VWs Pikes Peaks EV

Breaking news, useful data or technical highlights or vehicles that are not meant to race. You can post commercial vehicle news or developments here.
Please post topics on racing variants in "other racing categories".
Andres125sx

Re: VWs Pikes Peaks EV

About the apples to oranges.... or unhatched chicken are being counted coments...

I seriously doubt Peugeot did any compromise for their car, they did the car they thought was the best for PP. Heck they even put into the car the best driver available, someone who is considered by some the best four wheel driver ever, so they obviously did the best they were able to do

Same for VW, except they put into the car a WEC driver who, IMHO, is light years from Loeb category, specially for PP as that´s very very, extremelly different to WEC. Even so he demolished Loeb time. To me this is self explanatory

roon

Loeb would have more experience with low-downforce cars on low-grip surfaces. Dumas would have more experience with high-downforce cars on tarmac. Considering the type of cars used, and the now-paved rally course which is Pikes Peak, they're both a little out of their element. A high downforce car on asphalt may actually be more Dumas' domain, despite the course length and layout being geared more towards Loeb's skillset.

Now when will an unrestricted current-era F1 car and driver show up there...

ePhil

The e-Drives for the VW have been provided by a Milton Keynes based company, Integral Powertrain Ltd.

https://integralp.com/communication/201 ... l-e-drive/

schwepes

Andres125sx wrote:
26 Jun 2018, 09:18
I seriously doubt Peugeot did any compromise for their car, they did the car they thought was the best for PP. Heck they even put into the car the best driver available, someone who is considered by some the best four wheel driver ever, so they obviously did the best they were able to do
They did a compromise. Maybe the car is not "production based" as in rules for e.g. Time Attack class, but for sure it is "production based looking car".

For sure it was for marketing purpose but the drawback is that aerodynamically it was not optimal. VW made "WEC style bolide" from scratch. It is not similar to any smoking VW diesel ;). It was design just to beat the record at PP.

Thunder18

Yes, imo, it was purely a marketing thing as to get their name out of the mud in US. The fact that electrically, there's no power losses due to thinning air as would happen with an ICE, it makes this an easy target and probably even easier to beat by a lighter/higher tuned EV.

Andres125sx

So they built the fastest car in PP ever, just for marketing purposes.... ok, then now I love marketing! :mrgreen:

It was the same for Peugeot, marketing

Reading the posts above it looks easy to build an EV to beat PP record, so I guess you think EV are way way faster than ICEs. Good to know, people usually think the opposite

roon

Cold Fussion

It may be comparatively easy to take it with an EV compared to pretty much any other event, but I imagine a full factory effort on a petrol car (like that '919') would be able to beat it pretty easily. The 200-300kg weight penalty will be hard to combat against.

roon

No wheel vents for the run. Open megaphone on the front.

senja

Ok

Volkswagen I.D. R
Power: 670 hp; Weight: 1100 kg

eO PP100
Power: 1600 hp; Weight: 1200 kg

Peugeot 208 T16
Power: 875 hp; Weight: 875 kg

And it's not true that this VW was most extreme of Pikes Peak. If you see the pictures of other Pikes Peak cars, you will see that is pretty normal to have such big wings.

Thunder18

Andres125sx wrote:
26 Jun 2018, 17:35
So they built the fastest car in PP ever, just for marketing purposes.... ok, then now I love marketing! :mrgreen:

It was the same for Peugeot, marketing

Reading the posts above it looks easy to build an EV to beat PP record, so I guess you think EV are way way faster than ICEs. Good to know, people usually think the opposite
Well, didn't an EV go out and smash the Nurburgring record, fast cars or not, they are for headlines which means marketing? Most motorsports is marketing based now.

Maritimer

Any footage of the run yet? All I've been able to find is VW promo stuff

Andres125sx

Maritimer wrote:
27 Jun 2018, 17:15

Big Tea

Andres125sx wrote:
27 Jun 2018, 19:50
Maritimer wrote:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xL2g9E_X_Lc
(I loved the 50's style rewinding tracks on the start footage :D (that was my job after school until I was old enough to leave))

The thing that was missing was the sound. Not helped by an inappropriate sound track either.
I don't know what producers have against a motor and drive working well even if it is not a V8
They should be feeding us in slowly, 'cos thats all we will have soon.

Still quite an achievement though and I wonder what is next on the 'bucket list?'

On a personal note, I don't know if I was glad or disappointed to see almost perfect tarmac all the way up.
It sort of pigeonholes it into one category now.

Would love to go there, but I am probably too late for the 'real thing'
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

Maritimer

Andres125sx wrote:
27 Jun 2018, 19:50
Maritimer wrote:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xL2g9E_X_Lc
Again, that's a promo video. I want to watch all 8 minutes of the drive lol