2021 Engine thread

All that has to do with the power train, gearbox, clutch, fuels and lubricants, etc. Generally the mechanical side of Formula One.
toraabe

Re: 2021 Engine thread

NL_Fer wrote:
26 Jun 2018, 17:42
If they want to extend the engine revs to 18000, they should increase peak fuel to 16000-18000 too.

And with a future of full electric vehicles, development of combustion will slow down anyway.
Will never happen with the current bore stroke regulation. Read piston speed

wuzak

Singabule wrote:
27 Jun 2018, 12:29
mclaren111 wrote:
27 Jun 2018, 11:57
Totally agree. 6 gears
But allow final gear ratio to be changed every GP
6 gears would be good for today's engines - they have such a wide power band.

Should be ok for 2021 too, and may allow the teams to showcase their anti-lag systems (may even see some flames out back!).

I wouldn't have a new final drive for each GP. But they could choose from 3 or 4 sets.

In V8Supercars they have a standard gearbox (F1 will probably be moving to a standard gearbox too) and a standard diff with a number of final drive ratios - each race the final drive ratio to be used is specified, so all use the same. I wouldn't like the final drive to be mandated, even though the teams will likely choose the same one at any given race.

I think that the way the gearboxes are used should be changed as well. Rather than requiring X number of races in a row, they should allow the teams to use Y number of gearboxes per season, like engines, so they can be rotated as required.

J.A.W.

wuzak wrote:
28 Jun 2018, 03:08
Singabule wrote:
mclaren111 wrote:
27 Jun 2018, 11:57
Totally agree. 6 gears

Should be ok for 2021 too, and may allow the teams to showcase their anti-lag systems (may even see some flames out back!).

I wouldn't have a new final drive for each GP. But they could choose from 3 or 4 sets.

In V8Supercars they have a standard gearbox (F1 will probably be moving to a standard gearbox too) and a standard diff with a number of final drive ratios - each race the final drive ratio to be used is specified, so all use the same. I wouldn't like the final drive to be mandated, even though the teams will likely choose the same one at any given race

I think that the way the gearboxes are used should be changed as well. Rather than requiring X number of races in a row, they should allow the teams to use Y number of gearboxes per season, like engines, so they can be rotated as required.
Very sensible, I concur..
Jeeze, I 'trust' the FIA F1 research drones.. who scope out the posts here.. will pick up on that one - in timely fashion, W...
"Well, we knocked the bastard off!"

Ed Hilary on being 1st to top Mt Everest,
(& 1st to do a surface traverse across Antarctica,
in good Kiwi style - riding a Massey Ferguson farm
tractor - with a few extemporised mod's to hack the task).

johnny vee

J.A.W. wrote:
28 Jun 2018, 09:54
wuzak wrote:
28 Jun 2018, 03:08
Singabule wrote:

In V8Supercars they have a standard gearbox (F1 will probably be moving to a standard gearbox too) and a standard diff with a number of final drive ratios - each race the final drive ratio to be used is specified, so all use the same. I wouldn't like the final drive to be mandated, even though the teams will likely choose the same one at any given race

Very sensible, I concur..
Jeeze, I 'trust' the FIA F1 research drones.. who scope out the posts here.. will pick up on that one - in timely fashion, W...
Very nice post indeed. As you say, lets hope the FIA picks up on this.
"Because you didn't come here to make the choice, you've already made it. You're here to try to understand why you made it. I thought you'd have figured that out by now." The Oracle, Matrix Reloaded

gruntguru

Nice post but no up-votes?
je suis charlie

roon

A spec transmission where you're free to swap a couple of gears to the same ratio everyone else is using, from race to race. Cool, I like that idea. I would only add that they also be permitted to request custom paint colors for the transmission housing. Provided they choose from the Liberty Media F1 Brand Consistency color swatch library.

AJI
AJI

roon wrote:
29 Jun 2018, 02:05
A spec transmission where you're free to swap a couple of gears to the same ratio everyone else is using, from race to race. Cool, I like that idea. I would only add that they also be permitted to request custom paint colors for the transmission housing. Provided they choose from the Liberty Media F1 Brand Consistency color swatch library.
Careful, I don't think they have a great sarcasm filter roon...

gruntguru

Sarcasm? Yum. (Great post Roon)
je suis charlie

gandharva

“The engine manufacturers have made a U-turn. They do not want to do without the MGU-H in the engines from 2021 onwards and continue to negotiate with the FIA. This eliminates the entry of new manufacturers and creates a dangerous cartel.“

https://www.reddit.com/r/formula1/comme ... atened_to/

https://www.auto-motor-und-sport.de/for ... r-porsche/

johnny vee

gandharva wrote:
07 Jul 2018, 09:51
“The engine manufacturers have made a U-turn. They do not want to do without the MGU-H in the engines from 2021 onwards and continue to negotiate with the FIA. This eliminates the entry of new manufacturers and creates a dangerous cartel.“

I saw this this morning. I for one think the MGU-H must stay but that it could be made a standard part that is the same for everyone...like the Mclaren ecu...

What are your thoughts?
"Because you didn't come here to make the choice, you've already made it. You're here to try to understand why you made it. I thought you'd have figured that out by now." The Oracle, Matrix Reloaded

AJI
AJI

johnny vee wrote:
07 Jul 2018, 10:11
gandharva wrote:
07 Jul 2018, 09:51

I saw this this morning. I for one think the MGU-H must stay but that it could be made a standard part that is the same for everyone...like the Mclaren ecu...

What are your thoughts?
Hurrah! Let's keep the H, but no way to a spec product. The McLaren ECU is like a glorified Pentium. It's time to ditch that ancient POS too.

djos

I'd have liked them to replace the MGU-H with a GU-H Porsche style.
"In downforce we trust"

AJI
AJI

djos wrote:
07 Jul 2018, 11:23
Why not have both?

NL_Fer

djos wrote:

I feel the same, a (FIA Standard) GU-H would compromise between all parties.

The lean burn combustion technology, turbulent jet ignition, etc, needs the “H” to extract the energy gained from lean combustion. It is most part increasing the amount of (power) in the exhaust gasses and hardly any direct gain on crankshaft bhp.

NL_Fer

AJI wrote:
07 Jul 2018, 11:43
djos wrote:
Why not have both?

Because we want close performances, not one that is 100bhp different from the others.