2018 McLaren F1 Team - Renault

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
BrunoH

Re: 2018 McLaren F1 Team - Renault

Mclaren have good ideas, but they then overcomplicate. they bolt on and make changes just to say they are bringing updates for the sake of it.

the car is over complicated aerowise. and underdeveloped chassis make it a mess to fix the problems.

RonDennis

Boullier certainly isn't denying that there are problems internally, from 13:00. The pressure is certainly building, as it should. I just watched the full video, damn they are really going for him. In my opinion he's done, when these things start there is no going back.

godlameroso

bauc wrote:
22 Jun 2018, 14:40
godlameroso wrote:
22 Jun 2018, 14:36
The problem is aero, and I'll say it until I'm blue in the face. They're throwing away the better part of a second because they don't take advantage of a big chunk of surface area in a critical location. It's just a void, a stagnant void that isn't doing anything at all, and it's not even the whole car that has to change, it's just one little area. Because otherwise the car is excellent aero wise. You think it's B.S. but all the tests they're doing will just end up telling them what I've been saying all along.
Send your resume to Mclaren ASAP, I'm not sarcastic here, I truly mean it. If you can spot whats wrong with the package just by looking at the car from photos, TV and videos then dam....my hat if off to you!
That's where all your confusion comes from it's not just from looking at car photos and videos. I'm not saying this because I have CFD eyes, no one does. I understand what's happening because I've seen it before, and that's how it was solved. If you want to have an aero effect surface area is king.
Saishū kōnā

godlameroso

PhillipM wrote:
22 Jun 2018, 14:55
Because it's so critical just sticking parts on there can do as much harm as good, and it's naivety in the extreme to think you could just turn up , slap parts on and fix it.

Yes, there's room for more development there, it's the biggest development area since the rule change, of course there is - but given the other teams copying parts from Mclarens BB's, they aren't all that bad...
You're right you can't just slap on parts to make the gains you need, there's still more work to do, but it can and will bring an improvement. No one on the field is copying the outer edge of McLaren's barge boards, no one. No one leaves gaping holes in that area, no one puts an air brake directly in front of their mid wing element, not a single team with a fast car is copying McLaren's solution in this area.
Saishū kōnā

Ground Effect

Is the new nose working? Maybe they should revert to the old one.
Q: (Stefano Mancini – La Stampa) Kimi, will you help Vettel to win his championship this year?
Kimi Raikkonen: I can only drive one car, obviously. 
@2018 Singapore Grand Prix drivers press conference.

PhillipM

It's not an airbrake, the airflow isn't hitting that panel straight on, not even close, the outwash there behind the tyre is massive.

BrunoH

Mclaren are so slow, i think they will struggle to make it to Q2 again....

Benii6

I'm thinking that Haas will be easily best of the rest, similar to Barcelona. Last two spots in Q3, up for grabs between FI, Renault and McLaren.

techman

I'm thinking that Haas will be easily best of the rest, similar to Barcelona. Last two spots in Q3, up for grabs between FI, Renault and McLaren.
haas force india and renault and plus gasly have a good chance to enter q3. i had look at the race pace times and mclaren are pretty slow.

chepoi

it's time to fire Zac Brown and Eric Boullier. they are loser with full of reasons.... just fire both of them. i' m tired of this no improvement performance year in year out.

techman

i agree eric should be fired. this bloke last year was boasting about the mclaren developments and according to him every development brought made them close to the top 3. no wonder there are people inside mclaren just had enough of his bs

Ground Effect

techman wrote:
22 Jun 2018, 18:53
i agree eric should be fired. this bloke last year was boasting about the mclaren developments and according to him every development brought made them close to the top 3. no wonder there are people inside mclaren just had enough of his bs
I find it odd that you're obsessed with the firing of Eric Boullier, from all indications, you're not a Mclaren fan, so what do you care if he's fired or not?
Q: (Stefano Mancini – La Stampa) Kimi, will you help Vettel to win his championship this year?

techman

i think most mclaren fans will say firing eric b is the right thing to do. he failed. you are right i am not a mclaren fan but i understand why mclaren want him out. he totally failed the team.

Chicane

Quickshifter

Ground Effect

techman wrote:
22 Jun 2018, 19:04
i think most mclaren fans will say firing eric b is the right thing to do. he failed. you are right i am not a mclaren fan but i understand why mclaren want him out. he totally failed the team.
How exactly? In designing the car? For reliability issues? Switching to Renault? He didn't design the car, or decide on the switch, Mansour Ojjeh pushed for the switch. He started putting pressure on them as early as pre season 2017. He thought his good relationship with Mercedes hierarchy would get them a deal. Eric does exactly what Christian Horner does, if the car doesn't go fast would you blame Horner? If the switch to Honda doesn't pay off should Horner get fired?
I think you just have a thing for people getting fired. You want Eric fired, Zak fired, Fernando fired, Hartley fired over at STR...