2018 McLaren F1 Team - Renault

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
Chicane
Chicane

Re: 2018 McLaren F1 Team - Renault

This is a technical forum and hence its sad to see knee jerk reactions after Fp3. Alonso did a 13.8 on US in FP2 in warmer temperatures and if you take track evolution, higher engine mode and HS tire in to consideration there is still pace in reserve. Canada with three DRS zones will be more about race pace and tire management. Alonso has two sets of SS left which will be a big benefit tomorrow.
Quickshifter

Ground Effect
Ground Effect

GoranF1 wrote:
09 Jun 2018, 18:45
Ground Effect wrote:
09 Jun 2018, 18:20
GoranF1 wrote:
09 Jun 2018, 18:08
Quali will be painfull, Torro Rosso who now have a engine whit maybe a few HP less, will be infront because whit double less budget they menaged to build better car.
Q1 exit on hands.
I hope Alonso leaves to Indycar before the end of this season.
But what did you say yesterday? Bye bye midfield....
Because Mclaren was the one and only stupidest team that showed everything yesterday.
Even Force India and TR were smarter than that.
Sorry i am just frustraded.
C'mon Goran, no need to get frustrated. We know where Mclaren are now, so let's see how qualifying goes, race pace is key here.
Q: (Stefano Mancini – La Stampa) Kimi, will you help Vettel to win his championship this year?
Kimi Raikkonen: I can only drive one car, obviously. 
@2018 Singapore Grand Prix drivers press conference.

Ground Effect
Ground Effect

I think a lot of fans have to accept the reality of the current competitiveness of Mclaren. It seems every race weekend there's this outcry of how terrible they are, embarrassing, the end is nigh etc. What were you saying in 2015-2017? Obviously it's not cool to see them so far behind RBR, but that's their reality. Believe it or not, they're on the up, slowly, but on the up. At the end of the day, we should take it as a wilderness adventure. Let's be positive once in a while.
Q: (Stefano Mancini – La Stampa) Kimi, will you help Vettel to win his championship this year?

GoranF1
GoranF1

You are all right...i just got my hopes to high after fp1&2 thats all.
My own fault.
"I have no idols. I admire work, dedication & competence."

Alonso Fan

Ground Effect wrote:
09 Jun 2018, 19:49
I think a lot of fans have to accept the reality of the current competitiveness of Mclaren. It seems every race weekend there's this outcry of how terrible they are, embarrassing, the end is nigh etc. What were you saying in 2015-2017? Obviously it's not cool to see them so far behind RBR, but that's their reality. Believe it or not, they're on the up, slowly, but on the up. At the end of the day, we should take it as a wilderness adventure. Let's be positive once in a while.
I agree

It seems mclaren can't get the pace out of the hyper softs. Theoretically with the pace they showed on the ultras and supers they should be as fast as Renault and force India.

But they're only finding half a second where everyone else is finding more than 1 second
Last edited by Alonso Fan on 09 Jun 2018, 20:21, edited 1 time in total.
SHR Modding
Youtube
Twitter
Discord

Sound Developer for Reiza Studios
Sound Modder for Assetto Corsa

RonDennis
RonDennis

McLaren is just crap, like I've said from Melbourne. They are a joke, empty promises and useless updates. Nothing has changed since their last Mercedes year. Imagine how those shareholders will feel when you're 4 tenths of a Toro Rosso/Honda with Hartley, even Sauber is faster.
Last edited by RonDennis on 09 Jun 2018, 20:23, edited 3 times in total.

BrunoH
BrunoH

Mclaren are ridiculous... on track that favors top speed and low drag, they even bring the winglets on top of side pods even Mercedes took them off! , they are so slow on the straights, very disappointed,
they had to risk and make a low drag setup, and with 3 drs points for the race to overtake is fundamental, they are going to be sitting ducks in the race!

they need to start and put less crap on the car like redbull... make it efficient and simple, besides maybe they even wold carry a bit less weight and less drag.
Last edited by BrunoH on 09 Jun 2018, 20:24, edited 1 time in total.

dp12
dp12

Get them on the US. Do 5 timed laps

Ground Effect
Ground Effect

BrunoH wrote:
09 Jun 2018, 20:22
Mclaren are ridiculous... on track that favors top speed and low drag, they even bring the winglets on top of side pods even Mercedes took them off! , they are so slow on the straights, very disappointed,
they had to risk and make a low drag setup, and with 3 drs points for the race to overtake is fundamental, they are going to be sitting ducks in the race!
I wondered why they kept the sidepod fins, not a good look at all..

McMika98
McMika98

Lolz. Mclaren is slower than Toro Rosso with an old Honda engine, lucky Gasly did not improve from his initial runs. Slowest Renault powered car by a mile, no place to hide Erik.

PhillipM
PhillipM

BrunoH wrote:
09 Jun 2018, 20:22

they need to start and put less crap on the car like redbull... make it efficient and simple, besides maybe they even wold carry a bit less weight and less drag.
You have to be joking, look at the bargeboards, Redbull has more winglets and vanes than Mclaren's entire car right there.

As for removing the sidepod vanes, you may notice that Mercedes has great big flow conditioners above theirs, that also have vanes in - which are still on the car. #-o

RonDennis
RonDennis

I suggest McLaren sign the aero staff of Force India. Zero improvement since Melbourne.

ALO_Power
ALO_Power

Well, I think it's a combination of getting the softest tyres to work and very high drag.

RonDennis
RonDennis

ALO_Power wrote:
09 Jun 2018, 20:37
Well, I think it's a combination of getting the softest tyres to work and very high drag.
It's a combination of a terrible front and back. It's probably one of the worst chassis McLaren has ever produced. Why aren't people getting fired? They went from the "best chassis" to a car that isn't capable of beating a freaking Sauber.
Last edited by RonDennis on 09 Jun 2018, 20:41, edited 2 times in total.

Alonso Fan

McMika98 wrote:
09 Jun 2018, 20:25
Lolz. Mclaren is slower than Toro Rosso with an old Honda engine, lucky Gasly did not improve from his initial runs. Slowest Renault powered car by a mile, no place to hide Erik.
Mclaren is not making the hypers work. They were 7 tenths faster than Toro Rosso on the ultras.

Anyway the pace is there for tomorrow
SHR Modding
Youtube
Twitter
Discord

Sound Developer for Reiza Studios
Sound Modder for Assetto Corsa