how much turbo pressure does today's f1 engines have?

All that has to do with the power train, gearbox, clutch, fuels and lubricants, etc. Generally the mechanical side of Formula One.
lawnmower

how much turbo pressure does today's f1 engines have?

does anyone knows?

trinidefender

Re: how much turbo pressure does today's f1 engines have?

Somewhere between 2.5 to 4.0 bar gauge pressure is what I seem to recall most calculations coming out at.

lawnmower

trinidefender wrote:
05 Apr 2018, 21:32
Somewhere between 2.5 to 4.0 bar gauge pressure is what I seem to recall most calculations coming out at.
thanks, i think they have high compression ratio and low turbo pressure

trinidefender

That was bar (atmospheres) not psi, that's between 36 and 58 psi so in other words high turbocharger pressures as well

J.A.W.

ATA is AFAIR, the correct metric, rather than bar - for forced induction pressure - values..
"Well, we knocked the bastard off!"

Ed Hilary on being 1st to top Mt Everest,
(& 1st to do a surface traverse across Antarctica,
in good Kiwi style - riding a Massey Ferguson farm
tractor - with a few extemporised mod's to hack the task).

Tommy Cookers

most people talk of boost but mean absolute pressure
eg the 1988 F1 turbocharged engines were limited to 2.5 bar absolute not 2.5 bar boost

early in the current F1 Renault publicity material gave 3.5 bar (and we try to remember whether 3.5 bar abs or not)

strad

This part has always confused me:
The bar is a metric unit of pressure, but is not approved as part of the International System of Units (SI). It is defined as exactly equal to 100,000 Pa, which is slightly less than the current average atmospheric pressure on Earth at sea level.
I always thought it was one atmosphere. 14.7?
To achieve anything, you must be prepared to dabble on the boundary of disaster.”
Sir Stirling Moss

trinidefender

Tommy Cookers wrote:
07 Jun 2018, 11:05
most people talk of boost but mean absolute pressure
eg the 1988 F1 turbocharged engines were limited to 2.5 bar absolute not 2.5 bar boost

early in the current F1 Renault publicity material gave 3.5 bar (and we try to remember whether 3.5 bar abs or not)
Renault didn't specify which they were referring to did they?

Maritimer

strad wrote:
07 Jun 2018, 21:55
This part has always confused me:
The bar is a metric unit of pressure, but is not approved as part of the International System of Units (SI). It is defined as exactly equal to 100,000 Pa, which is slightly less than the current average atmospheric pressure on Earth at sea level.
I always thought it was one atmosphere. 14.7?
The Bar is 14.5 psi, close to atmospheric average but not the same

strad

Thanks but I know that now. It's just that for most of my life I thought 1 BAR was 1 atmospheric pressure. wasn't till a few years ago that my mis-conception was pointed out to me.
Came up when I was talking with someone about how my supercharged cars pounds of boost compared with other machines that measure the boost in BARs.
To achieve anything, you must be prepared to dabble on the boundary of disaster.”
Sir Stirling Moss

gruntguru

lawnmower wrote:
05 Apr 2018, 21:19
does anyone knows?
A bit less than this Cummins.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kqVwHJPV-XE

See dyno runs at 3:00.
je suis charlie

lawnmower

Why did not turbocharged + supercharged this way in 1980's turbo cars? Crankshaft could get power from exhaust gas

J.A.W.

Likely due to free-wheeling F1 turbo-tech ~30 years back.. being far more simplistic/basic..

& those Napier high-efficiency* turbo-compound set-ups - were predicated on continuous/steady-state running..
with the excess jet-thrust generated** - also being useful for propulsion..

*& they were 'multi-fuel' engines.. capable of running on (low-test) gasoline/avtur/diesel - as required.

**Also able to employ reheat/after-burner mode - for extra take-off power.
"Well, we knocked the bastard off!"

Ed Hilary on being 1st to top Mt Everest,
(& 1st to do a surface traverse across Antarctica,
in good Kiwi style - riding a Massey Ferguson farm
tractor - with a few extemporised mod's to hack the task).

wuzak

lawnmower wrote:
08 Jun 2018, 04:00
Why did not turbocharged + supercharged this way in 1980's turbo cars? Crankshaft could get power from exhaust gas
Keithe Duckworth did propose a turbo-compound engine, but it didn't proceed as the FIA said it would be banned after it won its first race.

wuzak

strad wrote:
08 Jun 2018, 02:37
Thanks but I know that now. It's just that for most of my life I thought 1 BAR was 1 atmospheric pressure. wasn't till a few years ago that my mis-conception was pointed out to me.
Came up when I was talking with someone about how my supercharged cars pounds of boost compared with other machines that measure the boost in BARs.
Of course 1bar = 100kPa, and standard atmospheric pressure is 101.325kPa.

And 1 atmosphere (atm) = 101.325kPa

And it can be further confused - the pressure can be boost (pressure above standard or ambient pressure, depending on definition*) or Manifold Absolute Pressure (MAP).

The 1988 turbos were constrained to 2.5bar MAP, which is 1.5bar boost at sea level.

*In WW2 the British used boost, defined as pressure above the standard sea level air pressure (14.7psi). The Americans used MAP, measured in inHg. The Germans used Ata, which was a technical atmosphere absolute (ie not boost)