2018 British Grand Prix, Silverstone, July 6-8

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
Shrieker

Re: 2018 British Grand Prix, Silverstone, July 6-8

Man of the day: Kimi
Education is that which allows a nation free, independent, reputable life, and function as a high society; or it condemns it to captivity and poverty.
-Atatürk

Big Tea

Horner said Red bull is going to be Honda's only entry next year?
I assume he means Red Bull and STR, or am I missing something??
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

MtthsMlw

Let's talk about if Bottas could have got Vettel without the safety car. Ferrari definitely had higher tyre degradation but would it been enough for Bottas to overtake him?
Also it seems that Ferrari often gets better starts (even without being on softer tyres). Luck, driver skill or something like better energy deployment?

alexx_88
alexx_88

I think Mercedes are doing Hamilton a huge disservice by blowing air into this balloon about Kimi crashing on purpose into him. Start of the race, cold tires, tried a move, missed the apex by probably 1m after locking up. These things happen all the time and, when it's not their favorite driver, people don't care at all.

I want Hamilton to win the championship, but I want F1 to be about racing, not about everyone being afraid to make a move because they might get hit with huge penalties for any mistake. Conditions off-line are always unpredictable and locking up happens a lot.

Even so, Hamilton was 3rd before being hit. Realistically, what was his chance of overtaking Vettel on the track?

Mandrake
Mandrake

MtthsMlw wrote:
08 Jul 2018, 18:05
Let's talk about if Bottas could have got Vettel without the safety car. Ferrari definitely had higher tyre degradation but would it been enough for Bottas to overtake him?
Also it seems that Ferrari often gets better starts (even without being on softer tyres). Luck, driver skill or something like better energy deployment?
Lewis had wheelspin this time and Vettel a very very good start. (by the way, I hate the camera angle at the start, can they not use something higher up? I struggle to see who is in front and need to rely on commentary...)

On race pace Bottas might have come into DRS range, if he could have passed is a question we will never be able to answer. Vettel drove super smoothly with the mediums to extend their lifetime. Could have worked, could have failed.

matt_b
matt_b

MtthsMlw wrote:
08 Jul 2018, 18:05

If Seb struggled to get past Bottas with brand new soft tyres then no way was Bottas getting past Seb on the same tyre with 1 lap less life. For all we know Seb was fuel managing at that stage when the gap closed, there are so many variables but I think Seb would've just had it under control Bahrain style without SC.

syntaxerror147
syntaxerror147

Absolutely flawless race by Vettel today. Deserved the win!
Concerning Hamilton: What a great driver, what a great race, what a poor personality. Complaining about his car although it was ok, refusing to give an interview at first. True greatness is in defeat.
Bottas clearly the one who was sacrificed today.
Biggest loser of the day: Toto Wolff, last week he stated that merc would act the same way as Ferrari did in terms of sportsmanship. Today, well i don't have to explain anything. :roll:

Chene_Mostert

GPR-A wrote:
08 Jul 2018, 18:02
James Allison thinks Kimi's move on Hamilton was deliberate. Who knows Ferrari better than him!
Best move he made was to leave the red. :D
"Science at its best is an open-minded method of inquiry, not a belief system." - Rupert Sheldrake

stuartpengs

Great race! (at least for F1 fans). Safety cars spiced thing up in the end but ultimately from Lewis' perspective the race was lost in the first 100 yards (or certainly massively compromised). Being hit by Kimi (or anyone) is always a risk when you start to drop down the order because of a poor start. A bit unfair to suggest it was an intentional ploy by Ferrari/Kimi; firstly I don't think Kimi is that kind of person, and secondly' if your intention is to hit the car you're more likely to be rolling off the brake, not locking one up because of too much braking force. At worst I think Kimi was guilty of being a bit too overoptimistic there, but the penalty fits the crime.

What's all the horseshite on Channel 4 from DC about some incidents having a greater bearing then others? Whenever there's an incident where another driver is at fault it always impacts on the recipients championship, or the perspective team's points total. Points which, for some teams can dictate how much investment is available for the team in the following season. All incidents have consequences, it's a bit glib of DC to suggest it should be more harsh if it affects the front (though what he's alluding to is it it affects Lewis).

Great race by Seb and Ferrari. Controlled the pace and made the pass on Bottas near the end. One thing for them - beware a Lewis Hamilton who think's he's been unfairly treated.

CriXus
CriXus

Arrivabene on Allison's comments: "If he really said that, he should be ashamed. He worked for Ferrari for many years. You have to be elegant. We are in England, they want to teach us how to be a gentleman, but he should be the first [to learn]"
“The reasonable man adapts himself to the world: the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.” - George Bernard Shaw

Zynerji

stuartpengs wrote:
08 Jul 2018, 18:15
Great race! (at least for F1 fans). Safety cars spiced thing up in the end but ultimately from Lewis' perspective the race was lost in the first 100 yards (or certainly massively compromised). Being hit by Kimi (or anyone) is always a risk when you start to drop down the order because of a poor start. A bit unfair to suggest it was an intentional ploy by Ferrari/Kimi; firstly I don't think Kimi is that kind of person, and secondly' if your intention is to hit the car you're more likely to be rolling off the brake, not locking one up because of too much braking force. At worst I think Kimi was guilty of being a bit too overoptimistic there, but the penalty fits the crime.

What's all the horseshite on Channel 4 from DC about some incidents having a greater bearing then others? Whenever there's an incident where another driver is at fault it always impacts on the recipients championship, or the perspective team's points total. Points which, for some teams can dictate how much investment is available for the team in the following season. All incidents have consequences, it's a bit glib of DC to suggest it should be more harsh if it affects the front (though what he's alluding to is it it affects Lewis).

Great race by Seb and Ferrari. Controlled the pace and made the pass on Bottas near the end. One thing for them - beware a Lewis Hamilton who think's he's been unfairly treated.
The same people accusing Kimi of doing this on purpose, when going for a gap, are the same people that complained about Bottas NOT going for it against Vettel.

Rose tinted glasses for most on this thread.

turbof1

Topic lockdown. Action will be taken against anyone breaching forum policy. We will reopen after cleanup.
#AeroFrodo

turbof1

Topic has been cleaned up. Pages of posts rediculously attacking people and groups of people have been removed. Warnings have been handed out and messages have been send.

Thank you to all of the people who did the sensible thing and used the report button. It's the most serene way to deal with this kind of situation. Trying to publicly fight back against toxic behaviour usually will make things worse. A lot of comments centered around accusations of "fan blindness" and fan hatred, which honestly are concepts too quickly used by replying parties. Instead of accusing eachother of bias, try to listen to eachother and debate, instead of trying to defame eachother and bicker with one another.

Play nice people.
#AeroFrodo

Blackoutjulian
Blackoutjulian

I know the Ferrari and Mercedes fans are not on best speaking terms at the moment.
But could we all appreciate those last 11 laps ?? Ferrari vs Mercedes..2vs2 all four cars and drivers on full attack. I know my favorite team won in the end but that was so awesome to watch. I really hope we can see this more often. Was a joy to watch. Really reminded me of the old Ferrari vs Mclaren rivalry and races like Indianapolis 2000.
Great Racing by all 4 of them ! 👏

Big Tea

Seems I may have upset someone here.
If anyone takes offense please forgive me, it was unintentional, heat of the moment.

I am the first to acknowledge anyone's views are at least as relevant as my views, and the last thing I would want to do is to 'shout down' an opinion.
I do not know who the person(s) concerned are, but please dismiss any post that may be taken personally.

If I do offend please inform me as I can correct the remark
Thanks to all and to our moderators.
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.