Fuel consumption per lap

All that has to do with the power train, gearbox, clutch, fuels and lubricants, etc. Generally the mechanical side of Formula One.
lawnmower

Fuel consumption per lap

I think it's only about total time- the position of the gas pedal and the total full-throttle duration. The engines will have equal fuel consumption (100kg/h) and powerful engines will consume less fuel because the will be faster on the flat.

godlameroso

Re: Fuel consumption per lap

It's more than that. Fuel efficiency is a matter of compromise, the more efficient your combustion process the less compromises you need to make, or rather gives you more strategies to save fuel. The efficiency of the ERS and how integrated it is with the ICE and it's ancillaries makes a big difference as well.
Saishū kōnā

gruntguru

lawnmower wrote:
18 Jun 2018, 02:06
I think it's only about total time- the position of the gas pedal and the total full-throttle duration. The engines will have equal fuel consumption (100kg/h) and powerful engines will consume less fuel because the will be faster on the flat.
I agree. There are other factors in addition to throttle position:
- Engine speed. If the speed is lower than 10,500 the maximum fuel flow is reduced.
- PU mode selection. Fuel used per throttle setting will vary from mode to mode eg some "economy" modes may reduce the 100 kg/hr to say 95.
je suis charlie

Big Tea

Discounting re-gen from braking, it must be a difficult job deciding when to burn fuel to create electricity to save fuel etc.

Balancing not getting 100% 'worth' out of using it to charge v being able to get extra power when the flow does not allow anymore etc, must be a very specalised niche (or software).
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

roon

I suppose that would be one advantage of dropping the MGU-H. Developers can focus on combustion alone.

godlameroso

You can't escape combustion it's the prime mover of the MGU-H and everything else on the car. The ERS is much more efficient than the combustion process so it's worth it to recover electrical energy because it's ~95% efficient whereas combustion on it's own is still in the low 40's. Although if you think about it the MGU-H is maybe recovering 20% of the exhaust heat energy, another 20-25% goes to the compressor and the rest is wasted.
Saishū kōnā

michl420

I have a question that fit in this topic. During a safety car the teams want to burn as much fuel as possible. Can they burn as much as in a normal lap, or is the car still "too havy" after a safety car?

Skippon

Its fuel flow limited formulas so they can't just burn what they want....

Jolle

michl420 wrote:
12 Jul 2020, 07:37
I have a question that fit in this topic. During a safety car the teams want to burn as much fuel as possible. Can they burn as much as in a normal lap, or is the car still "too havy" after a safety car?
They probably will use that saved fuel for extra power laps after the safety car. These engines race in a fuel saving mode constantly. The extra fuel can be used to charge the K unit when off throttle or drive a few straights with the blow off valve open, etc etc. There is so much more possible then with the V8’s, the PU is a strategy almost on its own