2018 McLaren F1 Team - Renault

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
Zynerji

Re: 2018 McLaren F1 Team - Renault

Manoah2u wrote:
24 Jun 2018, 12:27
let's get things really rolling and bring on some tinfoil stuff......

could there be any possibilty of sabotage?

Whitmarsh -somehow- still works at Mclaren despite getting the boot a couple years ago and nobody knowing what happened to him (i remember that discussion here),
Ron came back and there was a lot of discomfort top to bottom, Ron supposedly tried some sort of coup with (chinese?) investors and then was shown the exit, that VW guy
got hired and immediately sacked, Zak got appointed, Bouillier still there (somehow), arguments with Honda, expected, calculated results stay out both from Honda aswell
as Mclaren, Honda is out yet no change at Mclaren, and now there is a employee riot which was also 'prompted' by sacking Tim Goss....and now the chaos is complete @ Mclaren.
In any case, the environment is surely to blame, it's a gigantic mess @ woking, that much is clear.
At the same time, how can - after all those years - the team still be so far from anything 'good' ?

I know it's reaching, sure. Just a thought pattern i'd be curious to see into.
There have been several mentions about the circumstances @ Ferrari too before, regarding Mattiacci for example.
I make my living repairing companies with issues similar to these. Almost every time, it comes down to a percieved lack of appreciation which is caused by a toxic lack (or ban) of honest communication. In my experience, those 2 items are a direct result of narcissistic leadership that will not allow good ideas to come from anywhere but themselves.

It doesn't take long to fix. New leadership that just has to listen and actually implement some ideas from the workforce. I personally sit everyone down to interview when I'm brought in, and the last question I ask is "What one thing should we do, yesterday?"

I take that entire list, build an implementation strategy, and get miraculous results.

The workers KNOW what needs to be done. Debacles like this stem from leaders that refuse to value the synergistic ideas of all levels of its workforce.

mclaren111

I say fire EB. :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Zynerji

Me too. I believe he's the HNiC.

Head narcissist in charge!

radosav

Well,it is great that they chose Renault engine. It was eye opening .

godlameroso

Zynerji wrote:
24 Jun 2018, 14:59
Manoah2u wrote:

Whitmarsh -somehow- still works at Mclaren despite getting the boot a couple years ago and nobody knowing what happened to him (i remember that discussion here),
Ron came back and there was a lot of discomfort top to bottom, Ron supposedly tried some sort of coup with (chinese?) investors and then was shown the exit, that VW guy
got hired and immediately sacked, Zak got appointed, Bouillier still there (somehow), arguments with Honda, expected, calculated results stay out both from Honda aswell
as Mclaren, Honda is out yet no change at Mclaren, and now there is a employee riot which was also 'prompted' by sacking Tim Goss....and now the chaos is complete @ Mclaren.
In any case, the environment is surely to blame, it's a gigantic mess @ woking, that much is clear.
At the same time, how can - after all those years - the team still be so far from anything 'good' ?

There have been several mentions about the circumstances @ Ferrari too before, regarding Mattiacci for example.
I make my living repairing companies with issues similar to these. Almost every time, it comes down to a percieved lack of appreciation which is caused by a toxic lack (or ban) of honest communication. In my experience, those 2 items are a direct result of narcissistic leadership that will not allow good ideas to come from anywhere but themselves.

It doesn't take long to fix. New leadership that just has to listen and actually implement some ideas from the workforce. I personally sit everyone down to interview when I'm brought in, and the last question I ask is "What one thing should we do, yesterday?"

I take that entire list, build an implementation strategy, and get miraculous results.

The workers KNOW what needs to be done. Debacles like this stem from leaders that refuse to value the synergistic ideas of all levels of its workforce.
I couldn't have said it better myself.
Saishū kōnā

ALO_Power

Before we go nuts tho, take a look at this.

Carlos Sainz (Renault) starts P7 on the grid, best of the rest which is where we should be now, right?

SAINZ time on Q1: 1:32.394
ALONSO time on Q1: 1:32.976

And in Q3 with track improving SAINZ: 1:32.126

So, it's not that the pace is deadly bad, it is bad but it shows massively with the teams being so close together.

Dipesh1995

https://www.glassdoor.co.uk/Reviews/McL ... 011_P2.htm

This also includes the Automotive and MAT reviews but still gives an indication of what people think and feel working at McLaren.

PinkFloydPulse

Dipesh1995 wrote:
24 Jun 2018, 15:26
https://www.glassdoor.co.uk/Reviews/McL ... 011_P2.htm

This also includes the Automotive and MAT reviews but still gives an indication of what people think and feel working at McLaren.
Sh**T and to think I applied for an IT operations position there... :o :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Team Fernando!

diffuser

techman wrote:
24 Jun 2018, 09:40
not having good mechanical grip doesnt necessarily mean bad aero. the rear suspension geometry has an issue. but also their is an inefficient aero issue that cause them to loose time on the straights
Mechanical grip was something WE assumed. It wasn't what McLaren had said. So now they've expanded on that in telling us it's an Aero issue. SO I think you can forget the mechanical grip as an issue.

Aero issue = "inefficient aero" ="having to run more everything to get same DF which ends up in slower top speed".

RonDennis

ALO_Power wrote:
24 Jun 2018, 15:24
Before we go nuts tho, take a look at this.

Carlos Sainz (Renault) starts P7 on the grid, best of the rest which is where we should be now, right?

SAINZ time on Q1: 1:32.394
ALONSO time on Q1: 1:32.976

And in Q3 with track improving SAINZ: 1:32.126

So, it's not that the pace is deadly bad, it is bad but it shows massively with the teams being so close together.
The pace is deadly bad. McLaren expected to be clear 4th this year, imagine how bad the car really turned out. I've been saying it from day one, there is something fundamentally wrong with the car. In Canada they were just 8 tenths quicker compared to 2017, with quicker tires and a much, much, much better engine then last year.

diffuser wrote:
24 Jun 2018, 16:06
techman wrote:
24 Jun 2018, 09:40
not having good mechanical grip doesnt necessarily mean bad aero. the rear suspension geometry has an issue. but also their is an inefficient aero issue that cause them to loose time on the straights
Mechanical grip was something WE assumed. It wasn't what McLaren had said. So now they've expanded on that in telling us it's an Aero issue. SO I think you can forget the mechanical grip as an issue.

Aero issue = "inefficient aero" ="having to run more everything to get same DF which ends up in slower top speed".

You're right.

"The car has a weakness this year which we have already pointed out, a low-speed-corner lack of grip," said Boullier.

"And here you have only low-speed corners, I think the highest [corner] speed is 140km/h [87mph].

"We knew coming here that it would be difficult, a bit like Bahrain characteristics.

"And to compensate for this lack of low-speed grip, we have to carry more wing, which means more drag.

"The best compromise for our speed level is to run more drag, more downforce, and that's hurt us."

Boullier stressed it is important for McLaren to continue to develop the car, despite the obvious temptation to switch development to 2019.

"I think it's worth developing it for a few of reasons," he added.

"The first one is to understand what's wrong, and to not repeat any kind of platform mistakes in the future.

Darth-Piekus

I was afraid that something bad happened within Woking during the Winter. You can't just botch so much one of the best chassis in just one year but botch the updates also.

Something is definately going on inside Woking and toxicity needs to be removed in order to fix the team.

So what now? Do we forget 2018 or keep trying to get 4th place?

Alonso Fan

Darth-Piekus wrote:
24 Jun 2018, 17:40
I was afraid that something bad happened within Woking during the Winter. You can't just botch so much one of the best chassis in just one year but botch the updates also.

Something is definately going on inside Woking and toxicity needs to be removed in order to fix the team.

Hopefully they can still challenge for fourth on the constructors championship. Some of the tracks coming up should suit mclaren more
SHR Modding
Youtube
Twitter
Discord

Sound Developer for Reiza Studios
Sound Modder for Assetto Corsa

RonDennis

Darth-Piekus wrote:
24 Jun 2018, 17:40

The problem is that they can't, else they'll take their problems with them next year. With this car McLaren will suck on every track. Pace in Canada was even better.

Redragon

Zynerji wrote:
24 Jun 2018, 14:59
Manoah2u wrote:

Specially when you are asking to your employees to work long hours to meet your cocky targets

Darth-Piekus

I have to mention that this is not the first time Mclaren was so low so I don't think it is right to bash them. I am sure that sooner or later the team will be fixed.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/McLaren_G ... ix_results

Now on to the main point. What can people propose that Mclaren should do in order to be championship winning team? Tell me what would you do if you were Olej Mansour.