2018 Scuderia Ferrari F1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
Fede90
Fede90
1
Joined: Sun Jul 07, 2013 8:49 am
Location: Italy

Re: 2018 Scuderia Ferrari F1 Team

Post

I don't understand how FIA considered Allison's and Sassi's informtions valid when they have no one proof how SF71H works. Indeed if something is non-compliant, FIA should be able to find, by himself, the anomaly without others teams' speculations. Otherwise i can say to FIA that all other teams are working to bypass the rules in multiplyes sectors like engine, MGU-H, etc.

LM10
LM10
76
Joined: Tue Mar 06, 2018 11:07 pm

Re: 2018 Scuderia Ferrari F1 Team

Post

iulian_florea wrote:
Fri Jun 01, 2018 8:09 am
Any news on who will replace Resta at Ferrari?
https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/ferr ... 42976/?s=1

Sevach
Sevach
843
Joined: Thu Jun 07, 2012 4:00 pm

Re: Scuderia Ferrari SF71H

Post

edxferrari wrote:
Sat Jun 02, 2018 3:09 am
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k5axHjNcgo0

interesting vid

but who is this ferrari engineer they are talking about, james allison or anybody else has left ferrari lately for merc ?
Lorenzo Sassi also went to Mercedes, he used to be the lead guy in the engine department at Maranello.

User avatar
RZS10
127
Joined: Sat Dec 07, 2013 12:23 am

Re: Scuderia Ferrari SF71H

Post

All those short copy/paste articles mention that AMuS reported it, but there's nothing on the AMuS site? weird.

User avatar
SiLo
81
Joined: Sun Jul 25, 2010 6:09 pm

Re: Scuderia Ferrari SF71H

Post

I think a lot of Ferrari people have left over the last year and gone to other teams so this is probably where it's all coming from. Not too many have gone the other way.
Felipe Baby!

User avatar
PlatinumZealot
385
Joined: Thu Jun 12, 2008 2:45 am

Re: Scuderia Ferrari SF71H

Post

djones wrote:
Fri Jun 01, 2018 9:29 am
I guess they have started taking more risks this season, in a hope to finally beat Mercedes.

Understandable really. They are here to sell their exotic road cars and it doesn't look good when year in year out your race team is beat by a company that mainly produce small capacity diesel saloon cars.

I thought the Tifosi said they sell road cars to go racing?
===================✯✯
============✯✯
====✯✯[/b]
LH44

wuzak
wuzak
356
Joined: Tue Aug 30, 2011 2:26 am

Re: Scuderia Ferrari SF71H

Post

PlatinumZealot wrote:
Thu Jun 07, 2018 2:45 am
djones wrote:
Fri Jun 01, 2018 9:29 am
I guess they have started taking more risks this season, in a hope to finally beat Mercedes.

Understandable really. They are here to sell their exotic road cars and it doesn't look good when year in year out your race team is beat by a company that mainly produce small capacity diesel saloon cars.

I thought the Tifosi said they sell road cars to go racing?
That was originally the case, yes.

User avatar
Chuckjr
40
Joined: Fri Feb 24, 2012 7:34 am

Re: 2018 Scuderia Ferrari F1 Team

Post

The more I see Leclerc, the more he's convincing me he should replace Kimi next year. Seb would be a good mentor for that kid, and i think his raw talent will go far and will challenge Seb from time to time the first two years as he settles in. I just don't see the logic in keeping Kimi another year. Just my 2 cents.

User avatar
ME4ME
164
Joined: Fri Dec 19, 2014 3:37 pm

Re: 2018 Scuderia Ferrari F1 Team

Post

I wouldn't put Leclerc in that Ferrari seat next year. No matter his talent, he needs to mature as a driver and gain confidence. We've seen it with Perez, Magnussen, Kvyat etc .. too soon can be killer for a drivers career. At Ferrari the pressure to perform is the highest.

I think it's wiser to put Ricciardo in that seat if possible, and let Leclerc do another two years at Sauber. Sauber as a team could use a talented driver like him to lead the way. There is no real reason to rush.

User avatar
Big Tea
75
Joined: Sun Dec 24, 2017 7:57 pm

Re: 2018 Scuderia Ferrari F1 Team

Post

ME4ME wrote:
Mon Jun 11, 2018 4:05 pm
I wouldn't put Leclerc in that Ferrari seat next year. No matter his talent, he needs to mature as a driver and gain confidence. We've seen it with Perez, Magnussen, Kvyat etc .. too soon can be killer for a drivers career. At Ferrari the pressure to perform is the highest.

I think it's wiser to put Ricciardo in that seat if possible, and let Leclerc do another two years at Sauber. Sauber as a team could use a talented driver like him to lead the way. There is no real reason to rush.

Always seems a better option to let younger drivers have a team mate they can fight. Going to a team with an established leader who they are either expected or instructed to be subservient to takes the game out of them.

I think the making of Hamilton as a top driver was his scrapping with Alonso. He had the talent, but that gave him the politics. Same for Le Clerk, especially in a team as political as Ferrari and a driver as entrenched as Vettel.
One test is worth a thousand expert opinions

f1316
f1316
128
Joined: Wed Feb 22, 2012 5:36 pm

Re: 2018 Scuderia Ferrari F1 Team

Post

Big Tea wrote:
Mon Jun 11, 2018 4:22 pm
ME4ME wrote:
Mon Jun 11, 2018 4:05 pm
I wouldn't put Leclerc in that Ferrari seat next year. No matter his talent, he needs to mature as a driver and gain confidence. We've seen it with Perez, Magnussen, Kvyat etc .. too soon can be killer for a drivers career. At Ferrari the pressure to perform is the highest.

I think it's wiser to put Ricciardo in that seat if possible, and let Leclerc do another two years at Sauber. Sauber as a team could use a talented driver like him to lead the way. There is no real reason to rush.

Always seems a better option to let younger drivers have a team mate they can fight. Going to a team with an established leader who they are either expected or instructed to be subservient to takes the game out of them.

I think the making of Hamilton as a top driver was his scrapping with Alonso. He had the talent, but that gave him the politics. Same for Le Clerk, especially in a team as political as Ferrari and a driver as entrenched as Vettel.
I’m confused by this - you’re saying it would be bad for Leclerc to be in Ferrari because there’s an established no.1/politics but also it was the same for Hamilton and that was the making of him? Maybe I’m just not following.

I don’t think Ricciardo would be a good fit politically; I think they’d start taking points off each other, scrapping for position and there’d be lots of in-fighting. Not to say that Ferrari should get someone inherently slower than Vettel but it isn’t usually a recipe for harmony to have two alpha personalities.

Leclerc for me is a better option; it might be too soon to be optimal but I’d hope he could take a Massa role to Vettel’s MSC. I still think Hulkenberg deserves a top drive and would probably be a good fit (chance of issues but I think he’s a calmer and more controlled character than Ricciardo and would mesh well with Seb) but is he locked in at Renault?

I suppose another option would be to pick up Bottas if DR goes to Mercedes - so a bit of musical chairs - but whilst that would probably be a very good fit, I personally wouldn’t enjoy it as I just find Bottas a completely uninteresting character.

User avatar
Big Tea
75
Joined: Sun Dec 24, 2017 7:57 pm

Re: 2018 Scuderia Ferrari F1 Team

Post

f1316 wrote:
Mon Jun 11, 2018 6:19 pm
Big Tea wrote:
Mon Jun 11, 2018 4:22 pm
ME4ME wrote:
Mon Jun 11, 2018 4:05 pm
I wouldn't put Leclerc in that Ferrari seat next year. No matter his talent, he needs to mature as a driver and gain confidence. We've seen it with Perez, Magnussen, Kvyat etc .. too soon can be killer for a drivers career. At Ferrari the pressure to perform is the highest.

I think it's wiser to put Ricciardo in that seat if possible, and let Leclerc do another two years at Sauber. Sauber as a team could use a talented driver like him to lead the way. There is no real reason to rush.

Always seems a better option to let younger drivers have a team mate they can fight. Going to a team with an established leader who they are either expected or instructed to be subservient to takes the game out of them.

I think the making of Hamilton as a top driver was his scrapping with Alonso. He had the talent, but that gave him the politics. Same for Le Clerk, especially in a team as political as Ferrari and a driver as entrenched as Vettel.
I’m confused by this - you’re saying it would be bad for Leclerc to be in Ferrari because there’s an established no.1/politics but also it was the same for Hamilton and that was the making of him? Maybe I’m just not following.

I don’t think Ricciardo would be a good fit politically; I think they’d start taking points off each other, scrapping for position and there’d be lots of in-fighting. Not to say that Ferrari should get someone inherently slower than Vettel but it isn’t usually a recipe for harmony to have two alpha personalities.

Leclerc for me is a better option; it might be too soon to be optimal but I’d hope he could take a Massa role to Vettel’s MSC. I still think Hulkenberg deserves a top drive and would probably be a good fit (chance of issues but I think he’s a calmer and more controlled character than Ricciardo and would mesh well with Seb) but is he locked in at Renault?

I suppose another option would be to pick up Bottas if DR goes to Mercedes - so a bit of musical chairs - but whilst that would probably be a very good fit, I personally wouldn’t enjoy it as I just find Bottas a completely uninteresting character.
Do you think LeClerc would be allowed to fight with Seb during s race? Ferrari do not work that way.
A new young driver would be expected to be a new young driver and back up the boss or get out of his way.

As with Hamilton in Mclaren, in Alonso's mind. Hamilton actually took up the cudgels with Alonso and it made him a better driver (dont get into who was on whos side, it is not relevant and the two opinions will never change)

I think there is some of this realization at Red Bull too. A gung-ho attitude needs to be rained in from inside not locked up from outside. Max will see the light, I just hope it is in time. Had he been told he was to follow Dan around and step aside when needed he would not put the same into his race.
One test is worth a thousand expert opinions

User avatar
Big Mangalhit
63
Joined: Thu Dec 03, 2015 2:39 pm

Re: 2018 Scuderia Ferrari F1 Team

Post

f1316 wrote:
Mon Jun 11, 2018 6:19 pm



I don’t think Ricciardo would be a good fit politically; I think they’d start taking points off each other, scrapping for position and there’d be lots of in-fighting. Not to say that Ferrari should get someone inherently slower than Vettel but it isn’t usually a recipe for harmony to have two alpha personalities.


I have to disagree with you on this. I think Ric would be a great fit cause he I think he seems like a great team player. I think he brings great harmony and follows his instructions very often (even after the team screwing him a few times), even with Max on the team which is not always easy (like when he refused to give him his place back after RIC opened him the door previously).

Also even if he would steal some precious points off Vet which I feel he would do quite often, he would also help him secure some by staying up close in second in some races and thus protecting him of being attacked and more important by stealing points by being ahead of everybody else on other teams.
Just imagine last race RIC was in that car, he would probably be ahead of ham and steal him a couple more points. Heck he started behind Kimi with a slower car and still was able to pass ham unlike kimi, so imagine how often he could steal points to merc.

Also important is that if you have 2 drivers fighting for WDC and one is really unlucky because of a crash or a burnt PU you still have another horse on the race.

And best of all, right now even with the apparently faster car they are second on WCC and very tight for WDC. With RIC there you could argue that it would be worse for WDC (which I disagree for the reasons above) it would be no doubt much better for the WCC.

ace456
ace456
1
Joined: Mon Nov 13, 2017 10:37 am

Re: 2018 Scuderia Ferrari F1 Team

Post

As much as I love Kimi. His time at a top team is done. Its been over 100 grand prix's since he's won a race. Even if we consider the alleged no 2 driver status at ferrari, barrichello/massa won races at ferrari and kimi hasnt since he returned to Ferrari.

Now it might seem that the only reason ferrari are hanging on with Kimi is because of team harmony and balance which definitely contributes to overall competitiveness of team. But he is also bloody quick and a good marketable driver with a lot of fans. Its just he isnt a 'complete racing driver' at the moment. And hella expensive at $40 million i think. And seb is at $ 60 million. Thats $100 million only on drivers! Red bull spends almost 10 times less. Mercedes is also nowhere close to this.

So in conclusion best driver for ferrari at the moment with qualities of Speed, marketability, team player, Experience and salary is Ricciardo. And there is leclerc who has the speed and is a team player and can pay him less. But he doesnt have the experience and marketability. Unless ferrari does a red bull and markets him like brand verstappen.

Hulk is quick and smart, blocked at renault for the future. He is a team leader at renault whereas at ferrari he wont be a team leader. Plus 2 germans in one team isnt good for global marketing!

So the Italian Australian for ferrari or they take a punt with Charles.

User avatar
Big Mangalhit
63
Joined: Thu Dec 03, 2015 2:39 pm

Re: 2018 Scuderia Ferrari F1 Team

Post

¥eah agreed. But ofc a lot of kimi presence in Ferrari is marketability. Kimi is the driver with most fans and he has a really loyal fanbase (just look at comment sections on Ferrari FB after he has any car problem). That together with team atmosphere is probably why he is retained even tho he hasn't won a single race since he got back. Maybe also he is good with setup/simulator and other hidden car work we don't know.

Still I think RIC can offer so much more in everything else while also being very well liked and with great market value and especially a lot of potencial.