2018 Scuderia Toro Rosso F1 Team - Honda

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
etusch

Re: 2018 Scuderia Toro Rosso F1 Team - Honda

I think both says same thing in a different way. If you lost downforce and start to slide your tyres life get shorter. because of this drivers prefer to chase rivals with 1 second or more gap to save tyres and keep engine cool. I was surprised how he can not manage soft compound when they did it with softer compounds. May TR car don't like that tyre.

Marti_EF3

Honestly, the contact with Vandoorne didn't look that bad to damage the floor. What a shame. Today points were possible, even with Hartley going on Ultras the last stint :(

Sayeman

Gasly's tire after race - https://i.redd.it/fjf8wgakqc711.jpg

Never Give up.

Marti_EF3

Sayeman wrote:
01 Jul 2018, 20:16

https://i.redd.it/fjf8wgakqc711.jpg
That tyre easy could have ended like Stroll tyre last week :shock:

shingles
shingles

GrayGreat wrote:
01 Jul 2018, 19:13
Gasly says his car was damaged, but Tanabe says Gasly was 'comfortably' in points before his tyres went off. Don't know who to believe. Does anyone have pics of Gasly's car showing the damage to the floor?
No reason to think anyone was lying. He WAS comfortably in the points, he was up to P8, until the tires let go. He started to give up time and then made a mistake and lost 2 spots, ended in P11.

GhostF1
GhostF1

https://www.pitpass.com/62237/Austrian- ... Toro-Rosso

Turns out Gasly was compromised by the contact from Vandoorne. Heavily damaged floor with loss of a lot of downforce, also explains his tyres letting go. Such a shame. It would of been a good scoop of points.

Zynerji

GhostF1 wrote:
01 Jul 2018, 23:07
https://www.pitpass.com/62237/Austrian- ... Toro-Rosso

Turns out Gasly was compromised by the contact from Vandoorne. Heavily damaged floor with loss of a lot of downforce, also explains his tyres letting go. Such a shame. It would of been a good scoop of points.
Why didn't Van get a penalty?

bosyber
bosyber

Probably because he took out his front wing, ended up behind everyone? But that's not really a solid reason; I guess they judged it a racing incident.

Zynerji

bosyber wrote:
01 Jul 2018, 23:51
Probably because he took out his front wing, ended up behind everyone? But that's not really a solid reason; I guess they judged it a racing incident.
They must have, because the other reasons would have meant no penalty for Vet in France..

Big Tea

Zynerji wrote:
01 Jul 2018, 23:52
bosyber wrote:
01 Jul 2018, 23:51
They must have, because the other reasons would have meant no penalty for Vet in France..
Derek Warwick was the driver steward and he tends to let racing incidents go. Probably because he is Ex world Superstox champion and see it as normal :D
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

techman
techman

i hope they leave gas long in first stint in silverstone regardless of safety or VSC. and pit him for late charge. missed opportunities today . anyway hoping for more upgrades. i hope they test the upgrades in silverstone. i dont think they work that well. i believe gas saying he did not feel any difference with the upgrade.

ispano6

Marti_EF3 wrote:
01 Jul 2018, 19:42
Honestly, the contact with Vandoorne didn't look that bad to damage the floor. What a shame. Today points were possible, even with Hartley going on Ultras the last stint :(
On the contrary, that kind of impact cripples you the entire race. It was pretty obvious to me, seeing Gasly lose 3 positions after the touch. Vandoorne's line was way shallow, real amateur and a major judgement lapse.

gasly:
"After the contact with Stoffel on lap one, the rear was suspension was bent and he also took half of the floor away so from that point I was just sliding everywhere, fighting so much with the car, so we were quite lucky to go until the end."

"I almost went off 20 times in the race, just trying to keep it on the track. For sure it would have been nice to score points, but we tried everything but it was almost more driving a rallycross car than a Formula 1. It was pretty tough."

"I know Stoffel, he’s not careless, it was probably just misjudgement or something like this. I know he didn’t do it on purpose but it certainly affected the rest of my race."

Clearly, Mclaren and Vandoorne owe Gasly an apology.

Singabule
Singabule

Marti_EF3 wrote:
01 Jul 2018, 20:24
Sayeman wrote:
01 Jul 2018, 20:16

https://i.redd.it/fjf8wgakqc711.jpg
That tyre easy could have ended like Stroll tyre last week :shock:
Gasly try to keep his time on 1.09, however in lap 55 and then 57 he locked up heavily so his time 1.11 and 1.12. Unfortunately hartley which is going 1.09 every lap since beginning lost drive. If there is no issue, STR car very gentle on tyres which is good. Looking forward for Silverstone and see whether they can achieve similar pace to renault

Big Tea

They really need that extra few tenths to give them position. They are right in the middle of the tightest bunch now and seen to get clobbered every week.
I know they are all clambering for the extra one or two positions, but I think it could make such a difference to scoring points as the car is up to it if it has chance.

On a sidetrack, do we have any comparison of Gasly v a known driver? I am still unsure if he is very good and Hartley very bad or if he is average and Hartley is terrible.
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

dren

Can these guys catch a break or what? Shame his floor was damaged and he was overusing his rears. Points were up for grabs.
Honda!