2018 McLaren F1 Team - Renault

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
Chicane

Re: 2018 McLaren F1 Team - Renault

Alonso "difficult to analyze times. We've done tests D future face. We haven't been able to make the whole batch by red flag. There's a lot of grip. Happy. The tires hold up well. The team is very close and full. There's nothing weird about it. The situation is more positive than Q seems "
https://twitter.com/AlbertFabrega/statu ... 4195101697
Quickshifter

McMika98

Looking forward to the second sequel of Grand Prix Racer in Amazon next year. It would be even more entertaining this year with all the Freddo Bar handouts.
Race pace is one of the worst in the hands of Vandoorne so another tough outing.

makecry

McMika98 wrote:
22 Jun 2018, 19:46
Looking forward to the second sequel of Grand Prix Racer in Amazon next year. It would be even more entertaining this year with all the Freddo Bar handouts.
Race pace is one of the worst in the hands of Vandoorne so another tough outing.
Who said there was a sequel in works.

RonDennis

Ground Effect wrote:
22 Jun 2018, 19:19
techman wrote:
22 Jun 2018, 19:04
i think most mclaren fans will say firing eric b is the right thing to do. he failed. you are right i am not a mclaren fan but i understand why mclaren want him out. he totally failed the team.
How exactly? In designing the car? For reliability issues? Switching to Renault? He didn't design the car, or decide on the switch, Mansour Ojjeh pushed for the switch. He started putting pressure on them as early as pre season 2017. He thought his good relationship with Mercedes hierarchy would get them a deal. Eric does exactly what Christian Horner does, if the car doesn't go fast would you blame Horner? If the switch to Honda doesn't pay off should Horner get fired?
I think you just have a thing for people getting fired. You want Eric fired, Zak fired, Fernando fired, Hartley fired over at STR...
I would blame Horner yes, that's exactly were the problem lies at McLaren. Nobody knows who's exactly responsible for this mess they're currently in. The are always talking about problems they're aware of, but how about fixing them?

RonDennis

Lol at those jabs at Whitmarsh.

Phil

If the team is failing to reach goals, something should be done. Doesnt matter if Eric is at fault or not, but someone has to take resonsibility (and show leadership). Therefore it’s important to bring in someone new, also to set a sign that failure is not tolerated.
Not for nothing, Rosberg's Championship is the only thing that lends credibility to Hamilton's recent success. Otherwise, he'd just be the guy who's had the best car. — bhall II
#Team44 supporter

RonDennis

Phil wrote:
22 Jun 2018, 21:29
If the team is failing to reach goals, something should be done. Doesnt matter if Eric is at fault or not, but someone has to take resonsibility (and show leadership). Therefore it’s important to bring in someone new, also to set a sign that failure is not tolerated.
Eric Boullier is responsible for car development, so I don't understand why people want him to stay. It simple: fix the problems or gtfo.

Ground Effect

RonDennis wrote:
22 Jun 2018, 21:36
Phil wrote:
Eric Boullier is responsible for car development, so I don't understand why people want him to stay. It simple: fix the problems or gtfo.
Tim Goss was fired, should Eric have been fired instead?
Q: (Stefano Mancini – La Stampa) Kimi, will you help Vettel to win his championship this year?
Kimi Raikkonen: I can only drive one car, obviously. 
@2018 Singapore Grand Prix drivers press conference.

taperoo2k

RonDennis wrote:
22 Jun 2018, 21:18
Ground Effect wrote:
22 Jun 2018, 19:19
techman wrote:
22 Jun 2018, 19:04
i think most mclaren fans will say firing eric b is the right thing to do. he failed. you are right i am not a mclaren fan but i understand why mclaren want him out. he totally failed the team.
How exactly? In designing the car? For reliability issues? Switching to Renault? He didn't design the car, or decide on the switch, Mansour Ojjeh pushed for the switch. He started putting pressure on them as early as pre season 2017. He thought his good relationship with Mercedes hierarchy would get them a deal. Eric does exactly what Christian Horner does, if the car doesn't go fast would you blame Horner? If the switch to Honda doesn't pay off should Horner get fired?
I think you just have a thing for people getting fired. You want Eric fired, Zak fired, Fernando fired, Hartley fired over at STR...
I would blame Horner yes, that's exactly were the problem lies at McLaren. Nobody knows who's exactly responsible for this mess they're currently in. The are always talking about problems they're aware of, but how about fixing them?
It's easy to blame the public facing members of F1 teams, but unless info leaks out we don't often know what the internal dynamics of a team are. It's likely a fine line between success and failure in F1. Always easy to blame somebody like Horner as that's part of his job, taking the flak when the team doesn't do so well.

As for McLaren's problems ? I think the team need to accept that they are not what they once were and to get back to that they are going to have make some pretty radical decisions and stop with the PR games. Because it just adds more pressure onto the team when success fails to materialise. If McLaren are looking towards the new engine regulations (like Red Bull are) then now is the time to make whatever changes are necessary to ensure they have the best possible base to build from for the 2021 season. I can't honestly see McLaren winning a race in terms outright pace in the current engine formula. Unless Renault finally get the PU caught up with Ferrari and Mercedes and McLaren deliver on having the best chassis on the grid, rather than spinning that they have.

I'm a fan of McLaren but they are lost, they need somebody who can galvanise the team and move them forward. Rather than expecting things to come right just because they are McLaren. If things don't change, I can see them in a similar rut to Williams. Though I'm not sure if the McLaren owners will bankroll the F1 team if it continues to underperform for years to come.

RonDennis

Ground Effect wrote:
22 Jun 2018, 21:47
RonDennis wrote:
Phil wrote:
Well, Boullier should be allowed to fire people, I don't have a problem with that. I'm simply missing a plan, he's still talking about experiments and projects, but does he know that the season has actually started?

Ground Effect

RonDennis wrote:
22 Jun 2018, 21:55
Ground Effect wrote:
22 Jun 2018, 21:47
RonDennis wrote:

Well, Boullier should be allowed to fire people, I don't have a problem with that. I'm simply missing a plan, he's still talking about experiments and projects, but does he know that the season has actually started?
The thing is, even if there's a fix and the know what it is and how to go about it, unfortunately in F1, things don't get fixed overnight. They say they haven't given up on 2018, more new bits arrived today, it's obvious they're not folding their hands. It's also obvious it won't get fixed as soon as every fan would like.
Q: (Stefano Mancini – La Stampa) Kimi, will you help Vettel to win his championship this year?
Kimi Raikkonen: I can only drive one car, obviously. 
@2018 Singapore Grand Prix drivers press conference.

techman

reasons for firing eric b
1. creating false expectations of competing for podiums with renault switch.
2. lack of respect from team members at ground level. you need to earn respect but eric b just cant. team is not under control. no one is in charge .
Last edited by techman on 23 Jun 2018, 02:20, edited 1 time in total.

Redragon

this talk by Simon Sinek explains well Mclaren situation,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4VdO7LuoBzM

diffuser

techman wrote:
22 Jun 2018, 23:52
reasons for firing eric b
1. creating false expectations of competing for podiums with renault switch.
2. lack of respect from team members at ground level. you need to earn respect but eric b just cant. team is not under control. no one is in charge .

It's YOUR opinion that he created false expectation, it is YOUR opinion that is a bad thing and it is YOUR opinion he has no respect. Yet this forum has more entries that RBR, STR, Sauber and FI combined. So is it bad, brilliant or accidental? Just because you don't like something, doesn't make it bad. Plus, your assuming anyone at McLaren even cares about #1 and we really don't know anything #2, just hear say.

I for 1, have defended him often. Not really cause I like him, just cause I think he gets criticized for all the dumb reasons.
Last edited by diffuser on 23 Jun 2018, 03:45, edited 1 time in total.

techman

It YOUR opinion that he created false expectation, it is YOUR opinion that is a bad thing and it is YOUR opinion he has no respect. Yet this forum has more entries that RBR,STR,Sauber and FI combined. So is it bad or brilliant? Just because you don't like something it, doesn't make it bad.
funny, i suggest go to the mclaren twitter feed and read mclaren fans talking about firing eric and zak. these are mclaren die hard fans who have felt those expectation that mclaren gave but did not live up to it this year. just have a read and then you will see its not only my opinion.