2018 McLaren F1 Team - Renault

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
BrunoH

Re: 2018 McLaren F1 Team - Renault

proteus wrote:
09 Jun 2018, 21:07
BrunoH wrote:
09 Jun 2018, 20:59
They complicate things, they have the most useless complicated aero just for the sake of having new stuff... they need to get rid of the vast junk. coming into canada with top sidepods vortices said it all... what a fail.

that Boulier need to go, said it for the past 3 years! i dont understand why the hell he is kept there.
they need to go after some Force india staff they do so good with a lot less... aff just total disaster.
What Boulier has to do with the car aero? Is he the one who lookes at the sketch or a new part and decides if it aesthetically pleases him? He is an organiser and a PR person. Boulier is the guy who is the least to blame about a bad car.

And since u mentioned hiring people from other succesfull teams, Mclaren has taken Boulier from a succesfull Lotus which also operated with much less money than top 3 teams and they were competitive at the time.
!?!? boulier ran the team bankrupt!!!! hahahahah lotus is no more!

hes head responsible for a lot that goes on at Mclaren, a said Boulier as number 1 to be fired but hes not the only one for sure! a lot needs to go!! aa LOT!!!

McMika98

proteus wrote:
BrunoH wrote:
They complicate things, they have the most useless complicated aero just for the sake of having new stuff... they need to get rid of the vast junk. coming into canada with top sidepods vortices said it all... what a fail.

that Boulier need to go, said it for the past 3 years! i dont understand why the hell he is kept there.
they need to go after some Force india staff they do so good with a lot less... aff just total disaster.
What Boulier has to do with the car aero? Is he the one who lookes at the sketch or a new part and decides if it aesthetically pleases him? He is an organiser and a PR person. Boulier is the guy who is the least to blame about a bad car.
Isnt that the problem, a guy who knows jack**** and is absolutely clueless. Same as Jack, what credibility do these guys have.
Worse. It goes deeper, Matt Morris as i have been saying for years must have bewitched someone to get his role, he hasnt got any track record. PeterP a one trick pony in terms of aero, genius but needs to be restricted and pushed by a good designer the likes of Newey to fully deliver. He has a full reign and delivered jack, if only he didnt push for size zero the whole story would be so different.

As Apocalyse said in X-men ending: All is revealed.

RonDennis

McL-H wrote:
09 Jun 2018, 21:13
proteus wrote:
09 Jun 2018, 21:02
RonDennis wrote:
09 Jun 2018, 20:43

Are you stupid? Don't worry? They are slower than Sauber, S-A-U-B-E-R.
S-A-U-B-E-R has a massive cash injection in this season. And i am not looking for excuses. This result today is very very poor indeed. So far in this season Mclaren was in points at every race with atleast one car which is good. The worrying thing is Renault and others are starting to outperform them. Maybe they improve tomorrow an score points again, but something has to be done with qualifying pace.

The fact that the whole pack is clustered together inside 1,5 seconds doesnt help either. I believe the reason for problems are completely in the opposite side. The team is now fully owned and financed by people who are not really knowing much about racing and running a racing team. Having tons of money doesnt mean much if u throw it arround without proper experience. Ron Dennis was a man who lived for racing and he knew how to operate a racing team, i dont know much about Oijeh, but the main leadership is far far from Ron Dennis and other chiefs in the business....

And this quite might be a nail in the coffin. In my opinion Mclaren firstly needs a british (or european) owner who knows his way in the motorsport. As long as the owners will be only the people whose wealth comes from oil magnats, the team wont work.
Spot on. The team is managed by folks who are clueless about running a racing team. Ron Dennis made McLaren a legendary Formule One team. It used to be an example of how teams should pay attention to detail, the best of the best when it came to mechanical grip. Look now.. traction is horrible, drag is horrible, downforce is horrible.. they are just a shadow of the greatness they once were.

This is the end, guys. McLaren is lost, and just like Williams, they will never become a top team again. Thanks, Mr Ojjeh. Thanks Boullier. Thanks for ruining my team.
Did you also thank Mansour Ojjeh when McLaren won titles? Boullier, Pomodrou, Morris were all signed during the Dennis/Honda era. Dennis was the one that decided McLaren needed a flat organization, which clearly doesn't work. Do I need to continue? If you look it at it this way, it's all Ron's fault.

Ground Effect

After all the rants on here today, I'd be bitterly disappointed if there isn't a mass protest, first thing Monday morning at Woking.
Q: (Stefano Mancini – La Stampa) Kimi, will you help Vettel to win his championship this year?
Kimi Raikkonen: I can only drive one car, obviously. 
@2018 Singapore Grand Prix drivers press conference.

proteus

RonDennis wrote:
09 Jun 2018, 21:10
proteus wrote:
09 Jun 2018, 21:02
RonDennis wrote:
09 Jun 2018, 20:43

Are you stupid? Don't worry? They are slower than Sauber, S-A-U-B-E-R.
S-A-U-B-E-R has a massive cash injection in this season. And i am not looking for excuses. This result today is very very poor indeed. So far in this season Mclaren was in points at every race with atleast one car which is good. The worrying thing is Renault and others are starting to outperform them. Maybe they improve tomorrow an score points again, but something has to be done with qualifying pace.

The fact that the whole pack is clustered together inside 1,5 seconds doesnt help either. I believe the reason for problems are completely in the opposite side. The team is now fully owned and financed by people who are not really knowing much about racing and running a racing team. Having tons of money doesnt mean much if u throw it arround without proper experience. Ron Dennis was a man who lived for racing and he knew how to operate a racing team, i dont know much about Oijeh, but the main leadership is far far from Ron Dennis and other chiefs in the business....

And this quite might be a nail in the coffin. In my opinion Mclaren firstly needs a british (or european) owner who knows his way in the motorsport. As long as the owners will be only the people whose wealth comes from oil magnats, the team wont work.
Massive cash injection, where do you get those nonsense from? It's a relatively small deal.

The reason why they got points this season was luck and not pace. The pack also isn't clustered together, look at the pace of Renault, they are a full second faster on a 1.10 track.

Do you actually know that Ron Dennis had put this team together? You have no clue what you're talking about.
So aparently the have painted the half of the car and branded it with Alfa Romeo stickers just for fun and for 50 bucks and a sandwich with cola, by your claims.....
If i would get the money to start my own F1 team, i would revive Arrows

proteus

BrunoH wrote:
09 Jun 2018, 21:15
proteus wrote:
BrunoH wrote:

And since u mentioned hiring people from other succesfull teams, Mclaren has taken Boulier from a succesfull Lotus which also operated with much less money than top 3 teams and they were competitive at the time.
!?!? boulier ran the team bankrupt!!!! hahahahah lotus is no more!

hes head responsible for a lot that goes on at Mclaren, a said Boulier as number 1 to be fired but hes not the only one for sure! a lot needs to go!! aa LOT!!!
Genii was the owner of the team, and we all know how it goes with the financial firms. And please calm down, no need to get a heart attack over a forum topic.

Nonserviam85

Thank God for the Japanese modest and respectful culture, others would have gone wild after today...

mwillems

There are some spectacular meltdowns in here. This was always going to be a sh*t track for Mclaren, yet folks seem surprised? After top of the midfield on Monaco, prior to issues, the car is now appalling. And after three years of barely being able to finish a race and drinking fuel for fun,now it is clear we should have stayed with Honda....

Seriously, what complete and utter over emotional rubbish!!
Give a man a fire, and he will be warm for a night.
Set a man on fire, and he will be warm for the rest of his life.

proteus

McMika98 wrote:
09 Jun 2018, 21:17
proteus wrote:
BrunoH wrote:

Isnt that the problem, a guy who knows jack**** and is absolutely clueless. Same as Jack, what credibility do these guys have.
Worse. It goes deeper, Matt Morris as i have been saying for years must have bewitched someone to get his role, he hasnt got any track record. PeterP a one trick pony in terms of aero, genius but needs to be restricted and pushed by a good designer the likes of Newey to fully deliver. He has a full reign and delivered jack, if only he didnt push for size zero the whole story would be so different.

As Apocalyse said in X-men ending: All is revealed.
I do agree with u. The organisation as a whole has a big problem. From the side of owners and from the side of employees. Everyone is pulling towards themself and literally tearing the car apart. This reshuffle is going on for too long now.

RonDennis

mwillems wrote:
09 Jun 2018, 21:26
There are some spectacular meltdowns in here. This was always going to be a sh*t track for Mclaren, yet folks seem surprised? After top of the midfield on Monaco, prior to issues, the car is now appalling. And after three years of barely being able to finish a race and drinking fuel for fun,now it is clear we should have stayed with Honda....

Well I already said that the car was appalling from day one. Everyone inside McLaren probably felt the same way, but people in here are already satisfied when McLaren end's up in the top 10, lapping two seconds slower than Red Bull. I don't really care about the positions, but I always look at the gap. The chassis is just a turd.

proteus

mwillems wrote:

You are right. The switch was just when it happened last year, and the season in terms of points is solid enough to call it a succes - if it continues in this fashion till the end. I was expecting 11th and 12th today, and this is the reason why i am dissapointed.

RonDennis

So they went from the best chassis to a chassis that isn't capable of beating a Sauber. Great season btw. :lol:

proteus

RonDennis wrote:
09 Jun 2018, 21:29
mwillems wrote:

Well I already said that the car was appalling from day one. Everyone inside McLaren probably felt the same way, but people in here are already satisfied when McLaren end's up in the top 10, lapping two seconds slower than Red Bull. I don't really care about the positions, but I always look at the gap. The chassis is just a turd.
I allways admire u "i told u so" people.

mwillems

proteus wrote:
09 Jun 2018, 21:32
mwillems wrote:

You are right. The switch was just when it happened last year, and the season in terms of points is solid enough to call it a succes - if it continues in this fashion till the end. I was expecting 11th and 12th today, and this is the reason why i am dissapointed.
I think FP1 got people a little excited a little too easily. Everyone is looking hard for that watershed moment when Mclaren shed their skin, come out and fly, and perhaps Fridays showing gave rise to that a bit.

But everyone who has been in this thread knows that the consensus was that this would be a bad race. But even after one bad race, we will still be midfield runners, not Williams, and still pushing for the top of midfield. Not every track is enormous straights.

Personally I still think the issue is the rear suspension. I believe it was commented on in the race how stiff the Mclaren suspension was being run, most likely to compensate for poor rear traction, but unfortunately losing the ability to properly use the kerbs.

mwillems

RonDennis wrote:
09 Jun 2018, 21:29
mwillems wrote:

The car can compete at the front end of midfield, regularly. The car is not rubbish, it just isn't great.