2018 McLaren F1 Team - Renault

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
kasio

Re: 2018 McLaren F1 Team - Renault

diffuser wrote:
19 Jun 2018, 23:31
RonDennis wrote:
19 Jun 2018, 21:51
Alonso Fan wrote:
19 Jun 2018, 21:24

Since the switch to Renault.

They've been consistently in the top 10 in the races and have been fourth or fifth fastest on race pace. Nothing to brag about for sure but hardly 'fighting for p15'
Melbourne 11th / 12th
Bahrain 13th / 14th
China 13th / 14th
Baku 13th / 16th
Canada 14th / 15th

It's a disgrace and this must be one of the worst cars they have ever created.
The Irony is, it's the best is 4 years.
I gues sits just a feeling. To me it looks 2016 is better. still at least Its hard to point this season is much better:
  • Yr 2016 2017 2018
  • Aus 12/13 13/18 11/12
  • Bah 12/14 15/17 13/14
  • Chn 12/13 13/16 13/14
  • Rus/Aze 14/12 15/17 13/16
  • Esp 10/12 7/19 8/11
  • Mon 10/13 9/10 7/12
  • Can 11/22 12/16 14/15

Chicane

7 races are done, which is precisely only a third of the season.

Mclaren are currently in 5th place in the constructors championship.

Neither of the two of the drivers have had grid penalties.

They have already introduced a major nose update.

The rest of the package will come in increments possibly the bigger one in Silverstone [home race].

If not for gearbox failure[painful as it only needed to do 20 more laps before change] in Monaco and a broken charge cooler pipe in Canada, Mclaren would be ahead of works Renault in the constructors.

Eric Boullier has clearly stated that because of their lack of performance in slow speed corners they are having to run a compromised setup. Stoffel and EB have said work is on to solve this issue on a big scale back in the factory. They have not given up on the 2018 car.

If you see the amount of hysteria you must think Mclaren has been obliterated off the F1 map. IMHO They will finish clearly the 4th fastest team come the end of the season in terms of pace come the end of the season.

The problem is that people do not understand how with a new power unit Mclaren have had to completely redesign the rear end plus there will be things like weight distribution and consequent ballast placement which has a significant role in performance. I could understand if it was the final third of the season but clearly there is enough time left in the season for Mclaren to salvage this season. If Mclaren are as competitive as they are now in the final third of the season i can understand but after a power unit change and barely after a third of the season the amount of negative propaganda is clearly way out of proportion.
Quickshifter

mclaren111

Well put Chicane =D> =D>

RonDennis

Chicane wrote:
20 Jun 2018, 11:15

The rest of the package will come in increments possibly the bigger one in Silverstone [home race].

If not for gearbox failure[painful as it only needed to do 20 more laps before change] in Monaco and a broken charge cooler pipe in Canada, Mclaren would be ahead of works Renault in the constructors.

Eric Boullier has clearly stated that because of their lack of performance in slow speed corners they are having to run a compromised setup. Stoffel and EB have said work is on to solve this issue on a big scale back in the factory. They have not given up on the 2018 car.

If you see the amount of hysteria you must think Mclaren has been obliterated off the F1 map. IMHO They will finish clearly the 4th fastest team come the end of the season in terms of pace come the end of the season.

The problem is that people do not understand how with a new power unit Mclaren have had to completely redesign the rear end plus there will be things like weight distribution and consequent ballast placement which has a significant role in performance. I could understand if it was the final third of the season but clearly there is enough time left in the season for Mclaren to salvage this season. If Mclaren are as competitive as they are now in the final third of the season i can understand but after a power unit change and barely after a third of the season the amount of negative propaganda is clearly way out of proportion.
7 races are done, no points in the last two races, two seconds of the pace, already beaten by Toro Rosso, Force India, Renault, Sauber and Haas, no problems have been fixed, talk about easily clearing the midfield didn't happen, 14th and 15th in Canada (quali), do I need to continue? Is this what you expected from the team that had 'one of the best chassis' last year and said goodbye to 100 million dollars. Don't make me laugh, stop defending this team that clearly isn't performing. Nobody expected them to beat Red Bull, but their pace hasn't been good at all. If you expect them to be easily fourth at the end of the season you're just as delusional as Boullier, Brown and Alonso.

dren

They capitalized on good points up for grabs early in the season. I see FI coming on strong for the remainder of the year. Renault is steadily improving, too. I see Mclaren getting 6th, just slightly ahead of an improved Honda TR by the end of the season. Haas is going to go backwards, kicking themselves on all of the points they've squandered.
Honda!

adrianjordan

dren wrote:
20 Jun 2018, 12:48
They capitalized on good points up for grabs early in the season. I see FI coming on strong for the remainder of the year. Renault is steadily improving, too. I see Mclaren getting 6th, just slightly ahead of an improved Honda TR by the end of the season. Haas is going to go backwards, kicking themselves on all of the points they've squandered.
I don't see FI improving much. They're in trouble financially and that can't but distract the team members whichever way you look at it.

Renault will be an interesting one, but I see McLaren coming out on top in that one by the end of the season.
Favourite driver: Lando Norris
Favourite team: McLaren

Turned down the chance to meet Vettel at Silverstone in 2007. He was a test driver at the time and I didn't think it was worth queuing!! 🤦🏻‍♂️

dren

With the resources at Renault's disposal now as a works team, I don't see them doing anything but steadily improving. It'll be interesting to see how Mclaren fairs against them for the rest of the season.
Honda!

mwillems

But Mclaren are not far off race pace whilst carrying a very difficult issue. If that were solved, and if Mclaren continue development, it isn't hard to see them push past Renault by the end of the season.
Give a man a fire, and he will be warm for a night.
Set a man on fire, and he will be warm for the rest of his life.

diffuser

kasio wrote:
20 Jun 2018, 10:33
diffuser wrote:
19 Jun 2018, 23:31
RonDennis wrote:
19 Jun 2018, 21:51

Melbourne 11th / 12th
Bahrain 13th / 14th
China 13th / 14th
Baku 13th / 16th
Canada 14th / 15th

It's a disgrace and this must be one of the worst cars they have ever created.
The Irony is, it's the best is 4 years.
I gues sits just a feeling. To me it looks 2016 is better. still at least Its hard to point this season is much better:
  • Yr 2016 2017 2018
  • Aus 12/13 13/18 11/12
  • Bah 12/14 15/17 13/14
  • Chn 12/13 13/16 13/14
  • Rus/Aze 14/12 15/17 13/16
  • Esp 10/12 7/19 8/11
  • Mon 10/13 9/10 7/12
  • Can 11/22 12/16 14/15
They have 40 point vs 26 at the same point in 2016. That's what I was looking at.

diffuser

RonDennis wrote:
20 Jun 2018, 12:23
Chicane wrote:

7 races are done, no points in the last two races, two seconds of the pace, already beaten by Toro Rosso, Force India, Renault, Sauber and Haas, no problems have been fixed, talk about easily clearing the midfield didn't happen, 14th and 15th in Canada (quali), do I need to continue? Is this what you expected from the team that had 'one of the best chassis' last year and said goodbye to 100 million dollars. Don't make me laugh, stop defending this team that clearly isn't performing. Nobody expected them to beat Red Bull, but their pace hasn't been good at all. If you expect them to be easily fourth at the end of the season you're just as delusional as Boullier, Brown and Alonso.
Well that's a little 1 sided ...they were in the points in both those races ahead of most of the cars you mentioned when they DNF'd.

Ground Effect

dren wrote:
20 Jun 2018, 13:34
With the resources at Renault's disposal now as a works team, I don't see them doing anything but steadily improving. It'll be interesting to see how Mclaren fairs against them for the rest of the season.
Maybe Mclaren can pull a Force India and punch above their weight to 4th position?
Q: (Stefano Mancini – La Stampa) Kimi, will you help Vettel to win his championship this year?
Kimi Raikkonen: I can only drive one car, obviously. 
@2018 Singapore Grand Prix drivers press conference.

Alonso Fan

They've been on renault's pace in the most resent races. It's just qualifying pace they lack. If they can sort that out they can easily beat Renault in the races and get that fourth place back
SHR Modding
Youtube
Twitter
Discord

Sound Developer for Reiza Studios
Sound Modder for Assetto Corsa

RonDennis

diffuser wrote:
20 Jun 2018, 13:45
RonDennis wrote:
20 Jun 2018, 12:23
Chicane wrote:

Well that's a little 1 sided ...they were in the points in both those races ahead of most of the cars you mentioned when they DNF'd.
It it, just like it is calling McLaren's performance this year decent. After all their talk last year it's simply pathetic. It's not even about their place on the grid, it's all about the gap.

Alonso Fan

I still can't believe how many of you people fell for their marketing hype last year. The chassis was definitely better than this years but also definitely not the best as they claimed.

Personally I didn't pay much attention to the hype and up talk. Its probably why I look more positively at the situation this year
SHR Modding
Youtube
Twitter
Discord

Sound Developer for Reiza Studios
Sound Modder for Assetto Corsa

radosav

Why people repeat that they said they have got best chassis???
They never said that.