2018 British Grand Prix, Silverstone, July 6-8

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
GrayGreat

Re: 2018 British Grand Prix, Silverstone, July 6-8

dans79 wrote:
03 Jul 2018, 17:02
Nuvolari wrote:
03 Jul 2018, 16:25
Silverstone is a very different prospect. I think many will be surprised with Ferrari's pace here.
Maybe by how bad it might be!
http://www.grandprix.com/news/ferrari-c ... stone.html
"On paper, Silverstone looks quite difficult for us. Aerodynamics are very important and it will be a difficult race for us, so we have to stay focused," Arrivabene told Sky Italia.
I Can't remember Arrivabene ever making a statement like this prior to the weekend.
So everytime Toto or Hamilton says that Ferrari is the car to beat and Ferrari has the better package, you believe them right?

dans79

GrayGreat wrote:
03 Jul 2018, 18:13
dans79 wrote:
Nuvolari wrote:
Silverstone is a very different prospect. I think many will be surprised with Ferrari's pace here.
"On paper, Silverstone looks quite difficult for us. Aerodynamics are very important and it will be a difficult race for us, so we have to stay focused," Arrivabene told Sky Italia.
I Can't remember Arrivabene ever making a statement like this prior to the weekend.
So everytime Toto or Hamilton says that Ferrari is the car to beat and Ferrari has the better package, you believe them right?
By trying to be witty, you completely missed the point! Arrivabene barely talks to the press, and when he does he usually give them noting to work with. This is something new from him.
197 104 103 7

GrayGreat

dans79 wrote:
03 Jul 2018, 18:29
GrayGreat wrote:
dans79 wrote:

By trying to be witty, you completely missed the point! Arrivabene barely talks to the press, and when he does he usually give them noting to work with. This is something new from him.
The one who barely talks must be telling the truth and not downplaying expectations, and those who talk before every race are either liars, or always downplaying expectations. Got your point.

GrayGreat

Just_a_fan wrote:
03 Jul 2018, 16:10
GrayGreat wrote:
03 Jul 2018, 14:33

Vettel overtook Hamilton, on track, if you did not notice, which brings me to your previous post, where you replied to Vanja (he said Mercedes is not more aero efficient than Ferrari), he is actually correct, because we have seen multiple times now that Mercedes cars find it more difficult to overtake, relative to other cars, even with their 'wiping the floor' capabilities (according to you).
Vettel overtook an ailing Hamilton. Hamilton had already said on the radio that he felt like the power was going. That and tyres that wouldn'#t last on the Merc. One thing we can say with some confidence is that the Ferrari was much happier and much more gentle on the tyres than the other two teams.
I would suggest that you watch the race again please. Vettel did not pass him halfway through the straight, barely at the end of the straight. After 3-4 laps, Hamilton was within DRS, in fact as much as within 4 tenths of Vettel, so power was definitely not an issue at that time. Plus Hamilton has a habit of talking bull**** whenever he's overtaken or about to be overtaken so I don't believe whatever he said on the radio.

'Tyres wouldn't last on the Merc' does not mean tyres were shot. Hamilton had fresher tyres and Vettel was in the dirty air, so tyre argument is no good either.

GPR-A duplicate2

GrayGreat wrote:
dans79 wrote:
Nuvolari wrote:
Yes.

GrayGreat

dans79 wrote:
03 Jul 2018, 19:14
GrayGreat wrote:
03 Jul 2018, 18:35
The one who barely talks must be telling the truth and not downplaying expectations, and those who talk before every race are either liars, or always downplaying expectations. Got your point.
I can see the rest of this season is going to be just lovely with some fans spewing garbage that fits their agenda!
What about your agenda? You took a jab at someone by posting that Arrivabene article just because they said that we'll be surprised by the Ferrari performance in Silverstone.

You Hamilton / Merc fans keep saying Mercedes is stronger, better, more efficient than Ferrari. If that's the case, why even bother by saying Ferrari is bad and why not just wait and enjoy the lovely season, just like you said. The fact that you even bother proves that Ferrari's improvement in performance is enough to give you some headaches, and fans some competition for the championship, couldn't ask for more.

GPR-A duplicate2

GrayGreat wrote:
03 Jul 2018, 19:31
You Hamilton / Merc fans keep saying Mercedes is stronger, better, more efficient than Ferrari.
Can you please post a link to someone's statement here?

GrayGreat

GPR-A wrote:
03 Jul 2018, 19:37
GrayGreat wrote:
You Hamilton / Merc fans keep saying Mercedes is stronger, better, more efficient than Ferrari.
On top of my head, page 3 of this thread.

dans79

GrayGreat wrote:
I suggest you work on your reading comprehension skills, because I said no such thing! I didn't say any team was better or worse than another, I posted an exact quote from a team principle, on his opinion on his teams pace.

GrayGreat wrote:
The fact that you even bother proves that Ferrari's improvement in performance is enough to give you some headaches, and fans some competition for the championship, couldn't ask for more.
LOL, now ow you are just flattering Ferrai, I have way more important things to deal with and care about that the perceived performance of Ferrari.
Last edited by dans79 on 03 Jul 2018, 19:52, edited 1 time in total.
197 104 103 7

GPR-A duplicate2

GrayGreat wrote:
03 Jul 2018, 19:42
GPR-A wrote:
GrayGreat wrote:
Can't agree with you. There are some subjective statement regarding, thin tread tyres suiting Mercedes, fast corners favoring Mercedes and Hamilton generally performing better here. Nothing that outrightly said, Mercedes is a better car than Ferrari, without any context or thrown as a sweeping statement, which you are alluding to. You can do a better job of reading the posts with attaching context to it, rather than looking at them devoid of it.

GrayGreat

GPR-A wrote:
03 Jul 2018, 19:50
GrayGreat wrote:
03 Jul 2018, 19:42
GPR-A wrote:
Can't agree with you. There are some subjective statement regarding, thin tread tyres suiting Mercedes, fast corners favoring Mercedes and Hamilton generally performing better here. Nothing that outrightly said, Mercedes is a better car than Ferrari, without any context or thrown as a sweeping statement, which you are alluding to.
I would appreciate it if you can look more closely, because I don't want to be pointing to names here. Otherwise, let's just leave it at that.

Laserguru

Nuvolari wrote:
I agree with that.
Ferrari is supposed to have the most powerfull enigne, most efficient earodynamics (Merc upgrade is merely their first version of the Ferrari style sidepod), and to my opinion demonstrated they have the best understanding of the tires too (no blistering). Remember Vettel admitted, after initially blaming the thin thread tires, that Ferrari concluded they were the better option after all. Since then they never suffered again. So only qualifying could lose their race. It is the ideal time and place to play the underdog, after all this is Hamilton and Merc territory. Perfect for playing mind games. Losing will really hurt Merc. Not so for Ferrari.
Could be a very interesting race.
Engineering thrives on communication. Jus soli defending WDC, love and merchandise McLaren, passion and inspiration Ferrari. Open wheel car racing and karting addict.

Just_a_fan

GrayGreat wrote:
03 Jul 2018, 18:37
. Plus Hamilton has a habit of talking bull**** whenever he's overtaken or about to be overtaken so I don't believe whatever he said on the radio.
He mentioned power issues a while before he was overtaken.
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

ESPImperium

Odds on the qualifying timings to be altered to avoid the clash with the Sweeden v England game in the World Cup?

I think the likelihood is quite high. Some broadcasters won't be happy, but is Liberty for the fans or not?

Vanja #66

Vasconia wrote:
03 Jul 2018, 08:35
But Barcelona and Silverstone are tracks were aero efficency is needed, and also being strong in fast corners. Mercedes is very strong in both aspects so they will be very strong in Silverstone. Let alone they will have they beloved tyres, I guess Lewis must be very happy.
I'm not saying Merc won't be strong here, it's 100% their race to loose. All I'm saying is their PU is their top card, not their chassis and/or aero.

LM10 wrote:
03 Jul 2018, 16:15
It's a bit of a mysterious thing. If we assume that Mercedes has a more powerful PU then it's quite interesting that Kimi on a 5 races old spec 1 engine was almost matching the times of Mercedes at the end of S1 and S2, but losing several tenths in the last sector (Vettel was even closer to Mercedes despite having been a tenth slower than Kimi in S1). In addition to that it also must be considered that Mercedes had a big upgrade which according to Bottas noticeably stabilized the rear and thereby must have made them more competitive in the first 2 sectors.
So the question is why Mercedes was way quicker through those fast corners in S3 and if it was for the more powerful PU the only thing which I could think of would be a setup with more downforce being allowed due to more power. But then again: Why were they constantly slower than Ferrari in S2 when we assume they had more downforce and a stabilized rear which should have given them much better traction (also spec 2.1 is told to have increased traction)? The only part where Mercedes was significantly faster and where they got the first row was S3.

Let's see how it's gonna be in Silverstone. I think Qualifying will be pretty one-sided, but I hope the race is gonna be exciting.
More downforce and more drag combined with a bit more power from PU makes you faster in S3. S2 for Ferrari is down to aero efficiency, better acceleration due to less drag.

Also, Merc looked like it didn't roll at all in corners 9 and 10, which is what they are working on for a number of years. Other then all this, they were able to extract maximum from tyres in Qualy, their pace in the race was not that better then competition in the first stint (primarily Max, Kimi kept steadily loosing a few tenths every lap, and the same for Dani Ric and Vettel because of Kimi in front of them). Needless to discuss second stint.

That's just my view, let's turn towards the Cradle of F1. :)
And they call it a stall. A STALL!

#Aerogimli
#DwarvesAreNaturalSprinters
#BlessYouLaddie