2018 Mercedes AMG Petronas Formula One Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
MtthsMlw

Re: 2018 Mercedes AMG Petronas Formula One Team

Morteza wrote:
01 Jul 2018, 17:28
restless wrote:
01 Jul 2018, 17:21
Is there explanation for Hamilton's DNF? Gearbox or engine ?
Fuel pressure loss is what I found. I don't know if it's true or not
Yes loss of fuel pressure. Confirmed by Mercedes via Twitter.

De Jokke

Wow from hero (Saturday) to zero (Sunday), what a bummer…

Can't believe that we had such a dismal performance... :cry:

2 questions:

Merc didn't test with the soft during FP, correct? As Lewis' pace was horrible on it.
And the 'softer' tyre (SS) seemed fine: so weird… I hate these damn tyres. Always inconsistent...

Secondly, even if Lewis had stayed in front, he would have lost out to the pack due to his poor SOFT tyre performance, no?

I hope we can bounce back strongly in Silverstone. They really need a 1-2 now!

ps: also not entirely ok with vettel's overtake, he nearly ran Lewis off the track it seemed...
Mercedes AMG + Hamilton => dreamteam!
If you can't beat'em, call Masi!

makecry
makecry

De Jokke wrote:
02 Jul 2018, 00:45

2 questions:

Merc didn't test with the soft during FP, correct? As Lewis' pace was horrible on it.
And the 'softer' tyre (SS) seemed fine: so weird… I hate these damn tyres. Always inconsistent...

Secondly, even if Lewis had stayed in front, he would have lost out to the pack due to his poor SOFT tyre performance, no?

ps: also not entirely ok with vettel's overtake, he nearly ran Lewis off the track it seemed...
Remember when Lewis used to do the same to Nico and everyone used to be like you need to be ruthless to be a world champion LOL.

De Jokke

makecry wrote:
02 Jul 2018, 00:57
De Jokke wrote:

2 questions:

Remember when Lewis used to do the same to Nico and everyone used to be like you need to be ruthless to be a world champion LOL.
It was hard also, but this was a step too far. If you look again, vettel was lucky that they didn't lock tyres...
Mercedes AMG + Hamilton => dreamteam!
If you can't beat'em, call Masi!

Zynerji

De Jokke wrote:
02 Jul 2018, 01:00
makecry wrote:
De Jokke wrote:

2 questions:

It was hard also, but this was a step too far. If you look again, vettel was lucky that they didn't lock tyres...
True pro-driver skill from both.

LM10
LM10

De Jokke wrote:

2 questions:

I'm not sure about that and that's what confuses me. Hamilton on the fresh SS was not faster than the Ferraris on the 40 laps old S. Did Mercedes instruct Hamilton to save tyres and engine because he was too far off anyway or was this the actual pace (which would really surprise me)?

PlatinumZealot

Fire James Vowles now. We can do without him.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

☄️ Myth of the five suns. ☄️

☀️☀️☀️☀️☀️
LxVxFxHxN

dans79

LM10 wrote:
02 Jul 2018, 01:26
I'm not sure about that and that's what confuses me. Hamilton on the fresh SS was not faster than the Ferraris on the 40 laps old S. Did Mercedes instruct Hamilton to save tyres and engine because he was too far off anyway or was this the actual pace (which would really surprise me)?
I have a feeling is was baby the car, knowing Bottas had retired with a transmission failure, and Lewis was complaining of power loss. I assume they wanted to try and limp home if they could.
197 104 103 7

roon
roon

PlatinumZealot wrote:
02 Jul 2018, 05:30
"We..." :lol: Five WDCs, five WCCs, and... one bad weekend?

Cold Fussion
Cold Fussion

roon wrote:
02 Jul 2018, 06:40
PlatinumZealot wrote:
That's true, Mercedes absolutely won the 2014,15,16 and 17 through the superior strategy of designing by far the best car and engine. Well done James Vowles on that one.

roon
roon

Cold Fussion wrote:
02 Jul 2018, 07:35
roon wrote:
02 Jul 2018, 06:40
PlatinumZealot wrote:
That's true, Mercedes absolutely won the 2014,15,16 and 17 through the superior strategy of designing by far the best car and engine. Well done James Vowles on that one.
Yeah, you're right. I'd have to say his call to introduce the slower aero bits, and the breaky engine, and the wonky gearbox, at this race, was a bad call. Wonder what his thought process was.

Cold Fussion
Cold Fussion

I don't think he should be fired but it is disingenuous to say James Vowels must be a good strategist because Mercedes won all those championships, when their car was one of if not the most dominate cars in history.

Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

At least the strategist was man enough to say on the radio "I messed up, I lost the race". Don't hear that in other teams.
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

Vasconia

Zynerji wrote:
02 Jul 2018, 01:18
De Jokke wrote:
02 Jul 2018, 01:00
makecry wrote:

True pro-driver skill from both.
Exactly, this is something(great) that we can see when two awesome drivers fight. Just put other drivers ,I won´t give names, and the result would have been completely different. It was a great overtake. Both know where the limits are and feel comfortable even fighting so hardly. This is true F1.

Due to the lack of competence between 14 and 16 Mercedes seems to fail more than others, yesterday it was a bad day but the virtual SC didn´t last too much time so it was difficult do decide which alternative was the best one. For Ferrari and RB was the only chance to make something different.

roon
roon

Cold Fussion wrote:
02 Jul 2018, 07:55
I don't think he should be fired but it is disingenuous to say James Vowels must be a good strategist because Mercedes won all those championships, when their car was one of if not the most dominate cars in history.
True, it's a false correlation. Now let's get back to the topic of how he caused the fuel system and hydraulic failures on both cars.

In seriousness, why would they keep on a non-'good' strategist?