2018 McLaren F1 Team - Renault

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
Thunder

Re: 2018 McLaren F1 Team - Renault

Rumours are there is a new Gearbox Housing being Crash Tested. So that could inherit a redesigned Rear Suspension.
turbof1 wrote: YOU SHALL NOT......STALLLLL!!!
#aerogollum

Ground Effect

Thunder wrote:
15 Jun 2018, 08:07
Rumours are there is a new Gearbox Housing being Crash Tested. So that could inherit a redesigned Rear Suspension.
Nice info, would appreciate a clean up of this thread, as it's descended back into Mclaren v Honda blame game and comparisons, it's pretty tiresome.
Q: (Stefano Mancini – La Stampa) Kimi, will you help Vettel to win his championship this year?
Kimi Raikkonen: I can only drive one car, obviously. 
@2018 Singapore Grand Prix drivers press conference.

makecry

techman wrote:
15 Jun 2018, 07:58
i mean there can be excuses but look mclaren are boasting how good their technical and aero department is . so it should not be a problem to figure it out. personally i did not believe most of their words unlike some here.
I don't get it, how exactly are you contributing to this thread? Apart from the --- talking which is downright comical sometimes. This thread badly needs a clean up.

johnny vee

Thunder wrote:
this is very exciting news... thanx Thunder
"Because you didn't come here to make the choice, you've already made it. You're here to try to understand why you made it. I thought you'd have figured that out by now." The Oracle, Matrix Reloaded

M840TR

Thunder wrote:
How authentic are these rumours? Last I remember they originated on this thread by some next level ‘speculators’.
I hope its true but we should probably restrain our expectations.

Andres125sx

It is curious how some cherry picked quotes can make some people think setting the car up for fastest laptime is a mistake and only done to embarrass your own PU supplier :wtf: :lol: :lol: :lol:

RBR, at Vettel era, were consistently at the bottom of the speed trap figures. HRT were constantly on top of the speed trap figures. That´s what the speed trap figures means, nothing.

OTOH McLaren was embarrasingly slow on they laptimes, but people still think they should have go for a even slower setup so their top speeds figures were mascaraed??? #-o

Past season McLaren was poor, but Honda was even worse. In june 2018 I think it´s time to accept in and move on, PLEASE!!!

mclaren111

makecry wrote:
15 Jun 2018, 01:54
NL_Fer wrote:
15 Jun 2018, 01:46
I was thinking about this also, without a split chasis weaknesses would never be found. Just, did Fernando promote it for this reason, to force them focus on the chassis?
We don't know if last year's car had the weakness that this year's car does. MCL32 was very very good on corner entry and braking and in low speed corners (see Mexico last year), this year's car is losing most of it's time under braking and corner entry and low speed corner.

Correct. Last year stability under braking was brilliant.

With the problematic rear suspension of this year it has to be major negative factor.

PlatinumZealot

makecry wrote:
15 Jun 2018, 06:58
diffuser wrote:
15 Jun 2018, 06:50
Telemetry 2017 Spain, Alo, Ver, Vet
https://image.ibb.co/cAG1LJ/2017_spain.png
The last sector, Vettel has to take the corners at lower speed than Alonso, engine power doesn't matter too much there but yeah some people will still try and convince us otherwise about MCL32. The people who come in here and talk about McLaren running too much downforce to make Honda look bad are like people from /r/t_d who still can't let go of Hillary a year and half after the election.
Look at the valleys. The braking points. Alonso's end of braking speed is the slowest even though he decelerates from a slower speed too. Clear as day that they have no low speed downforce here. I beleive the claims by Goldie and the otheres.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

PlatinumZealot

muramasa wrote:
14 Jun 2018, 21:32

> Brazil 2017 (November 2017)

FP2 speed trap [PU in FP mode] : 336kmph
Quali speed trap [PU in Quali mode]: 311kmph
Race: FA 8th, stuck behind Massa til checkered flag

Yusuke Hasegawa

"The car carries too much downforce. For sure you can gain overall laptime that way, but in the race condition you cannot overtake, also you are risking your defense. Mexico was good example, we were within DRS range of a car in front, hence we did not get passed easily, even by Hamilton. Also we were able to close the gap rapidly towards Kevin Magnussen. But with such heavy df setting, you cannot overtake on the straight even if being within DRS range. Not possible to overtake even if you are faster by 1sec/lap, I suppose."

"In the progress from spec 3.5 to 3.8, the PU contributed to the laptime gain of about 0.4sec/lap on average. The relative improvement in straight end speed is exactly where the time gain comes from, I reckon."

"Of course we discussed, many times. We proposed going lighter on downforce over and over. Sure it is McLaren who determine the setting, but even then we kept making the proposal. But we were not listened/accepted. The team prioritizes the one that should yield faster comprehensive lap time, also the amount of downforce affects the car stability. Let's say, even at/in such places/condition where the drivers of Vettel and Hamilton caliber are spinning, we never spin. Not that I'm criticizing the team, it's just that that's what the team's direction is, but it's the philosophy of "lead and finish" so to speak, so there is no problem that way as long as you can get pole position.."

An ANONYMOUS Honda engineer quoted

"I do not consider that's the best compromise point to be the fastest possible. This time, even Mercedes and Ferrari are spinning and going off track, right? On the other hand McLaren is solid and never goes off track. Then at one point on Friday we took off some df and Stoffel spun on T2, then it went like "see, it's undriveable this way as expected". Even top teams are pushing aggressively and shedding downforce to the limit like that, but McLaren is putting good downforce to make the car friendly for drivers."

"McLaren is a team that has such engineering policy traditionally. Fulfill and respond to drivers' demands/complaints no matter what, that's how their policy is like. As a result of that, you end up with "car that's cozy to drive", instead of "car that's tricky but fast". It's a team that cannot tell to drivers "this setting is faster and that's the best we can give, so the rest you do your best on track". "

f1fokuho brazil '17 (print)
https://sportiva.shueisha.co.jp/clm/mot ... /index.php
(translation by me)

> January/February 2018

Tim Goss

"So much of producing a great F1 car these days is giving the driver a car that they can exploit,"
"There is no point in giving them a car with very peaky performance."
"What we are trying to do is give the driver something that operates very well over a broad operating envelope."

"So our approach these days is very much about giving the driver something they can trust and work with, and peaky load is in our view not the way to produce a quick aerodynamic package for the driver, or vehicle dynamics change."

"Even trimming a bit of downforce off the car and trimming to a lower wing level, we were still not going to get our car to the point where we have that raceability in a straight line,"
"So our approach has been to always go for the quickest laptime and our tactics coming to a race weekend were to qualify as well as we can, and then aim to defend that position based on laptime. In some races that was extremely difficult.

"Rather than put sticking plasters to try to cope with the fact that we had an underpowered engine, what we really wanted to do is develop the best car and assume the engine is going to come."

https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/mcla ... r-1001974/

They a sorely missing Lewis Hamilton here. He doesn't care about instability. Alonso used to be like that but that's was with front limited cars of the mid 2000s where he could slide the front and maximise grip from the back.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

diffuser

Telemetry Can 2017 same 3 players ...

diffuser

Telemetry Austria 2017 Ric instead of ver

BrunoH

looks like alonso is not loosing on acceleration but on mid to top speed constantly

makecry

BrunoH wrote:
15 Jun 2018, 22:09
looks like alonso is not loosing on acceleration but on mid to top speed constantly
In last 1/3rd of 2017, there was an article on AMuS in which they said Honda is able to keep up with the competition initially but once the MGU-H comes into play they lose out. It’s very apparent here.

BrunoH

anyone have telemetry data like this from 2018?

diffuser

BrunoH wrote:
15 Jun 2018, 22:27
anyone have telemetry data like this from 2018?
I haven't tried to extract it yet. This was easy as it was already extracted...I just need to plot it.