2018 Scuderia Toro Rosso F1 Team - Honda

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
nzjrs

Re: 2018 Scuderia Toro Rosso F1 Team - Honda

restless wrote:
24 Jun 2018, 17:25
making Hartley run 40 laps on US certainly didn't help at all :/
They rolled the dice waiting for Rain, sadly it didn't work out.

Marti_EF3

Really they need the new aero package... And to be a little less agressive on the start... No sense to keep Hartley out with 40L on the Ultras. With more laps with the SS they would overtake a few more positions...

Bad race overall :cry:

j.yank
j.yank

nzjrs wrote:
24 Jun 2018, 14:33
techman wrote:
24 Jun 2018, 12:37
toro rosso is very sensitive to aero compared to others
How do you know this specifically techman
It seems that they have very narrow window of optimum aero settings. This make them not even in all sectors, and very sensitive to changing track conditions. Yesterday Gasly complained about sudden massive understeering in Q2. It cannot appear from nowhere but only from the chassis.

Anyway, today strategy was the most stupid thing that they could do.

j.yank
j.yank

Actually Hartley didn't do any mistakes. He kept the pace of Vandoorn until 20th lap but when the tyres were gone, instead immediately to pull him in the pit, they waited another 20 laps hoping for rain, but all of the rest also had waiting for rain, and it would not make any difference at the end - they just ruined his race.

loner

j.yank wrote:
24 Jun 2018, 18:24
techman wrote:
24 Jun 2018, 18:18
when gasly was out. i lost any hopes for points. brendon is really a slow driver , no confidence and doesnt really belong in F1. shame. toro rosso is just a one driver scoring team.
Actually Hartley didn't do any mistakes. He kept the pace of Vandoorn until 20th lap but when the tyres were gone, instead immediately to pull him in the pit, they waited another 20 laps hoping for rain, but all of the rest also had waiting for rain, and it would not make any difference at the end - they just ruined his race.
VAN is slow as well , no big deal STR not a world beater lets not over reacted , the PU development is great and thats it.. any thing more is a plus.
para bellum.

Sayeman

The chassis has definitely regressed since the start of last year. People are complaining that TR was actually more competitive with the Renault engine last year but to me that's not the case. Gasly could have done better to avoid the accident, once he was gone I knew the points are gone too.

hartley is decent but lacks the killer speed to be honest. Was stuck behind Ericsson. Even didn't manage to close up on Vandoorne when the Mclaren were the second slowest this weekend.
Never Give up.

McMika98
McMika98

Poor race and surely they must use RedBulls info on weather, had Hartley pitted earlier maybe P11 was possible. Anyways update on the next race but now evwry team is making good progress. Sauber is looking real quick so is Haas and Renault. Hopefully they turn the engine up in Austria and the aero upgrade makes ut more stable.

Big Tea

carisi2k wrote:
24 Jun 2018, 13:00
Big Tea wrote:
24 Jun 2018, 11:56

I suspect they have been playing with the dif and lost the settings after the rain
It was the one run at the end of Q2 that he had understeer and not the whole of Q1 and Q2. They can't play with the differential once qualifying starts and so your theory is invalid unless something broke. A gust of wind is the most probable explanation.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IRGDNW61Bvs

45 seconds in.
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

ArcticWolfie
ArcticWolfie

I still don't get it why they waited so long with Hartley's pitstop... :( but Gasly out was terrible.

etusch

when Gasly out I said this race finished for me.
I think they made two different strategy for both driver and they stick the plan for Hartley anyway.

Ground Effect
Ground Effect

Marti_EF3 wrote:
24 Jun 2018, 18:00
Really they need the new aero package... And to be a little less agressive on the start... No sense to keep Hartley out with 40L on the Ultras. With more laps with the SS they would overtake a few more positions...

Bad race overall :cry:
I think they were hoping for rain, there was a time it was said that rain was potentially 20mins away. It's also possible that they run better on Ultrasofts than the other tyres, hence the long stint... but I'm just guessing.
Q: (Stefano Mancini – La Stampa) Kimi, will you help Vettel to win his championship this year?
Kimi Raikkonen: I can only drive one car, obviously. 
@2018 Singapore Grand Prix drivers press conference.

techman
techman

finger crossed , i hope gasly doesnt crash in austria. cant wait for aero update. he is our only hope for points scoring. toro rosso desperatly need an experience driver. now i know why toro rosso is a just testing platform for the big brother redbull.

Singabule
Singabule

restless wrote:
24 Jun 2018, 17:25
making Hartley run 40 laps on US certainly didn't help at all :/
The race engineer maybe give up after no rain. But its fair to say STR miss Both skeptical approach

Godius

These are learning moments but it was not that bad to be honest. Hartley's race was always going to be compromised with the 35 place penalty. They were hoping for something to happen in the safety car window or that it would rain, it did not happen.

techman
techman

These are learning moments but it was not that bad to be honest. Hartley's race was always going to be compromised with the 35 place penalty. They were hoping for something to happen in the safety car window or that it would rain, it did not happen.
hartley race was comprimised having to start at back, however his race pace compared to gasly is night and day and its been for all this season. check fia.com and compare the race pace laptimes. gasly would have done a much better job. i at least expected to beat the mclaren who were slower than the toro rosso this race but he couldnt. anyway hoping he improves his game orelse it will not last that long with marko watching