Deleted Posts and User Reputation

Everything about this website and its content. Here you will find update announcements or requests for feedback. Questions about layout, functionality, content, and your suggestions are welcome.
nzjrs

Deleted Posts and User Reputation

There are a handful of users on this forum who have negative reputation, but they continue to make flagrantly off-topic and inflammatory posts. Those posts are then deleted, and as far as I can tell, deleted posts do not contribute to the reputation score. This leads to the reputation score not reflecting truly how bad certain users are.

Is there any possibility that this could be corrected? This bias can mislead moderators and users on the usefulness of certain posters.

djos

Re: Deleted Posts and User Reputation

It swings the other way too, I've lost a swag of upvotes to deleted posts and I'm sure others have also.
"In downforce we trust"

turbof1

nzjrs wrote:
25 Jun 2018, 13:58
There are a handful of users on this forum who have negative reputation, but they continue to make flagrantly off-topic and inflammatory posts. Those posts are then deleted, and as far as I can tell, deleted posts do not contribute to the reputation score. This leads to the reputation score not reflecting truly how bad certain users are.

Is there any possibility that this could be corrected? This bias can mislead moderators and users on the usefulness of certain posters.
? Deleted posts that were downrated, still have their votes counting, unless the votes are manually removed by the moderator group.

This is how it currently works however. I don't recall how it did a year ago. We introduced back then a way to "soft" delete messages, so the deleted message would only be hidden unless hard deleted afterwards. But this is definitely how it works now: messages that get removed keep their vote status.
#AeroFrodo

nzjrs

turbof1 wrote:
25 Jun 2018, 14:07
nzjrs wrote:

? Deleted posts that were downrated, still have their votes counting, unless the votes are manually removed by the moderator group.

This is how it currently works however. I don't recall how it did a year ago. We introduced back then a way to "soft" delete messages, so the deleted message would only be hidden unless hard deleted afterwards. But this is definitely how it works now: messages that get removed keep their vote status.
Are you absolutely sure? I've just seen a users rep go up by exactly the value of their (negative rated) deleted posts this very morning. I've observed this happen many times to a few particular users that I reluctantly keep an eye on.

turbof1

nzjrs wrote:
25 Jun 2018, 14:26
turbof1 wrote:
nzjrs wrote:

Are you absolutely sure? I've just seen a users rep go up by exactly the value of their (negative rated) deleted posts this very morning. I've observed this happen many times to a few particular users that I reluctantly keep an eye on.
I'm going through the logs and there was only one post deleted (which had no votes) this morning (european time), aside a post with upvotes from me which I deleted myself to double check. My own reputation did not change after deleting the post.

Remember that votes are coming and going constantly. A member can have his or her post deleted and another post upvoted or downvoted in a very short time.

I'm checking further and sadly manually removing votes doesn't get logged, so I can't verify that. I can only say that deleting a post, soft and probably even hard delete, will not remove the vote itself. That can only be done manually. If you want, PM me the names and I'll have a closer look at it to see what I can find out.
#AeroFrodo

HPD

Silly question --> How or when can you vote?

Until now I do not know how to vote haha :lol:

rscsr

HPD wrote:
25 Jun 2018, 17:20
Silly question --> How or when can you vote?

Until now I do not know how to vote haha :lol:
just click on the number next to the report and quote button.
Then you can "recommend" or "not recommend" the post.

Steven
Owner

nzjrs wrote:
25 Jun 2018, 14:26
turbof1 wrote:
nzjrs wrote:

I can confirm. It's always been like that.
Usually, ratings are not deleted when removing posts.

However, there have been times when I removed a whole bunch of ratings when it was found people abused the system. In those cases, the ratings are removed, and the poster's rep is impacted as well. I've had questions about this previously, but seeing your own rep change somewhat does not mean you're doing anything wrong. It's us/me doing some corrections (usually combined with people getting their rating perissions revoked).

Those who abuse/misuse the system are personally informed.

HPD

rscsr wrote:
25 Jun 2018, 18:02
I see nothing :lol:

joshuagore

HPD wrote:
25 Jun 2018, 23:05
rscsr wrote:
http://i68.tinypic.com/20rrymg.png
I never have either, I assumed it was my lack of participation.

dans79

HPD wrote:
Voting is not enabled on all threads, it's usually only enabled on threads in the technical sub-forums.

see the upper right cornet of posts on this thread.
viewtopic.php?f=12&t=27059&start=720
197 104 103 7

turbof1

joshuagore wrote:
25 Jun 2018, 23:32
HPD wrote:
rscsr wrote:
Well, you probably can't vote just yet because you first need to get some upvotes yourself. The amount of upvotes you can give each day depends on your reputation.
#AeroFrodo

Steven
Owner

turbof1 wrote:
26 Jun 2018, 11:16
joshuagore wrote:
HPD wrote:

Well, you probably can't vote just yet because you first need to get some upvotes yourself. The amount of upvotes you can give each day depends on your reputation.
But, even when you're not (yet) entitled to hand out ratings, you're able to see ratings on posts. But of course only in the topics/forums where it is enabled (ie. not here)

HPD

dans79 wrote:
HPD wrote:
Voting is not enabled on all threads, it's usually only enabled on threads in the technical sub-forums.
Ok thank you for that information.
In any case, I have never seen the option of voting on other threads.
Maybe the requirement is to have antiquity?

turbof1

HPD wrote:
26 Jun 2018, 14:00
dans79 wrote:
HPD wrote:
Ok thank you for that information.
In any case, I have never seen the option of voting on other threads.
Maybe the requirement is to have antiquity?
Nope. You yourself are fully eligible to vote in any topic where voting is enabled. Just looking at your recent active topics, you can vote in the general honda f1 topic, the 2018 scuderia toro rosso topic and the honda PU topic. Some topics like the race we don't allow voting due the subject often being to subjective and opinion-driven, which would tempt people into using votes as an agree/disagree button (votes have to indicate a post is objectively good).
#AeroFrodo