2018 British Grand Prix, Silverstone, July 6-8

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
MuseF1

Re: 2018 British Grand Prix, Silverstone, July 6-8

That is indeed a wild guess, Vettel was definitely within range on DRS detection. Judging by his wheel lights it seems it was activated, so I wonder if he had a slight lift before moving to attack Hamilton that deactivated DRS. https://streamable.com/5n4tl

On another off topic note, I don't see Vettel activate his DRS with a button on the steering wheel face. This has probably already been solved here, but it seems that this mysterious 3rd paddle is is the DRS activation for Vettel?

LM10

Vanja #66 wrote:
03 Jul 2018, 23:37
LM10 wrote:
03 Jul 2018, 16:15
It's a bit of a mysterious thing. If we assume that Mercedes has a more powerful PU then it's quite interesting that Kimi on a 5 races old spec 1 engine was almost matching the times of Mercedes at the end of S1 and S2, but losing several tenths in the last sector (Vettel was even closer to Mercedes despite having been a tenth slower than Kimi in S1). In addition to that it also must be considered that Mercedes had a big upgrade which according to Bottas noticeably stabilized the rear and thereby must have made them more competitive in the first 2 sectors.
So the question is why Mercedes was way quicker through those fast corners in S3 and if it was for the more powerful PU the only thing which I could think of would be a setup with more downforce being allowed due to more power. But then again: Why were they constantly slower than Ferrari in S2 when we assume they had more downforce and a stabilized rear which should have given them much better traction (also spec 2.1 is told to have increased traction)? The only part where Mercedes was significantly faster and where they got the first row was S3.

Let's see how it's gonna be in Silverstone. I think Qualifying will be pretty one-sided, but I hope the race is gonna be exciting.
More downforce and more drag combined with a bit more power from PU makes you faster in S3. S2 for Ferrari is down to aero efficiency, better acceleration due to less drag.

Also, Merc looked like it didn't roll at all in corners 9 and 10, which is what they are working on for a number of years. Other then all this, they were able to extract maximum from tyres in Qualy, their pace in the race was not that better then competition in the first stint (primarily Max, Kimi kept steadily loosing a few tenths every lap, and the same for Dani Ric and Vettel because of Kimi in front of them). Needless to discuss second stint.

That's just my view, let's turn towards the Cradle of F1. :)
I see, thank you for the answer. :)

Juzh

MuseF1 wrote:
05 Jul 2018, 11:46
That is indeed a wild guess, Vettel was definitely within range on DRS detection. Judging by his wheel lights it seems it was activated, so I wonder if he had a slight lift before moving to attack Hamilton that deactivated DRS. https://streamable.com/5n4tl

On another off topic note, I don't see Vettel activate his DRS with a button on the steering wheel face. This has probably already been solved here, but it seems that this mysterious 3rd paddle is is the DRS activation for Vettel?
DRS activation lights are clearly seen on this clip. one light -> drs available in the next drs zone, 2 lights -> drs can be actiavted, 1 light again -> drs active. Same thing repeats after T1.

It looks like what really did hamilton in wasn't ricciardo, but him mucking up T1.

probenprinz

Juzh wrote:
05 Jul 2018, 13:38
MuseF1 wrote:

DRS activation lights are clearly seen on this clip. one light -> drs available in the next drs zone, 2 lights -> drs can be actiavted, 1 light again -> drs active. Same thing repeats after T1.

It looks like what really did hamilton in wasn't ricciardo, but him mucking up T1.
seems correct about the DRS, so another wild guess he has to lift in some instance and close the drs (from the frontal view it's evident that DRS is close in the little left before turn 3, way before the DRS end zone)

giantfan10

Juzh wrote:
MuseF1 wrote:

good catch... guess nobody else noticed that Hamilton's undoing was his exit from turn 1 when the rear of his car looked like the tail of a happy dog.
later in the race Hamilon was trailing vettel who also got"blocked" at pit entry allowing Hamilton to close up on his rear.This did not result in a pass by Hamilton who at this point was on fresher tires.

Juzh

probenprinz wrote:
05 Jul 2018, 14:37
Juzh wrote:
MuseF1 wrote:

seems correct about the DRS, so another wild guess he has to lift in some instance and close the drs (from the frontal view it's evident that DRS is close in the little left before turn 3, way before the DRS end zone)
He probably momentarily touches the brake just before the overtake because he's getting close to the grass.

siskue2005

https://streamable.com/5n4tl

this link is not working]
EDIT: NOW WORKING
Last edited by siskue2005 on 05 Jul 2018, 18:05, edited 1 time in total.

gg_ss

Is this Silverstone race thread, or Austria-Bickering-Plus-Silverstone race thread?

Brenton

Just_a_fan wrote:
03 Jul 2018, 16:10
GrayGreat wrote:
03 Jul 2018, 14:33

Vettel overtook Hamilton, on track, if you did not notice, which brings me to your previous post, where you replied to Vanja (he said Mercedes is not more aero efficient than Ferrari), he is actually correct, because we have seen multiple times now that Mercedes cars find it more difficult to overtake, relative to other cars, even with their 'wiping the floor' capabilities (according to you).
Vettel overtook an ailing Hamilton. Hamilton had already said on the radio that he felt like the power was going. That and tyres that wouldn'#t last on the Merc. One thing we can say with some confidence is that the Ferrari was much happier and much more gentle on the tyres than the other two teams.
He said the power was going then immediately set fastest first sector. He does that on a regular basis... Maybe it's to confuse the opposition... Complains about the car while setting fastest lap. Though I don't know if the timing of event may have been different than the TV feed suggested.

Sierra117

Brenton wrote:
05 Jul 2018, 19:55
Just_a_fan wrote:
GrayGreat wrote:

Vettel overtook Hamilton, on track, if you did not notice, which brings me to your previous post, where you replied to Vanja (he said Mercedes is not more aero efficient than Ferrari), he is actually correct, because we have seen multiple times now that Mercedes cars find it more difficult to overtake, relative to other cars, even with their 'wiping the floor' capabilities (according to you).
Vettel overtook an ailing Hamilton. Hamilton had already said on the radio that he felt like the power was going. That and tyres that wouldn'#t last on the Merc. One thing we can say with some confidence is that the Ferrari was much happier and much more gentle on the tyres than the other two teams.
He said the power was going then immediately set fastest first sector. He does that on a regular basis... Maybe it's to confuse the opposition... Complains about the car while setting fastest lap. Though I don't know if the timing of event may have been different than the TV feed suggested.
- The comms feed is never immediate. It's always delayed by a significant amount.
- I doubt the rest of the paddock has this same delay, since they can tap into the -all- channel and listen whenever they wish. I could be wrong but I doubt they rely on the live TV broadcast to hear others' radio chatter and this is supported by you hearing other teams inform drivers about other drivers while nothing from the live broadcast was there to tell the viewer something was going on.
- Power dropping doesn't mean it's always gone, or it won't come back. With the power drop, it's likely when it returns, there is a sudden jolt of more energy, which means if he's on the straight, he'll probably get more out. It'll be very intermittent; dropping and coming back very quickly and 'randomly'.
- I doubt with the stress of losing out from strategy, he was in any mood to spare thoughts of confusing other teams. I'm sure all of us were in similar situations where we lost something we should have won. It's pretty agonising and all you want to do is fix your own situation rather than play mind games with others :wink:
--------
Now let's all try to move on from Austria :)
NIKI LAUDANZ SolidarityCubolligraphy | Instagram | Facebook
#Aerogorn & #Flowramir

Vanja #66

DRS open for T1-2 is going to help top teams in Q3. But who will make the most of it I wonder, more powerful Q3 mode or better aero efficiency (to put more rear wing anyway)...
And they call it a stall. A STALL!

#Aerogimli
#DwarvesAreNaturalSprinters
#BlessYouLaddie

Restomaniac

I’m British and I’m finding I’m struggling to get up for this. 3 weekends in a row is one hell of a slog.

When you you work Mon-Fri and you use your weekends for family stuff. Having 3 weekends of FP1/FP2/FP3/Pre Qualy/Qualy/Post Qualy/Pre race/Race/Post race is hard to justify and keep motivated for. I have no idea how the teams/drivers themselves are managing it.

godlameroso

The staff definitely feels it, 3 weeks in a row is damn tough.
Saishū kōnā

Godius

2011 pole lap from Webber. IIRC the off-throttle blown diffuser concept was banned for this GP. He took turn 1 and 2 full-throttle with DRS open but had to a bit of countersteering.

Just_a_fan

Brenton wrote:
05 Jul 2018, 19:55
Just_a_fan wrote:
GrayGreat wrote:

He said the power was going then immediately set fastest first sector.
You are aware that the driver comms feeed is delayed? You're not? Oh, that'll explain you post then... #-o
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.