2018 British Grand Prix, Silverstone, July 6-8

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
Sieper

Re: 2018 British Grand Prix, Silverstone, July 6-8

I love this track, has some great corners, overtake possibilities, the best supporters (yes Lewis, thank you, stole your line) but just it seems like always a very good Mix of supporters for all I mean, but, there always has to be a but right, I think we will see an utter Hamilton domination. Point 1 he is fantastic here, point 2 they need to redeem themselves (and will), point 3 merc 2.1 and now aero update , gremlins worked out by now, point 4 thinner tires, point 5 race staff will be on their absolute a game. Nobody else can touch him here, mark my words, we will see King Hamilton next Saturday and sunday. But I root for someone else and next to that, I like the races most where there is tense battle for first (and for other places but first is what counts the most and we are not going to see that come sunday.

f1316

On paper it’s nailed on for Mercedes .

The only hope is that the rumoured Ferrari update brings something significant - they haven’t really brought anything since Canada, whereas Mercedes brought a big update last week, so they’re kinda out of sync with each other.

I’m not sure that the Ferrari wouldn’t have been on terms with Mercedes at this type of track earlier in the season - certainly in China they were stronger - but, not only is this a traditional Mercedes track, but they’ve also upped their game.

Ferrari seems to remain decent on race pace - but we haven’t got a really clear view of Vettel’s pace either of the last two weeks - but that won’t necessarily be true here as the harder compounds (I didn’t say anything about thinner! 😜) are much more suited to the Mercedes car.

iotar__

f1316 wrote:
02 Jul 2018, 19:02
On paper it’s nailed on for Mercedes .

The only hope is that the rumoured Ferrari update brings something significant - they haven’t really brought anything since Canada, whereas Mercedes brought a big update last week, so they’re kinda out of sync with each other.

I’m not sure that the Ferrari wouldn’t have been on terms with Mercedes at this type of track earlier in the season - certainly in China they were stronger - but, not only is this a traditional Mercedes track, but they’ve also upped their game.

Ferrari seems to remain decent on race pace - but we haven’t got a really clear view of Vettel’s pace either of the last two weeks - but that won’t necessarily be true here as the harder compounds (I didn’t say anything about thinner! 😜) are much more suited to the Mercedes car.
China's not comparable and Ferrari were the strongest three races ago in Canada although HS and let's say unequal engine situation contributed.

Merc are the favourites with some unknown areas regarding harder tyres especially Q on softs and weather affecting the race.

Zynerji

Are we expecting a one stop here? What "version" of the tyres are at this event?

If it's a one stop, with original "thick bulk" tyres, I think Ferrari are going to take it.

basti313

Sieper wrote:
02 Jul 2018, 17:12
Nobody else can touch him here, mark my words, we will see King Hamilton next Saturday and sunday.
There is an old King's tale about a brave blond German, who was miles ahead of the black king in the same car before his gearbox was eaten by a dragon...

:mrgreen:
Zynerji wrote:
02 Jul 2018, 19:50
Are we expecting a one stop here? What "version" of the tyres are at this event?

If it's a one stop, with original "thick bulk" tyres, I think Ferrari are going to take it.
No, it is the thin tires, as hard as possible. In France you could discuss about the term "Merc tires", but here...
The only thing, that should spice up the race is a gearbox penalty for Bottas.
Don`t russel the hamster!

MtthsMlw

basti313 wrote:
02 Jul 2018, 20:09
Sieper wrote:
Nobody else can touch him here, mark my words, we will see King Hamilton next Saturday and sunday.
There is an old King's tale about a brave blond German, who was miles ahead of the black king in the same car before his gearbox was eaten by a dragon...

Zynerji wrote:

No, it is the thin tires, as hard as possible. In France you could discuss about the term "Merc tires", but here...
No penalty for Bottas since he didn't finish the race.
And I expect a one stopper unless it's super hot again.

Zynerji

basti313 wrote:
02 Jul 2018, 20:09
Sieper wrote:

Zynerji wrote:

I won't refer it to as the "Merc tyre", but I will also state my claim that the only thing F1 that truly levels the playing field is the saying "It is the same for everyone". I greatly dislike changes made to the control items in F1 AFTER the teams all design to the same item, and then it gets changed afterwards because one team gets it wrong.

Vanja #66

Vasconia wrote:
02 Jul 2018, 14:18
Ferrari should be stronger this year because theoretically this car has a greater aero efficiency due to the longer wheelbase. But, facts have shown us until now that Mercedes seems to be clearly stronger, so the Italians need to improve the aero efficiency.
Mercedes has more powerful PU, not better aero efficiency. They weren't that strong at all on race day in Austria, they were weaker in Canada and in Monaco. I'm not counting Spain and France for obvious reasons. Mercedes were strong in Qualy in Austria because of more powerful PU than before (unlike Ferrari, which is "only" more reliable and uses less fuel) and because of track temp. Also, Seb messed his lap, so all in all kind of like China reversed.
And they call it a stall. A STALL!

#Aerogimli
#DwarvesAreNaturalSprinters
#BlessYouLaddie

marvin78

Exactly my thoughts.

oT v1

MtthsMlw wrote:
02 Jul 2018, 20:13

Wasn’t that the old rule? I thought that changed in recent years
The Power of Dreams

dfegan358

Definitely expect a very strong Mercedes in qualifying. Will be interesting to see how the race pans out. Ferrari are definitely strong in the race recently and seem to manage tyres well.

Situation from circuit to circuit and with weather and tyres makes it more variable in the race.

Ferrari due for some aero update, will need to be amazing to trouble Mercedes in qualifying.

MtthsMlw

oT v1 wrote:
02 Jul 2018, 21:29
MtthsMlw wrote:

AFAIK you can change the gearbox without a penalty if you didn't finish the last race.

Big Tea

MtthsMlw wrote:
02 Jul 2018, 21:41
oT v1 wrote:
02 Jul 2018, 21:29
MtthsMlw wrote:

AFAIK you can change the gearbox without a penalty if you didn't finish the last race.
As long as it is not out of your 'seasons allowance'
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

matt_b

Just to clear this gearbox situation up, Bottas can change his gearbox penalty free, Lewis can also take a new gearbox without penalty if the team decides same for Vandoorne, Hartley, Ricciardo and Hülkenberg.

godlameroso

falonso81 wrote:
02 Jul 2018, 15:54
Boring 1-2 for Merc. Moving on to next race...
The race wasn't that bad last year, and there is an extra DRS zone this year, but yeah with the Mercedes control tires they'll just romp everyone. Pole in the 25's. Also it's hard to predict but weather is supposed to be actually decent this weekend, but it's England, so you know how accurate that is.
Saishū kōnā