2018 McLaren F1 Team - Renault

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
ispano6

Re: 2018 McLaren F1 Team - Renault

mclaren111 wrote:
16 Jun 2018, 09:42
Planet F1:
McLaren are reportedly facing a ‘revolt from disgruntled staff’ who want former team boss Martin Whitmarsh back at the helm as the team’s on-track woes continue.
Whitmarsh:
“It needs a big change of approach. There is too much politics between the main figures. I think a number of them have to go. I have explained my view to Mansour and it is for the shareholders to decide what to do.
Full article:
http://www.f1reader.com/list/news/lates ... ion-199750

Fingers crossed !! [-o< [-o<
As my brother put it best, inmates running the asylum. Some people on the team seem like macho little man with big ego, like a little dog. I recall one interview of Matt Morris that left me thinking he was toxic. His attitude reminded me of a thug. Maybe I'm wrong because I didn't bother to watch Amazons documentary, but he seems to be one who needs to be let go.

McMika98

Its over really for Mclaren. The people who have been through the glory years have a toxic mentality of entitlement by virtue of being Mclaren. The documentary showed it, and its rubbing off on the new comers, who instead of pushing themselves to learn and excel, exhibit this attitude. Ron needs to get back, undress these tools and rinse them with ice cold tirade

mclaren111

My first choice is also for Ron to come back, but I fear the relationship with the other shareholders is beyond repair.

Sadly Ron has moved on.

We are in a S.... Situation at the moment. No idea how long it will take to come out of this !! :( :(

Jolle

mclaren111 wrote:
17 Jun 2018, 12:39
My first choice is also for Ron to come back, but I fear the relationship with the other shareholders is beyond repair.

Sadly Ron has moved on.

We are in a S.... Situation at the moment. No idea how long it will take to come out of this !! :( :(
Ron is the reason that they are in this mess. In 2007/8 he overplayed his hand with Mercedes. First Spygate, then 12C/SLS argument and the following ambition to become a car manufacturer. Their last WDC was under Daimler management, not Ron's. The downfall of McLaren started when Dennis took over and then dug a hole for himself by not keeping his promesses to his fellow shareholders (He promised them that the shares they bought back from Daimler would be sold without loss within a few years). Expect sponsors he was also unable to find new investors.

diffuser

That is pretty funny. Ron is not even 2 years remove from McLaren . His structure is still in place, with the exceptìon of Goss and Capito.

Besides Ron had a falling out with the big money people at McLaren(personal stuff). That hasn't been resolved.

It always make me laugh when people just throw out names as saviours. Too often, it just doesn't work out.
Last edited by diffuser on 17 Jun 2018, 15:55, edited 2 times in total.

Redragon

Ron Dennis has the same problem as Ecclestone they got their manners and way of work that didn't evolve with the technology and new approach of this cars.

Big Tea

Ron will not come back.
Too many burned bridges and ruined relationships and daggers in backs.
Even if he did, his networks are gone or moved on and F1 is a new world.
Ron was THE man for Mclaren F1 at the time, now times have changed.

For get Ron Dennis at Mclaren, I t will not and should not happen.

I am not sure about a return for Whitmarch either. They need a new and ruthless head in the style of Styner.
If I had to pick a parachuted head to drop in , Haug.
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

RonDennis

How about giving Zak Brown some actual time. Whitmarsh and Dennis are the people that put McLaren in the current state. In my opinion they should have kept Jost Capito.

PlatinumZealot

Zak doesnt seem like die hard F1 man to me. You don't talk about indy 500 and LeMans when your team is in the state it's in. Drain the swamp.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

adrianjordan

PlatinumZealot wrote:
17 Jun 2018, 20:18
Zak doesnt seem like die hard F1 man to me. You don't talk about indy 500 and LeMans when your team is in the state it's in. Drain the swamp.
Unless it's part of plan to sell sponsorship across all 3 sports....success in Indy can bought as I understand it. Success at Le Mans would be harder, but not as hard as F1...especially if they developed a Hybrid LMP1 car. Get some prestige sponsors in on the back of those and help fund tge F1 team using them as well.
Favourite driver: Lando Norris
Favourite team: McLaren

Turned down the chance to meet Vettel at Silverstone in 2007. He was a test driver at the time and I didn't think it was worth queuing!! 🤦🏻‍♂️

604gtir

PlatinumZealot wrote:
17 Jun 2018, 20:18
for me indy makes complete sense
20m to run a top flight team, wouldnt cost much more to put together staff to run it. you wouldnt need to staff it from your current f1 staff.

18 races to market mclaren, plus tv coverage, plus the indy 500, all in north america and some small amount of global audience.

f1 hits the usa 1x a year for 3 days.

bauc

Mclaren can't do a lot before 2021, they can improve for sure, they can be close to the top 3 but its very hard to win championship before the new rules. What Mclaren needs now and what Zak is doing is repairing the Mclaren image, more brand exposure and attracting new sponsors to bring back the smiles in the team. Once all pieces are in place, only then we can expect Mclaren to win.
Формула 1 на Македонски - The first ever Macedonian Formula 1 YouTube channel
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCJkjCv ... 6rVRgKASwg

makecry

bauc wrote:
18 Jun 2018, 08:56
Mclaren can't do a lot before 2021, they can improve for sure, they can be close to the top 3 but its very hard to win championship before the new rules. What Mclaren needs now and what Zak is doing is repairing the Mclaren image, more brand exposure and attracting new sponsors to bring back the smiles in the team. Once all pieces are in place, only then we can expect Mclaren to win.
TBH, the fastest way to repair the McLaren image is to be competitive. No, I am not saying win races or win championship, just be better than they are now. If McLaren were clear 4th fastest by now, this season would have been a success but the truth is they are not going to end up p4 this year in WCC. Stoffel is just underperforming and Fernando despite the god like abilities he has can't do much if the car doesn't help him.

bauc

makecry wrote:
18 Jun 2018, 09:25
bauc wrote:
18 Jun 2018, 08:56
TBH, the fastest way to repair the McLaren image is to be competitive. No, I am not saying win races or win championship, just be better than they are now. If McLaren were clear 4th fastest by now, this season would have been a success but the truth is they are not going to end up p4 this year in WCC. Stoffel is just underperforming and Fernando despite the god like abilities he has can't do much if the car doesn't help him.
Lets not jump the gun okey, there are still 14 races to go and Mclaren is only 10 points behind Renault.
Формула 1 на Македонски - The first ever Macedonian Formula 1 YouTube channel
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCJkjCv ... 6rVRgKASwg

techman

Lets not jump the gun okey, there are still 14 races to go and Mclaren is only 10 points behind Renault.
do you expect to mclaren to overtake renault with points at the end of season?