VWs Pikes Peaks EV

Breaking news, useful data or technical highlights or vehicles that are not meant to race. You can post commercial vehicle news or developments here.
Please post topics on racing variants in "other racing categories".
strad

Re: VWs Pikes Peaks EV

To achieve anything, you must be prepared to dabble on the boundary of disaster.”
Sir Stirling Moss

djos

Boy that was hard to watch, I think it was edited by a butcher! #-o

Thanks for posting tho, the car was very impressive to watch. =D>
"In downforce we trust"

strad

Yeah It was worse than the ones I make. :wink:
To achieve anything, you must be prepared to dabble on the boundary of disaster.”
Sir Stirling Moss

djos

strad wrote:
28 Jun 2018, 02:05
Yeah It was worse than the ones I make. :wink:
Likewise :D
"In downforce we trust"

roon

1:42
3:20
8)

Andres125sx

Maritimer wrote:
27 Jun 2018, 22:17
Andres125sx wrote:
27 Jun 2018, 19:50
Maritimer wrote:
27 Jun 2018, 17:15
Any footage of the run yet? All I've been able to find is VW promo stuff
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xL2g9E_X_Lc
Again, that's a promo video. I want to watch all 8 minutes of the drive lol
No, it´s a race day video. If you don´t want it edited that´s a different thing, but all of them are edited, at least this one is not trying to fool us like some others where they try to make us think it´s all a continuous shot when it´s not

Not sure what make you laugh tough. You can always try a search yourself instead of asking people doing that for you, and laughing when they do it...

Maritimer

Andres125sx wrote:
28 Jun 2018, 08:52
Maritimer wrote:
27 Jun 2018, 22:17
Again, that's a promo video. I want to watch all 8 minutes of the drive lol
No, it´s a race day video. If you don´t want it edited that´s a different thing, but all of them are edited, at least this one is not trying to fool us like some others where they try to make us think it´s all a continuous shot when it´s not

Not sure what make you laugh tough. You can always try a search yourself instead of asking people doing that for you, and laughing when they do it...
I did search on my own. Excuse me for thinking someone on here might have found something I overlooked. Don't take it so personally lol

bdr529

Big Tea

Thank you, I enjoyed that :D

I started out thinking I would not mind having an overlay of the instrumentation to match the onboard sound, then thought, What would it matter, only MPH is relevant.
It will take some mindset adjustment to get used to it.
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

roon

Energy lost to gear whine of little consequence for racing EVs, seemingly. Small gains compared to developing motor, control, and storage.

Tommy Cookers

the most efficient gears are likely to be noisy - and quiet gears are unlikely to be the most efficient

neither will the electric 'motors' and their drive electronics be quiet

Big Tea

Would they benefit from some sort of narrow range CVT?
I know the torque of the motor is constant, but would varying the gearing slightly help with corner exit?
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

roon

Tommy Cookers wrote:
07 Jul 2018, 10:44
the most efficient gears are likely to be noisy - and quiet gears are unlikely to be the most efficient

The sound from straight cut gears arise from features that could potentially be engineered away. Imperfections, lubrication and tolerances; at a guess. Why would optimizing those things reduce efficiency. The sound waves have to come from somewhere.

Big Tea wrote:
07 Jul 2018, 11:08
Would they benefit from some sort of narrow range CVT?
I know the torque of the motor is constant, but would varying the gearing slightly help with corner exit?
Efficiency and weight vs. gear ratio compromises. Top speed at pikes peak relatively low, and only one acceleration from very low speed. The weight of adding more gears, clutches, associated mechanisms, or CVTs. Hard to make a CVT as efficient as spur gears.

Tim.Wright

roon wrote:
07 Jul 2018, 20:12
Tommy Cookers wrote:
07 Jul 2018, 10:44

The sound from straight cut gears arise from features that could potentially be engineered away. Imperfections, lubrication and tolerances; at a guess. Why would optimizing those things reduce efficiency. The sound waves have to come from somewhere.
I think the energy lost to sound is completely negligible. Consider that sound power levels are typically measured in Milliwatts and powertrain power levels are typically measured in Kilowatts.
Not the engineer at Force India

bill shoe

If you know nothing about a system's engineering, then you can't predict the efficiency based on quietness or vice-versa. Because (as mentioned) the power lost to noise is normally a tiny fraction of overall power lost to inefficiency, so any correlation between noise and efficiency never strays far from zero. Typical examples- You can't predict wind-noise of an aero package based on drag. You can't predict a tire's tread-pattern whine based on rolling resistance.

Well, OK if you had 1000 aero-packages or 1000 different tire designs you might be able to guess the correlation with 51% accuracy, but when does that sample-size ever show up and there is value in being right 51% of the time? Never!

However, if you have some knowledge about the noise and efficiency characteristics of different design traits, then you are no longer grasping in the dark for tiny correlations. It's true (I think) that well-designed straight-cut gear teeth are generally louder and more efficient than well-designed angled teeth. This is based on mechanical logic and experience rather than correlations.

I fight correlation-type thinking about efficiency vs. noise every week as a noise engineer, and it's a difficult fight because there's a kernel of logic to it, but the real correlation always rounds to zero.