2018 McLaren F1 Team - Renault

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
ripper
ripper

Re: 2018 McLaren F1 Team - Renault

Rosberg after Canada tweeted something like: "teams don't want Alonso for his internal politic games" or something similar. So there could be some truth about it.

Ground Effect
Ground Effect

ripper wrote:
09 Jul 2018, 09:45
Rosberg after Canada tweeted something like: "teams don't want Alonso for his internal politic games" or something similar. So there could be some truth about it.
It's more of lead drivers wouldn't want to be partnered with him. Just like Seb wouldn't want Lewis, Lewis wouldn't want Max, nobody wants Ricciardo, Mansell didn't want Prost, Prost didn't want Senna (at Williams), Senna didn't want Derick Warwick.... we could go on and on. As long as there's an established lead driver, they won't take him, and it works both ways. Lewis tried to get into Red Bull during their dominant era. Sometimes it's as simple as that. Rob Smedley, who was on the other side of the garage at Ferrari said that Fernando wasn't a disruptive influence in the team, he said this when he had moved to Williams. So unless a top team is looking for a lead driver, he won't be considered.
Q: (Stefano Mancini – La Stampa) Kimi, will you help Vettel to win his championship this year?
Kimi Raikkonen: I can only drive one car, obviously. 
@2018 Singapore Grand Prix drivers press conference.

FrukostScones

Simon Roberts to head tech. development department says this AMUS article

https://www.auto-motor-und-sport.de/for ... wn-alonso/
Finishing races is important, but racing is more important.

Ground Effect
Ground Effect

FrukostScones wrote:
09 Jul 2018, 10:24
Simon Roberts to head tech. development department says this AMUS article

https://www.auto-motor-und-sport.de/for ... wn-alonso/
It's almost amusing, same journalists who were asking Eric if he would resign, when he does, they spin a new narrative of being sacrificed. Fernando is running the team, etc.
Q: (Stefano Mancini – La Stampa) Kimi, will you help Vettel to win his championship this year?
Kimi Raikkonen: I can only drive one car, obviously. 
@2018 Singapore Grand Prix drivers press conference.

Vasconia

I don´t know if Alonso is toxic or not, though I have never liked may of his public comments. But the truth is that he saved Ferrari during their bad years(just see where Massa was) or now McLaren(just look at Vandoorme).

marvin78
marvin78

And that is the myth I don't believe. Ferrari had very good cars, in two of that seasons and Alonso did his job very well. BUT he did not "save" anyone.

ALO_Power
ALO_Power

Moving from the pointless anti-Alonso comments that he's toxic and other usual bs, I think pitting under the safety car wasn't the best choice in the end since it got proven that it was better to stay out and defend rather than get fresh rubber and attack. Alonso seemed to have lost a big amount of time behind Magnussen all race out and because all cameras were aiming the front-runners, Magnussen was heavily blocking Alonso in every overtaking move he tried. When he eventually passed, his pace was super fast. So ye, P6 was definitely on the cards.

Benii6
Benii6

ALO_Power wrote:
09 Jul 2018, 12:01
Moving from the pointless anti-Alonso comments that he's toxic and other usual bs, I think pitting under the safety car wasn't the best choice in the end since it got proven that it was better to stay out and defend rather than get fresh rubber and attack. Alonso seemed to have lost a big amount of time behind Magnussen all race out and because all cameras were aiming the front-runners, Magnussen was heavily blocking Alonso in every overtaking move he tried. When he eventually passed, his pace was super fast. So ye, P6 was definitely on the cards.
He was fast because he pitted. Fresh softs vs old mediums or even hards on Renault. If he didn't pit, he would most likely finish where he did. So no, it was the right decision. This way he actually had a chance to finish higher.
I think he made a mistake while trying to attack Ocon and it backfired with Kevin overtaking him back.

ALO_Power
ALO_Power

Benii6 wrote:
09 Jul 2018, 12:12
ALO_Power wrote:
He was fast because he pitted. Fresh softs vs old mediums or even hards on Renault. If he didn't pit, he would most likely finish where he did. So no, it was the right decision. This way he actually had a chance to finish higher.
I think he made a mistake while trying to attack Ocon and it backfired with Kevin overtaking him back.
As you saw, the race pace was similar to Renault's if not better, so Hulk could easily maintain P6 even with Hards so this proves that this was the best strategy imo.

Benii6
Benii6

ALO_Power wrote:
09 Jul 2018, 12:14
Benii6 wrote:
ALO_Power wrote:
As you saw, the race pace was similar to Renault's if not better, so Hulk could easily maintain P6 even with Hards so this proves that this was the best strategy imo.
I don't get what you're trying to say. In the first comment you said P6 was possible.

techman
techman

mclaren problem in the car is not fast corners. its slow to medium corners and straights. i believe german gp , mclaren will struggle. 2 consecutive slow corners, will not favour mclaren

ALO_Power
ALO_Power

Benii6 wrote:
09 Jul 2018, 12:32
ALO_Power wrote:
Benii6 wrote:

I don't get what you're trying to say. In the first comment you said P6 was possible.
I mean that if he stayed out he would be P7 straight away and then would be right behind Hulkenberg which had used Hards while Alonso would be with used Mediums that would still have some life to attack thanks to the 2 consecutive safety cars. So, he would only need to pass 1 car instead of passing 3 cars. As for others catching, I doubt since they didn't even catch Hulk.

GoranF1
GoranF1

RonDennis wrote:
08 Jul 2018, 20:18
GoranF1 wrote:
08 Jul 2018, 18:50
Darth-Piekus wrote:
08 Jul 2018, 17:08
It seems that this year's campaign is over. We will end in 7th place I'm afraid. We should start fixing all these problems and at the same time focus on 2019.
If they had any brain they would focus 100% on 2019
If the problems are fixed, they will. According to someone in the MCL33 topic they now know what the problem is and the first small bits will arrive in Germany.
I am searching MCL33 thread but cant find it!
Can you link me to it?
Thx.
"I have no idols. I admire work, dedication & competence."

Thunder

GoranF1 wrote:
09 Jul 2018, 12:59
I am searching MCL33 thread but cant find it!
Can you link me to it?
Thx.
Page 113, First Post.
turbof1 wrote: YOU SHALL NOT......STALLLLL!!!
#aerogollum

Benii6
Benii6

ALO_Power wrote:
09 Jul 2018, 12:53
Benii6 wrote:
09 Jul 2018, 12:32
ALO_Power wrote:

I mean that if he stayed out he would be P7 straight away and then would be right behind Hulkenberg which had used Hards while Alonso would be with used Mediums that would still have some life to attack thanks to the 2 consecutive safety cars. So, he would only need to pass 1 car instead of passing 3 cars. As for others catching, I doubt since they didn't even catch Hulk.
I don't think so. Ocon didn't pit, so Alonso would be behind him and in front of Kevin. With both of them having fresher tyres (Ocon 6 and Kevin 12 laps).

Source:
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DhmVFJwXcAIF7MV.jpg