2018 McLaren F1 Team - Renault

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
ScottB
ScottB

Re: 2018 McLaren F1 Team - Renault

trinidefender wrote:
21 Jun 2018, 00:14
One thing people seem to not be talking about is funding. At present I would estimate that McLaren is probably the 5th most well funded F1 team with Renault ahead of them and Mercedes, Ferrari and Red Bull a long way in front of Renault again. It should be no surprise then that McLaren are 5th currently. They simply don't have the budget of the other teams currently, not since the days of Vodafone and Mercedes works teams status.

That is where Zak B comes in trying to bring sponsorship money which so far seems to be working. It is my belief that McLarens only hope for the future is to do what Ferrari does by expanding its road car business and using some of that money to support its Formula 1 team. This can be done incrementally over then next 10 years. That $153 million dollar investment is a good start.

What I believe will be cruicial to do before the 2021 cost cap is to upgrade facilities, get better simulators or what have you. Otherwise obtaining this equipment during that period will probably eat into a teams annual restricted budget. When that is established more of the budget can be spent on personnel year on year.

People love to bash EB but the problem is he can only work with the budget that he is given. There is a good possibility that he simply can't hire the number and scope of engineers that he wants to.

Edit: my atrocious grammar :oops:
Between their payments from the FIA and sponsorship deals, I'd be surprised if Ferrari's F1 program cost them much at all.

McLaren have lost a massive chunk of income and seen their costs go up. The owners have deep pockets, as long as they are happy to keep dipping into them. As far as I'm aware, Automotive and Applied Technologies are separate companies, how easily one could underwrite the other I'm not sure, not that either is in a place where that would be viable yet anyway.

trinidefender
trinidefender

ScottB wrote:
21 Jun 2018, 11:38
trinidefender wrote:
21 Jun 2018, 00:14
One thing people seem to not be talking about is funding. At present I would estimate that McLaren is probably the 5th most well funded F1 team with Renault ahead of them and Mercedes, Ferrari and Red Bull a long way in front of Renault again. It should be no surprise then that McLaren are 5th currently. They simply don't have the budget of the other teams currently, not since the days of Vodafone and Mercedes works teams status.

That is where Zak B comes in trying to bring sponsorship money which so far seems to be working. It is my belief that McLarens only hope for the future is to do what Ferrari does by expanding its road car business and using some of that money to support its Formula 1 team. This can be done incrementally over then next 10 years. That $153 million dollar investment is a good start.

What I believe will be cruicial to do before the 2021 cost cap is to upgrade facilities, get better simulators or what have you. Otherwise obtaining this equipment during that period will probably eat into a teams annual restricted budget. When that is established more of the budget can be spent on personnel year on year.

People love to bash EB but the problem is he can only work with the budget that he is given. There is a good possibility that he simply can't hire the number and scope of engineers that he wants to.

Edit: my atrocious grammar :oops:
Between their payments from the FIA and sponsorship deals, I'd be surprised if Ferrari's F1 program cost them much at all.

McLaren have lost a massive chunk of income and seen their costs go up. The owners have deep pockets, as long as they are happy to keep dipping into them. As far as I'm aware, Automotive and Applied Technologies are separate companies, how easily one could underwrite the other I'm not sure, not that either is in a place where that would be viable yet anyway.
They went through a restructuring last year which includes, "The formation of the new McLaren Group will underpin the continuing rapid growth of McLaren’s businesses and brand" and "The new McLaren Group unites McLaren Automotive – a globally-renowned producer of luxury sports and supercars – with McLaren Technology Group which includes one of the world’s oldest and most successful race teams and a high growth technology IP and consulting business"

I believe this was done intentionally so that in the future money can be moved around from department to department.

https://www.grandprix247.com/2017/06/30 ... departure/

Jackles-UK

As much as I’d love to see Ricciardo in a McLaren I don’t think it’s likely at all. Given the trials & tribulations he’s had with Renault and the opportunity of a genuine works engine setup for the first time in his career I see him staying with Red Bull for the meantime, at least until 2021.

Where that leaves McLaren if Alonso leaves is a conundrum; could they try to tempt JB out of F1 retirement as a third/development driver to support a very young but talented Norris & Vandoorne?

radosav
radosav

We can expect McLaren joining indycar with Alonso as driver.

Ground Effect
Ground Effect

If this story about Daniel Ricciardo is authentic, then I think Fernando would likely be off. Having them both would be way too much finiacial commitment in times like these. Personally, I'd prefer if they went on a recruitment drive, poaching Red Bull, maybe Renault technical/aero staff.
Q: (Stefano Mancini – La Stampa) Kimi, will you help Vettel to win his championship this year?
Kimi Raikkonen: I can only drive one car, obviously. 
@2018 Singapore Grand Prix drivers press conference.

Ground Effect
Ground Effect

Anybody know how reliable Sport Bild is? Apparently, that's where to story is emanating from. Though there are quotes from Marko, he doesn't mention the alleged $20M offer that's been reported.
Q: (Stefano Mancini – La Stampa) Kimi, will you help Vettel to win his championship this year?

radosav
radosav

Well Marko did make funny statements in past, just remember him saying Alonso is trying to get seat on red bull, well he only said something about " spanish wine " . He tryed to implicate it was Alonso, but it was Sainz who negotiated for torro rosso seat.
Wouldnt believe him too much.

diffuser

adrianjordan wrote:
21 Jun 2018, 10:51
I still think Daniel could sign a 2 year deal with McLaren, his stock is strong enough that he could take that risk, with an eye on Mercedes or Ferrari in 2021 if McLaren don’t become contenders in that time.
I don't see where McLaren have the cash to do that.

adrianjordan

diffuser wrote:
21 Jun 2018, 13:59
adrianjordan wrote:
I still think Daniel could sign a 2 year deal with McLaren, his stock is strong enough that he could take that risk, with an eye on Mercedes or Ferrari in 2021 if McLaren don’t become contenders in that time.
I don't see where McLaren have the cash to do that.
If Fernando leaves then they get the cash by not having to pay him.

Otherwise, they get the cash from their very wealthy backers. But I only see Daniel joining the team if Fernando leaves.
Favourite driver: Lando Norris
Favourite team: McLaren

Turned down the chance to meet Vettel at Silverstone in 2007. He was a test driver at the time and I didn't think it was worth queuing!! 🤦🏻‍♂️

adrianjordan

the EDGE wrote:
21 Jun 2018, 11:35
adrianjordan wrote:
He could, except Redbull have to be current 2021 title favourites right now, with the expected engine performance levelling. Don't they?

A shot at winning the title seems more important to him than money (personally i'd take the money but then i guess he already has plenty)

Don't get me wrong, its a long way off & McLaren have plenty of time to get their act together, but why piss of Rebull at this stage? if McLrean look like title contenders for 2021 i'm sure there would still be a seat for him
I actually agree that he will likely stay where he is, but there’s a lot of talk about RBR being focussed on Verstappen, maybe this is true and Daniel would rather move to a team where he can make himself the focus.
Favourite driver: Lando Norris
Favourite team: McLaren

Turned down the chance to meet Vettel at Silverstone in 2007. He was a test driver at the time and I didn't think it was worth queuing!! 🤦🏻‍♂️

Jolle
Jolle

If Alonso leaves McLaren needs a top driver, not just for the performance but most of all to keep relevant for potential sponsors and investors.
Hamilton won’t go anywhere near McLaren, Vettel is secure at Ferrari, Max is tied down at RedBull so that just leaves RIC.

Big Tea

The only real advantage in this move for Dan would be plain simple Ca$$h.
Why move from a team secure in 3rd spot and with a (expected) better engine coming to move to a team in the doldrums and the engine being replaced in his car?
(unless there is something we do not know and he has been told)

Yeh, 20 million a year for a couple of years would be nice, but he is hardly short of a bob or two at the moment, and Red Bull pay terrific points bonuses so he is likely to make that up in short order.

He is handling Max fine, and better to have a team mate who does not finish half the races than one who consistently finishes 3rd or 4th and you need to fight past him
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

Ground Effect
Ground Effect

Jolle wrote:
21 Jun 2018, 14:53
If Alonso leaves McLaren needs a top driver, not just for the performance but most of all to keep relevant for potential sponsors and investors.
Hamilton won’t go anywhere near McLaren, Vettel is secure at Ferrari, Max is tied down at RedBull so that just leaves RIC.
That's very logical from a Mclaren perspective, but is it from a Daniel Ricciardo perspective? We've been given the impression that he's desperate to be in a car to win him a World Championship, that description doesn't fit Mclaren. So apart from the 20 million reasons being touted, why would he go to Mclaren?

mclaren111

Andrew Benson:
A stat or two at the one-third point of the season: Fastest car, taking average of each team's fastest lap of a weekend: Ferrari. Mercedes +0.052; Red Bull +0.294; Renault +1.316; Force India +1.645; Has +1.764; McLaren +1.908; Toro Rosso +2.141; Sauber +2.564; Williams +2.659

Ouch :wink:

Hope we have a good weekend !!

ALO_Power
ALO_Power

McLaren better invest money on improving the car first. As for Ricciardo, I guess they're looking around to see who they can grab and who not in case Alonso leaves or for the future in general. Not much to jump up and down for.