[MVRC] Mantium Virtual Racecar Challenge 2017

Post here information about your own engineering projects, including but not limited to building your own car or designing a virtual car through CAD.
machin

Re: [MVRC] Mantium Virtual Racecar Challenge 2017

Cockpit width is the only thing I see...

I am really excited about the new Le Mans "GT-Prototype" regs... I love the old Porsche GT1 and Merc CLK GTR (last time I went to Le Mans those were the cars that were running; 20 years ago!!! 😆😆😆)...

....But those new rules don't work for the MVRC; they will design their cars to a set of target aero coefficients and then they'll be balanced up to equal aerodynamic performance (presumably using gurneys amongst other things).... That's the only way to get the cars looking more pleasing to the eye... But no good for an aerodynamics competition...
COMPETITION CAR ENGINEERING -Home of VIRTUAL STOPWATCH

rjsa

LVDH wrote:
18 Jun 2018, 17:55
I thought the halo was one of the good reasons to go back to those cars as it would be interesting to see how you guys deal with it.
There's nothing to do about it in the precision we work with IMO, it's there and that's it. All the work the teams do is with fine fairings, winglets and stuff. Everything thinner than our 10mm limits I guess.

I really loathe it - it was the straw that broke the camel back for me - I'm currently on a F1 sabbatical. But that's a subject for somewhere else.

CAEdevice

machin wrote:
18 Jun 2018, 20:46
...But those new rules don't work for the MVRC; they will design their cars to a set of target aero coefficients and then they'll be balanced up to equal aerodynamic performance (presumably using gurneys amongst other things).... That's the only way to get the cars looking more pleasing to the eye... But no good for an aerodynamics competition...
so sad...

CAEdevice

machin wrote:
Cockpit width is the only thing I see...
Yes, two seats but also shorter front and rear overhang (maybe half the overhang allowed in MVRC?).

rjsa

machin wrote:
....But those new rules don't work for the MVRC; they will design their cars to a set of target aero coefficients and then they'll be balanced up to equal aerodynamic performance (presumably using gurneys amongst other things).... That's the only way to get the cars looking more pleasing to the eye... But no good for an aerodynamics competition...
That's not gonna work, you heard it here first.

machin

rjsa wrote:
18 Jun 2018, 22:16
It's not much different from what they already do in GTE, GT3 and IMSA's DPi category, and they seem to work pretty well... they just homologate the bodywork by scanning it... Essentially aerodynamics becomes a controlled parameter... In the new "GTP" category the main performance differentiator will be the power train, which is what the manufacturers want, whilst we all get good looking sportscars...

From an aerodynamics point of view the category will still be interesting, as we'll see what the engineers have to do to counteract the "stylised" upper bodywork... And the cars will still be quick; Le Mans lap times of 3:20 are still the target.

...But that's all getting a bit off topic!

rjsa

machin wrote:
18 Jun 2018, 23:37
rjsa wrote:
18 Jun 2018, 22:16
It's not much different from what they already do in GTE, GT3 and IMSA's DPi category, and they seem to work pretty well... they just homologate the bodywork by scanning it... Essentially aerodynamics becomes a controlled parameter... In the new "GTP" category the main performance differentiator will be the power train, which is what the manufacturers want, whilst we all get good looking sportscars...

But that’s not trying to evaluate and compenste, right?

machin

Yeah, for example the IMSA DPi's are wind tunnel tested and adjusted to achieve aerodynamic parity...

https://www.imsa.com/qa-2017-daytona-pr ... pi-concept

That's also what the ACO have said they'll do with the new category.... So far the manufacturer's seem to be happy with the proposal...

CAEdevice

machin wrote:
19 Jun 2018, 12:58
Yeah, for example the IMSA DPi's are wind tunnel tested and adjusted to achieve aerodynamic parity...

https://www.imsa.com/qa-2017-daytona-pr ... pi-concept

That's also what the ACO have said they'll do with the new category.... So far the manufacturer's seem to be happy with the proposal...
It looks like wrestling... not good news from my point of view :(

True aerodynamicists will compete in MVRC only ;)

machin

CAEdevice wrote:
19 Jun 2018, 13:55
True aerodynamicists will compete in MVRC only ;)
Absolutely!!! :-D

rjsa

Ok, thanks for the lesson. Still think it’s kind of make belive, results still subject to too many factors to be used as a rule enforcement tool.

machin

etsmc wrote:
15 Jun 2018, 06:42
Just had another read through this thread, great starting point, and good to look over every now and then..
viewtopic.php?f=14&t=21934&hilit=design

Cool... and don’t forget that I distilled most of that thread down into a little E-book you can download from the MVRC webpage;

https://mantiumchallenge.com/mvrc-rules-files-2017/

I don’t think the 2018-2019 Superseason (if you follow WEC you’ll see what I did there...!) rules have been published yet... but it looks like it’ll only be a small evolution... anyone think they have made big progress with their car, or looking forward to trying out a revolutionary feature?!

rjsa

I’ve switched rhino for fusion and started over. Don’t even have HXs in place yet. If I get through inspection it will be a great first race already.

machin

Good idea... going parametric is definitely the way to go! 👍

I’m excited to see what you will all unveil for the new season!

rjsa

I've been using Rhino since beta. Same with the T-Splines plugin that I used for the last year's car. My head works that way, it's been a tough process.