2018 McLaren F1 Team - Renault

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
Ground Effect

Re: 2018 McLaren F1 Team - Renault

Alonso Fan wrote:
21 Jun 2018, 19:55
Ground Effect wrote:
21 Jun 2018, 18:32
Big Tea wrote:
21 Jun 2018, 18:22
The thing that comes to mind after reading that is Alonso obviously does not fancy his chanced in that car and if probably off,
So why would Dan?
Exactly! Except Daniel is in it for the money, or they're selling him a convincing 2021 project. Kinda like Mercedes did with Lewis, only this one will take a year longer than Lewis'
yes and the fact that mercedes' project actually worked.... really really well
But in all honesty, what kind of project would a Mclaren of today sell to Daniel Ricciardo that would be convincing? At least Mercedes were a works team, but Mclaren?
Q: (Stefano Mancini – La Stampa) Kimi, will you help Vettel to win his championship this year?
Kimi Raikkonen: I can only drive one car, obviously. 
@2018 Singapore Grand Prix drivers press conference.

Big Tea

Ground Effect wrote:
21 Jun 2018, 20:08
Alonso Fan wrote:
Ground Effect wrote:
21 Jun 2018, 18:32

Exactly! Except Daniel is in it for the money, or they're selling him a convincing 2021 project. Kinda like Mercedes did with Lewis, only this one will take a year longer than Lewis'
But in all honesty, what kind of project would a Mclaren of today sell to Daniel Ricciardo that would be convincing? At least Mercedes were a works team, but Mclaren?
An incoming engine supplier for the new regs?

Who could have that sort of pull to Ricciardo? one of 3?
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

604gtir

They could let him challenge wec and indy 500 freely as part of his contract?

Ground Effect

Big Tea wrote:
21 Jun 2018, 20:17
Ground Effect wrote:
Alonso Fan wrote:

:D How about:

We're signing on with BMW as our engine supplier and we'll be a works team, which will be headed by Andy Cowell from Mercedes... and by the way Adrian Newey is coming back...
Q: (Stefano Mancini – La Stampa) Kimi, will you help Vettel to win his championship this year?
Kimi Raikkonen: I can only drive one car, obviously. 
@2018 Singapore Grand Prix drivers press conference.

radosav

Albert Fabrega

1 h
No sé si es un adiós, pero es un toque d atención y si no recuerdo mal, la primera vez q dice q McLaren no está cumpliendo con las espectativas. Muy significativo.
Albert Fabrega
1 hour
I do not know if it's a goodbye, but it's a touch of attention and if I remember correctly, the first time it says that McLaren is not meeting the expectations. Very significant.

Big Tea

Ground Effect wrote:
21 Jun 2018, 20:43
Big Tea wrote:
21 Jun 2018, 20:17
Ground Effect wrote:

:D How about:

We're signing on with BMW as our engine supplier and we'll be a works team, which will be headed by Andy Cowell from Mercedes... and by the way Adrian Newey is coming back...

That'll do it (check date first, not April 1)
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

RonDennis

[media]https://twitter.com/SkySportsF1/status/ ... 1590067200[/media]
Fernando Alonso has described 2018 as a "transition year" for McLaren.

In recent days, rumours of a staff revolt at the British team have abounded, with former boss Martin Whitmarsh saying he is prepared to make a comeback.

McLaren 'on the right track'

Whitmarsh is critical of current bosses Eric Boullier and Zak Brown, saying the former has failed to deliver a competitive car while Brown is looking too far beyond the Formula One paddock.

Alonso, though, said in Cannes after winning Le Mans that McLaren is on the right track.

"We have improved compared to last year. We are not yet able to win the world championship, but we want to join the race for victories as soon as possible.

I believe this year is a transition year for us but we are moving in the right direction," the Spaniard added.

'Axing Honda was right'

Alonso played down those who say that even before the disastrous Honda period and now in the wake of it, McLaren is in an obvious decline.

"The decision the stop the cooperation with Honda was right, although it is clear that it was not easy for the team to accept.

The transition to Renault engines has been successful, as we are fighting for higher positions and earning points in almost every race, but it takes time for the cooperation to become truly fruitful," he said.

Also in Cannes, team executive Zak Brown similarly defended the current situation at McLaren.

"In sports there are no guarantees that you will win all the time, but I believe that McLaren is a very powerful brand, we have a rich heritage, and we will be able to overcome all our difficulties," he said.

The operation of the team is gradually improving, but we do want the pace of improvement to be faster," he admitted.
https://www.wheels24.co.za/FormulaOne/a ... a-20180621

Alonso he's been suggesting for years that he could look for another team next year, the truth is that nobody actually wants him except for McLaren. I do appreciate his talent, but sometimes you wonder wether a completely fresh start isn't better. I certainly wouldn't mind a line-up with Norris and Ricciardo. Ferrari aren't going to put him next to Vettel, Mercedes aren't going to put him next to Hamilton, Red Bull won't put him next to their favorite child and Renault isn't much better than McLaren.

This guy also keeps suggesting that there is some problem that's needs to be resolved to make big gains.

[media]https://twitter.com/ivanlda/status/1009690738588815361[/media]

godlameroso

There's a technical challenge with all hands on deck which is considerably important? If they surpass this technical challenge it should amount to a decent step forward? Suspension, aero?
Saishū kōnā

Manoah2u

All this news about more internal brawls @ Mclaren is really bad news.
It just shows that the storm is far from over, and that they're nowhere near where they need to be or can get.
One thing is clear though; Alonso 100% is not going to win, and thus obviously won't get a WDC, with Mclaren.
that much is obvious.

Despite all the turmoil, I do believe that Mclaren can maintain stability and find itself around 4th, 5th in the WCC standings.
This year perhaps, surely next year. But winning? No. Podiums? Only in lucky, rare circumstances and quite frankly, that doesn't
count as performance. Mclaren has time, Alonso has not.

I understand Mclaren lobbying for Ricciardo as he's really, really good, and even though I think VanDoorne is really, really disappointing,
he'd obviously replace a leaving Alonso.

But signing with Mclaren would be a big career downstep; except for some variables that do make some form of point though.

If Riccy stays with RedBull, he's going to be driving in Honda-powered RB's. That CAN be a huge disapointment too.
Staying with RB in itself could hurt his career - if Honda doesn't improve over Renault (in other words, they stay where they are).

Ferrari reportedly is closed because of Ricciardo's paycheck.
Mercedes doesn't seem to be open for Ricciardo as they don't look 'outside' of their own programme/market.
So what's left after RedBull?
Mclaren it seems.
Or, Renault.

I'd go for Mclaren over Renault though.
"Explain the ending to F1 in football terms"
"Hamilton was beating Verstappen 7-0, then the ref decided F%$& rules, next goal wins
while also sending off 4 Hamilton players to make it more interesting"

techman

Alonso played down those who say that even before the disastrous Honda period and now in the wake of it, McLaren is in an obvious decline.

"The decision the stop the cooperation with Honda was right, although it is clear that it was not easy for the team to accept.
the decision to remove honda was pressured by alonso. so no surprise he is happy honda is out. as a team leader you will have other issues like funding to think of , when honda is gone. zak did not think long term. i for one thank them for decision to throw honda out.

diffuser

techman wrote:
22 Jun 2018, 04:28

the decision to remove honda was pressured by alonso. so no surprise he is happy honda is out. as a team leader you will have other issues like funding to think of , when honda is gone. zak did not think long term. i for one thank them for decision to throw honda out.
I don't believe that Alonso did that, he just wants to win. Girls just want to have fun and Alonso wants to win. If that turned into pressure on McLaren to exit Honda, it was because he was told "Honda is the problem". I believe that Alonso puts pressure to win.

The switch to Renault was for the wrong reason. What is scary is they didn't see it in their telemetry. I don't think Renault are bad. In fact "I" think they're still a fair bit ahead of Honda.

techman

In fact "I" think they're still a fair bit ahead of Honda.
i believe its the opposite with the latest upgrade from H

Musa

techman wrote:
22 Jun 2018, 04:28

If they really decided to remove honda because of Alonso personal view and not by actual numbers and facts, then they should stop calling themselves a racing team. Their engineers should resign right now.

techman

If they really decided to remove honda because of Alonso personal view and not by actual numbers and facts, then they should stop calling themselves a racing team. Their engineers should resign right now.
i dont know if you heard this but zak mentioned last year when they signed with renault, he said if the renault was in their car, thier simulations showed they were ahead in some races compared to redbull. personally thats got to show two things. either their simulation are wrong or they just like to hype themselves up. dont always belive what their engineers tell you.

makecry

The fact that some people think that a multibillion company would let go of $700mil deal with the world's largest manufacturer of ICEs to please a 36 year old driver with 2-3 years left in F1 is farking laughable. I mean cmon, just use logic.