, especially in the hands of Hamilton.
Felipe Baby!

Monster Hesh
Monster Hesh

This race will be a good comparison between Baku, where Ferrari comfortably had the fastest car. Whether upgrades brought in Spain really have changed the order or if it was just characteristics. The fact that Ferrari engines were leading all speed traps until Spain, then struggle to trouble the top half in Spain, could stem from their FIA investigation and further oil burning directives. Perhaps this is just a very fluid season for form, as it seems a constant flow of updates, Ferrari most aggressive in the first flyaway saga.

NathanOlder

LM10 wrote:
06 Jun 2018, 12:42
djos wrote:
FrukostScones wrote:
31 May 2018, 11:59
Rain or no rain, Verstappen will win this GP.
I'm curious to see if he can get through a GP weekend without damaging his car..... :lol:
Or the car of any other driver.. AMuS analyzed where Max most probably would have been, if he didn't crash in all the races so far. What they came up with was that he would have had 90 instead of 35 points overall, so an increase of incredible 55 points. This would have put him in 3rd place.

What's more, Vettel would have been 1st with 107 points and a margin of 12 points to Hamilton with 95 points in 2nd. But the reality is that Hamilton leads with 14 points. So Max not only influences his own season heavily, but also the championship fight upfront which is a no-go.

A pretty fair analysis, if you ask me. They even put Bottas as a winner in Baku even though for this to happen he should have overtaken Vettel at race pace first which in their opinion was going to happen.
I saw the title of that or a very similar piece but didnt read it. Was something like "Where would Max be without mistakes"

I didn't read it because if no one made mistakes you would have Max and Danny qualifying with identical times and finishing the race side by side, as would both Mercedes and Ferrari and Mclaren and Renault ect ect

If no one made a mistake , The fastest car wins every time with his team mate a second behind.

I just saw it as a completely pointless article. They might as well have said,

If Mclaren built the best car, Alonso would be leading the championship.
GoLandoGo
Lewis v2.0
King George has arrived.

New found love for GT racing with Assetto Corsa Competizione on PS5 & PC

iotar__

LM10 wrote:

AAAA%$$^&%$#%^
- It's only fair if you consider pointless and absurd rewriting of reality for marketing purposes as fair. It's complicated, mostly wrong and one-sided when it's about reliability or random events. This is much worse.

- Did this "analysis" include Verstappen crashing when he didn't? Of course not. It's not an absurd point at all, mistake free long runs are rare. How about any other driver crashing at any time affecting results directly or indirectly - same type of event they magically removed and counted the points? Nope.
- Limiting it to past events - how about any other crash by any other driver - like Bottas in Australia?

- Fine, limiting it to Verstappen - how about counting the points when he gets all the penalties he did not get. Grid after Baku, time in Aus and so on? Nope, because it's ONLY GOOD NEWS MARKETING article :wink:

- Back to Verstappen, example: if he doesn't crash in Monaco FP3 where does he start/finish? Starts second and loses two places at the start? Fourth and three? Crashes in the race? Crashes in Q? No - it's the second best made up event possible. Why? Because it's ONLY GOOD NEWS MARKETING article.

Why not the first place? Perhaps because he crashed in the real world which they erased meaning it can't be used but they still did presenting him with second but not any lower place... If it is most likely event why not crash in Q or in the race =P~ ?

Edit: As for Vettel there's a big difference between losing points because Verstappen crashed into him and a mistake during SC restart caused by a crash.

LM10
LM10

NathanOlder and iotar, i get your points.

But this article is purely concentrated on the influence Verstappen's crashes had on himself primarily (like telling Max " look what you could possibly have achieved") and secondly they also stated what could have been different upfront. Of course, not even close to all factors were considered (for example not the possible grid penalties like you mentioned iotar). It was not the intention and would be impossible to monitor anyway.

Mistakes happen all the time from every driver, but Verstappen's crashes in the majority of the races which changed the direction of his and other's races shouldn't be put in the category "mistake", yet alone minor mistake. Max driving bumper car in his own world is not a mistake, just plain stupidity, ignorance and disrespect. And if he starts affecting other driver's season on a regular basis (which for now is the case) then there should be a limit and it shouldn't be tolerated anymore.

As you can see, I'm not defending Max, rather the opposite. Just saying in case you had this feeling.

Restomaniac
Restomaniac

The problem is that you can pick any driver apart.
What if Bottas didn't crash in Qualy in Australia? Hamilton has a rear gunner and wins, etc.

Wynters
Wynters

Apropos of nothing... Isn't this the track where Ocon kept a Mercedes on fresh tyres behind him for multiple laps?

Saxmansaxman
Saxmansaxman

Jackles-UK wrote:
05 Jun 2018, 22:56
I’m guessing that one doesn’t number T5 as a corner as it is really only a curved run in towards the braking zone for the next chicane.

As a side note, is the corner itself actually called Wall of Champions or is it just the the wall on the exit as I thought? Naming an entire corner after a technically unrelated part of architecture on the exit would be like calling the Parabolica “previously gravelled tarmac run-off” :lol:
Or you could just look at the two maps. The difference is one calls the beginning of the DRS zone T12, and the other ignores that point.

Wall of Champions is unofficial. But true!

Saxman

giantfan10
giantfan10

Monster Hesh wrote:
06 Jun 2018, 13:47
This race will be a good comparison between Baku, where Ferrari comfortably had the fastest car. Whether upgrades brought in Spain really have changed the order or if it was just characteristics. The fact that Ferrari engines were leading all speed traps until Spain, then struggle to trouble the top half in Spain, could stem from their FIA investigation and further oil burning directives. Perhaps this is just a very fluid season for form, as it seems a constant flow of updates, Ferrari most aggressive in the first flyaway saga.
OR it could stem from issues with tires in Barcelona... no scratch that it was issues with tires so you can put your Mercedes fueled conspiracy nonsense to bed ...

epo
epo

NathanOlder wrote:
06 Jun 2018, 13:57
LM10 wrote:
djos wrote:

I saw the title of that or a very similar piece but didnt read it. Was something like "Where would Max be without mistakes"

I didn't read it because if no one made mistakes you would have Max and Danny qualifying with identical times and finishing the race side by side, as would both Mercedes and Ferrari and Mclaren and Renault ect ect

If no one made a mistake , The fastest car wins every time with his team mate a second behind.

I just saw it as a completely pointless article. They might as well have said,

If Mclaren built the best car, Alonso would be leading the championship.

If you can't read then don't respond. I am not a fan of those articles also, but Max had the pace and the car to get those points. Mistakes, bad judgement calls, too eager made him make those mistakes.
The comparison with McLaren is just an example that you don't get it.

You and Iotar dude have a grudge against Max which is fine, just keep for yourself pretty please. Anyways you prolly respond but I'm kinda done with you guys and your problems.

NathanOlder

No, what I'm saying is, that scenario where Max "doesnt make a mistake" is absolute trash. He finishes 4th in Australia, and why would that have been, because the Haas he was stuc behind failed to finish, due to a mistake.

The article should have been called

Where would Max be in the championship without mistakes, BUT EVERYONE ELSE KEEPS THEIR MISTAKES.

So again, the article is complete crap, and pointless, just like me saying

"If Mclaren built the best car, Alonso would be leading the championship."

it would be complete crap and pointless.

So if you cant read my post, then dont respond #-o
GoLandoGo
Lewis v2.0
King George has arrived.

New found love for GT racing with Assetto Corsa Competizione on PS5 & PC

Restomaniac
Restomaniac

giantfan10 wrote:
06 Jun 2018, 21:19
Monster Hesh wrote:
06 Jun 2018, 13:47
OR it could stem from issues with tires in Barcelona... no scratch that it was issues with tires so you can put your Mercedes fueled conspiracy nonsense to bed ...
Would those tyre issues be the ones that Vettel himself admitted helped save them from an even bigger problem?

I bring this up as your post seemed keen to put conspiracy nonsense to bed.

Restomaniac
Restomaniac

NathanOlder wrote:
06 Jun 2018, 22:03
No, what I'm saying is, that scenario where Max "doesnt make a mistake" is absolute trash. He finishes 4th in Australia, and why would that have been, because the Haas he was stuc behind failed to finish, due to a mistake.

The article should have been called

Where would Max be in the championship without mistakes, BUT EVERYONE ELSE KEEPS THEIR MISTAKES.

So again, the article is complete crap, and pointless, just like me saying

"If Mclaren built the best car, Alonso would be leading the championship."

it would be complete crap and pointless.

So if you cant read my post, then dont respond #-o
Exactly.
As I said earlier another good example would be. What if Bottas hadn’t crashed out in Australia? Hamilton ends up with a rear gunner and wins, instead of being on his own and exposed to the under/overcut as well as the now obvious VSC. You can’t just pick apart 1 thread of the season and leave the rest alone.

Also that piece seems to ignore time causality too. Any of those changes effect what happens after it so they have no clue what would have happened after the first change they seem desperate for.