[MVRC] Mantium Virtual Racecar Challenge 2017

Post here information about your own engineering projects, including but not limited to building your own car or designing a virtual car through CAD.
LVDH

Re: [MVRC] Mantium Virtual Racecar Challenge 2017

Hi guys,
my goal was to get you going a bit back but I was not able to fix the last minor issues before my vacation. I am on it now and as it is pretty much done, expect to get going again this Sunday!

etsmc

That's some great news... my car is still shockingly bad but will be fun to compete again.

machin

We should start a 2018 thread!
COMPETITION CAR ENGINEERING -Home of VIRTUAL STOPWATCH

LVDH

Yes, just wait a little bit with the 2018 thread.

I have one announcement that I previously probably missed. To sign up for 2018 you will have to submit a rendered image of your car for the team presentation! It is highly appreciated to use sponsor logos as it helps finding new sponsors. I am once more close to securing us an HPC sponsor. This will not only be great as such but will help improve realism in the future. To be able to make it a requirement to also send the render, I will have to delete all of your accounts on the Challenge page. Probably Sunday I will send out an email with a link to the new registration form.

By the way, what do you guys think about awarding an additional championship point after every race if the teams write a nice article containing CFD images of the car? We could also do the same for writing tutorials on how to design the cars. I am asking because one of the reasons restarting the championship is taking so long is because I am very ambitious about what we need and cannot get everything done myself. This might help to motivate you guys to create this content our fans and sponsors will love.

Alonso Fan

It's all starting up again now...

Thankfully now I have finished my exams and am pretty much free to spend time on the challenge. But recently I've become hooked on cities skylines, the building aspect rather than the management aspect. Also I've started other cad projects and modding for Assetto corsa again which is taking up time.

So basically I don't have a car ready at all yet :mrgreen:

If the rules are largely the same I'll just use the good version of last year's car for the first race. I know my weakness with the other versions of my car but coming up with a systematic way of fixing or improving the issue will be hard
SHR Modding
Youtube
Twitter
Discord

Sound Developer for Reiza Studios
Sound Modder for Assetto Corsa

CAEdevice

I am back from a short vacation too, but not together with LDVH.

It is ok to give a point for articles or other technical production (including images), but how would it be assigned? To the best article (how choosen?), to each article? Considering that it is a competition it is an important point.

Welcome to the HPC sponsor, improving realism is definetly the best perspective.

I can't wait for the new rulebook and templates. What about the idea of a constructors challenge? This would promote the release of customers cars.

As most of the partecipants I don't have a car ready (not very motivated in guessing about the new rules), but during this long winter I worked on the CAD model of the 2017 car, that is now completely parametric (including the diffuser that is now a 3D parametric surface and not only a 2D extrusion, despite the shape is identical to the latest 2017 version).

schwepes

I'm out for holidays for the second half of June. Hopefully I will have time to analyze new rulebook and think about new car for 2018 ;).

machin

Slightly off topic, but it appears that one of our former competitors/staff members Nicky (aka N15CK) is now an aerodynamics engineer with Force India...

https://mobile.twitter.com/N15ck

👍💪💪💪🏎🏁

CAEdevice

I was only a spectator in those days, but I remember him. I hope Force India is treating him well.

Congratulations to N15CK (N12CK?)!

machin

Probably... I just saw a post from him on Twitter (I don't go on Twitter very often...).

CAEdevice

I think I have found him on LinkedIn too

CAEdevice

Hi, I have just received the email for the registration. Thanks!

I have some doubts:

1) HX: still only Y rotation? It looks odd: it is very simple to tweak the option file and set an arbitray direction (that could be automatically computed by almost any CAD)
2) Required rendering for the registration: would it be ok a picture of 2017 car with the official livery of the 2018 car? I don't have a 2018 car ready now...
3) Calendar: the first three races are on "efficiency" tracks, the last two seems to be on "extreme df" tracks. Why has the order been changed?
4) Calendar: cars will be completely redesigned with the new rules (the possibility to set a rake angle changes everything), I fear that less than a month will not be enough to develop the cars (I don't think I will have a customer's car ready for the first race)
Last edited by CAEdevice on 08 Jul 2018, 19:58, edited 2 times in total.

schwepes

Questions regarding rake.
1. Car should fulfill rules at 0deg and then it's rotated?
2. What about suspension templates? Are they rotated with bodywork?
3. What is rotation axis? (Edit: found, around Y-axis)

Unfortunately I would not be able to prepare a car for the 1st round because of the holidays. I will be trekking in Austrian Alps without my PC ;).

etsmc

just reading the new rules and looking at the template files and noticed a possible discrepancy.

Bodywork must completely enclose these provided parts:

Cockpit template
Engine template
Gearbox template
Footbox template

yet the gearbox extends past the bodywork volume by 100mm

All modeled geometry is considered as bodywork unless otherwise specified. No bodywork is allowed outside the bodywork volume unless otherwise specified.

it is not possible to cover the gearbox with bodywork.
am I reading this wrong or have I missed something?

Also, where are we rotating the car for the rake?? is it rotated from the forward most point of the car (950mm in front of the FWCL) or at the FWCL.