General Honda F1 Topic

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
loner

Re: General Honda F1 Topic

Wazari wrote:
20 Jun 2018, 01:24
I am happy with Honda's progress and patience. The new spec 618PU was run very conservatively in Canada with the 3 most aggressive modes not used, not even in qualifying. RBR has dyno numbers of both PU's (Honda and Renault) and the decision shouldn't have been that difficult. There should be another variation of the cylinder head and turbo coming before the last third of the season. Anyway, that's it. I'm done. It's been mostly nice. This is me signing off. Take care all, Mitsuru.
- indeed Tanabe said he want 2 or 3 races to get the utmost from this PU.
- yeah another upgrade was confirmed by Masashi Yamamoto .. taking into account the 7 races we should see this upgrade in Monza or Singapore.
- its a bargain for both .. Honda just captured the best chassis and RBR just captured a works deal solely.. there should be glory days...
- i don't count you as fake .. iam sure you do work for Honda and you are here to defend your company.
para bellum.

HPD

Is coming :lol:

maguetox
maguetox

Beautiful, with all the responsibility, stress and anxiety this is going to create inside Honda and the fans.

roon
roon

I expect some more red. And smaller sidepods. 8)

And maybe some white. Not without precedent...

urbanglowcam

roon wrote:
20 Jun 2018, 21:05
I expect some more red. And smaller sidepods. 8)

And maybe some white. Not without precedent...

http://i.imgur.com/zEMKofW.jpg
A good reference is the Red Bull Team Mugen car in Super Formula that Gasly drove just last year.

I also want to show my support for Wazari-san. His posts are one of the reasons I even frequent these forums.

Marti_EF3

[media]https://mobile.twitter.com/AlbertFabreg ... 6514691072[/media]

Albert Fabrega says that the issue with Gasly PU on Canada was a minor one and they made a few corrections and all is OK now. What is not clear is if that engine can be used on the future or not. Anyway it's good news that it was only a minor issue :mrgreen:

dren

He also states in that tweet that the upgrade was worth 3 tenths in quali and 4-5 tenths in race pace. I'd say based on that, the 3 tenths is power improvement and the additional tenths are energy management improvements. They shouldn't have energy issues during a quali lap, so any time improvement would likely be pure power improvement.
Honda!

Revs84
Revs84

It was reported that the issue was down to the mgu-h, so my understanding is that they had brought an updated mgu-h with the spec 2 PU - which also explains why Hartley wasn't at risk of running into the same issue.

Question is, what was updated on the mgu-h? Is it possible that when Marko mentioned that Honda couldn't use all the performance of the new PU this was actually down to the mgu-h?

dren

Wazari stated the PU wasn't run with its top performing maps in quali or race, so I'm guessing that's what Marko is Marko-ing about.
Honda!

Marti_EF3

dren wrote:
21 Jun 2018, 18:29
He also states in that tweet that the upgrade was worth 3 tenths in quali and 4-5 tenths in race pace. I'd say based on that, the 3 tenths is power improvement and the additional tenths are energy management improvements. They shouldn't have energy issues during a quali lap, so any time improvement would likely be pure power improvement.
0,5 secs on race pace is a hell of a update only due to engine =D>

turbof1

Ok this is getting out of hand. I am forced to close this thread for now. I will give it a good scrub tomorrow and think which posts to move, which posts to remove.
#AeroFrodo

turbof1

So,

I have thought a little bit about this. The topic got completely derailed by this incident. The topic has to stay on on topic in the first place. So I took the decision to delete all the posts involved with the public fallout towards mr. Wazari-san, including all the messages of support. However, don't panic: I will put all these messages in a PM and send them to Wazari.

For the record, nobody is forced to prove him or herself who he or she is. Their own posts will do that. Information shared by people involved in F1 is something to be grateful for. Yes, there is always a need for awareness to not get, so to speak, trolled, but neither should that give freedom for unfounded accusations.

I also wish to thank anybody who made such a message for their show of decency. It's heart warming to see how the community pulls with one vision and one will and how we can reach a certain level of respect and decency even on the internet.

I am going to reopen this topic with the intention we are back on topic now. The incident is hereby closed and any further posts on it will be removed as well. Further messages of support can be send to me or directly to mr. Wazari-san.
#AeroFrodo

ArcticWolfie
ArcticWolfie

Wonder if Hartley drove with an older engine...

HPD

The first official photo

"When I first discussed with the board members, us, Honda, is here to improve the technology and win with the improvement that we do," said Yamamoto.

"By joining with Red Bull, it is our opportunity to show our potential and to grow."

Red Bull will give Honda free rein on engine design - Horner
Both partners ambition to bring the title back into their respective homes, but Yamamoto admits it’s a tall order, although not an unsurmountable one to execute, when queried on its ability of achieving that target.

"It's a very difficult question! Of course it's a difficult question and we want to do our best," he said.

"We need to work in collaboration - with Tanabe [Honda's F1 technical director] as well, all of us - and that's our goal, but it's a high goal."

"I want to show our respect to Red Bull, because from day one there is a very big mutual respect between us. So it's a very fair relationship, yes."

Since the latter part of last season, Honda has pulled out all the stops to win over Red Bull's trust.

Ultimately however, the performance of its latest-spec engine introduced in Canada, and the insight its future partner was given, was the deal breaker.

"There are two aspects. Last year after the Suzuka Grand Prix, I invited Dr. Helmut [Marko, Red Bull motorsport boss], Christian [Horner], and the two drivers to visit HRD at Sakura, our facilities," he revealed.

"And then in Canada Grand Prix, we have shown to Dr. Marko the development map of what we have achieved in our goal for the entire season.

"We also have given data as a report of all the GPS and all the data that we have of all the progress of the details, we have opened it up."

roon
roon

Any chance some of the power unit manufacturing will make it's way to Milton Keynes, a la Mercedes HPP in Brixworth? Aston Martin and Honda aren't exactly competing for market share, so there could even be some cooperation between those two entities as well, beyond finance. Can these three (AM, RB, and Honda) in concert bootstrap a powertrain division comparable to HPP? What role could Tag Heuer play?

Sidenote: Did you know Merc-HPP's predecessor Ilmor "between 2003 and 2005 had been contracted to co-develop, [arrange], [prepare] and tune up Honda's IndyCar Series engines until 2011."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mercedes_ ... owertrains