2018 Mercedes AMG Petronas Formula One Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
F1Krof

Re: 2018 Mercedes AMG Petronas Formula One Team

I think the idea of PIT WALL was good, indeed it was very good and that is something they shouldn't have given away freely to public. I believe they had an advantage regarding the strategy, they barely made any mistakes while Ferrari prior to 2017 was horrendous, Red Bull a bit better. I know you're gonna say they had a good car nobody could catch them, which is true, but at the same time they were very precise on their strategies, they've won races they shouldn't have won just on strategy. In fact they were so good that they felt they'd open about how they make their pitstop decisions while everybody else was cryptic and kept silent.

They got really cocky and now they've even through the strategy advantage away I believe. You just can't afford to give secrets away in this sport. On the other hand I understand them, they were under so much pressure because they were dominating, they wanted to win the public's appeal by giving away and being more transparent... and that's where they've dropped the ball. They should be ruthless and don't care about the "Sport", because non of them care. All of teams want to WIN and Dominate. If they were any better than Mercedes Team then how come every car up until 4th place was lapped in Austria? They simply don't care, nobody does, and nor should Mercedes. Be ruthless.
Wroom wroom

Sierra117

I thought along similar lines but I think talking about the race is fine. They don't necessarily give away too much info. Who knows what else they're hiding. But this always happens when you open up. This should only help the strategists get better. It's not as if team personnel don't talk amongst each other on the track anyway.
NIKI LAUDANZ SolidarityCubolligraphy | Instagram | Facebook
#Aerogorn & #Flowramir

Phil

zokipirlo wrote:
03 Jul 2018, 09:50
It showed how much better race pace had Ferrari over rest of the field. If Kimi wouldn't make mistakes he would have easily won.
He was already complaining about losing power then and he also overheated the soft tires at that point, attacking Kimi and having Vettel come closer from behind. At least on the first stint, Hamilton was easily the quickest car outthere and the blistering was only limited to the Soft-tire, because of the lower degradation and the surface overheating.
Not for nothing, Rosberg's Championship is the only thing that lends credibility to Hamilton's recent success. Otherwise, he'd just be the guy who's had the best car. — bhall II
#Team44 supporter

TheFluffy
TheFluffy

Full transcript of Lewis's radio during Austrian GP

Hamilton: “Anything I should be aware of?”
Bonnington: “Nothing at the moment. Let’s just target Verstappen’s lap times.”
Bonnington: “VSC, Keep the delta positive.”

Bonnington: “OK Lewis it will be box at the end of this lap if we are still under VSC conditions.”
Hamilton: “Were we supposed to box that lap?”
Bonnington: “Negative, we weren’t. We were just waiting to see what everyone else did.”
Bonnington: “So VSC ending.”
Bonnington: “So staying out.”

Hamilton: “What the hell was that? How did we miss that? I’ve got no tyre left.”

Hamilton: “I’ve got no tyre left, these tyres.”
Vowles: “Lewis, It’s James. I understand. We’re still with you mate. It’s my mistake. But give us what you can. There will be opportunities later.”
Hamilton: “I can hear you guys.”

Hamilton: “Am I fourth now?”
Bonnington: “Affirm Lewis, yeah. Entirely on us that problem.”

Hamilton: “I wanted to say something but…”

Hamilton: “Just leave me to it, Bono.”

Bonnington: “OK Lewis go HPP 5 position 2.”
Hamilton: “Hesitation out of turn nine.”
Bonnington: “Copy.”

Hamilton: “I need this pack to f***ing charge up.”

Bonnington: “OK Lewis we are up at the rear limit on tyre temps.”
Bonnington: “We have seen signs of rear blistering on tyres ahead.”
Hamilton: “So you just want me to settle for fourth, yeah?”
Bonnington: “Affirm.”

Bonnington appears to have misheard him, and then corrects his reply:

Bonnington: “Sorry, just want to settle in place until they recover.”
Bonnington: “Looks like Ricciardo has big blistering. You should be ablke to see it from where you are.”

Hamilton: “I’m not going to be able to pass these guys. We’ve just thrown away a win.”

Hamilton: “So I back off and now look what’s happening.”
Vowles: “Lewis it’s James. I have thrown the win away today but you have the potential opportunity to get back up. Just let the tyres cool. We trust in you and believe in you. I’m sorry.”
Hamilton: “I’ve got Vettel now on my tail.”

Vettel then passes Hamilton.
Hamilton: “Well, there you go.”

Hamilton: “I’ve got blistering too.”

Hamilton: ”These tyres aren’t going to last at this pace.”

Hamilton: “My rear tyre is de-laminating more and more.”
Bonnington: “OK copy.”

Hamilton: “Is Ricciardo catching us?”
Bonnington: “Ricciardo 8.7 last lap he is hitting a bit of traffic.”
Bonnington: “Ricciardo 1.4 inside our pit window.”

Hamilton: “I don’t know what to say to you guys. These rears are not going to bloody last.”
Bonnington: “OK, we’re on it.”

Bonnington: “Lewis 12 laps to go, Vettel is 22 seconds up the road, we need to think about consolidating.”
Hamilton: “So we turn down?”
Bonnington: “Affirm, that’s my suggestion.”

Hamilton: “How many points am I going to lose?”
Bonnington: “At current pace it will be three points.”

Hamilton: “I’ve lost power.”
Bonnington: “Stop, stop.”

Big Tea

Where do you get transcripts of radio please? Are they available for all drivers?
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

johnny vee

Big Tea wrote:
03 Jul 2018, 13:07
Where do you get transcripts of radio please? Are they available for all drivers?
Thank you Fluffy for that post. Where can we get more of these?
"Because you didn't come here to make the choice, you've already made it. You're here to try to understand why you made it. I thought you'd have figured that out by now." The Oracle, Matrix Reloaded

TheFluffy
TheFluffy

johnny vee wrote:
03 Jul 2018, 14:07
Big Tea wrote:
Unfortunately it seems it is a one-off :( because I only found it in an article by "Givemesport" and the link of the article is https://www.givemesport.com/1345173-lew ... in-austria

To be honest I hope there would be more of these radio transcripts shown because it really gives another layer of insight. I also know that F1 used to release their radio transcripts but seems not anymore :(

johnny vee

Thank you
"Because you didn't come here to make the choice, you've already made it. You're here to try to understand why you made it. I thought you'd have figured that out by now." The Oracle, Matrix Reloaded

Big Tea

TheFluffy wrote:
03 Jul 2018, 16:15
johnny vee wrote:
03 Jul 2018, 14:07
Big Tea wrote:
Unfortunately it seems it is a one-off :( because I only found it in an article by "Givemesport" and the link of the article is https://www.givemesport.com/1345173-lew ... in-austria

To be honest I hope there would be more of these radio transcripts shown because it really gives another layer of insight. I also know that F1 used to release their radio transcripts but seems not anymore :(
I was going to say thats a shame, but then on consideration its probably a good thing or I would get nothing else done :D

Thanks

Big Mangalhit

Big Tea wrote:
I usually get them on F1fanatic they have for all drivers but usually takes a week or two to get published ;)

Big Tea

Big Mangalhit wrote:
03 Jul 2018, 16:22
Big Tea wrote:
I usually get them on F1fanatic they have for all drivers but usually takes a week or two to get published ;)
Thanks, I'm off to look

PlatinumZealot

roon wrote:
03 Jul 2018, 07:16

Are you sure it's not a case of only noticing someone when something goes wrong? When they're doing their job well, they're invisible.

What's a rainbow circle.
Some one said it above. The aptly named "Pit wall." Oooh. I know what you can find on the walls of a pit...
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

TheFluffy
TheFluffy

Additional radio I found on the internet. This was said after the race on the radio by Lewis.

"I don't know how many are listening in Brixworth and Brackley, but I cannot remember when I last had a DNF. This team has had the best reliability over the last years, this team has had by far the best car and is by far the best team I have driven for. We need to recover from this but I am in no doubt that we'll come back strong."

outsid3r

Big Tea wrote:
03 Jul 2018, 16:25
Big Mangalhit wrote:
03 Jul 2018, 16:22
Big Tea wrote:
Thanks, I'm off to look
They are not making them public any more this season, ve'been waiting for them since the beginning of the year :( Last one posted is Abu Dhabi 2017

Sierra117

Win or not, I'd join in a heartbeat given the chance. Great environment.

Question for the pros: How is the hydraulics failure from the steering wheel affecting the rest of the power unit? I understand the power unit is your ... power unit ... but wouldn't one try to cater to possibilities? Not sure if this is a good example, but the way you have valves in the heart and veins to stop blood from rushing back. A contingency to avoid failures from going back to the engine. The way you have fuse boxes to cut out a portion that's failed so the rest of the system's integrity is intact.
NIKI LAUDANZ SolidarityCubolligraphy | Instagram | Facebook
#Aerogorn & #Flowramir