2018 McLaren F1 Team - Renault

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
diffuser

Re: 2018 McLaren F1 Team - Renault

Thunder wrote:
09 Jul 2018, 13:02
GoranF1 wrote:
09 Jul 2018, 12:59
I am searching MCL33 thread but cant find it!
Can you link me to it?
Thx.
Page 113, First Post.
I'm skeptical...

dr_cooke

diffuser wrote:
09 Jul 2018, 13:42
Thunder wrote:
09 Jul 2018, 13:02
GoranF1 wrote:
Can you link me to it?
Thx.
Page 113, First Post.
I'm skeptical...
I only see 101 pages in that thread... obviously solution will come from the future!

Thunder

That goes to show how much we have to deal with in the Mod Team. ;) We're at Page 114 already. ^^

That's the Quote. Should be on the last or second to last Page.
PhillipM wrote:
08 Jul 2018, 18:24
Was talking to some lads who were in the paddock today, and it sounds like they know where some of the problem is now, but they don't sound confident of having parts out in time to fix it at Hockenheim, just a few smaller bits and setup changes.
They also said (contrary to what Renault did...so I don't know who to believe) that the new MGU-K does have an advantage in the new qualy mode over the one they're running.

Maybe that's just an small inertia thing rather than horsepower if it's lighter :?:
turbof1 wrote: YOU SHALL NOT......STALLLLL!!!
#aerogollum

RonDennis

GoranF1 wrote:
RonDennis wrote:
08 Jul 2018, 20:18
GoranF1 wrote:
08 Jul 2018, 18:50

If they had any brain they would focus 100% on 2019
If the problems are fixed, they will. According to someone in the MCL33 topic they now know what the problem is and the first small bits will arrive in Germany.
Can you link me to it?
Thx.
PhillipM wrote:
08 Jul 2018, 18:24
Was talking to some lads who were in the paddock today, and it sounds like they know where some of the problem is now, but they don't sound confident of having parts out in time to fix it at Hockenheim, just a few smaller bits and setup changes.
They also said (contrary to what Renault did...so I don't know who to believe) that the new MGU-K does have an advantage in the new qualy mode over the one they're running.

Maybe that's just an small inertia thing rather than horsepower if it's lighter :?:

mclaren111

Ground Effect wrote:
09 Jul 2018, 10:50
FrukostScones wrote:
09 Jul 2018, 10:24
Simon Roberts to head tech. development department says this AMUS article

https://www.auto-motor-und-sport.de/for ... wn-alonso/
It's almost amusing, same journalists who were asking Eric if he would resign, when he does, they spin a new narrative of being sacrificed. Fernando is running the team, etc.

AMUS also claims that Matt Morris is no longer Chief Engineer. Has this been confirmed by McLaren ??

KingHamilton01

mclaren111 wrote:
09 Jul 2018, 15:46
Ground Effect wrote:
FrukostScones wrote:
09 Jul 2018, 10:24
Simon Roberts to head tech. development department says this AMUS article

https://www.auto-motor-und-sport.de/for ... wn-alonso/
It's almost amusing, same journalists who were asking Eric if he would resign, when he does, they spin a new narrative of being sacrificed. Fernando is running the team, etc.

AMUS also claims that Matt Morris is no longer Chief Engineer. Has this been confirmed by McLaren ??
I would suggest this makes sense as he has been part of the process when the previous season's car's have been built, they also mentioned at time when Boullier resigned they said that this wouldn't be the only change. McLaren need to cough up some money to get a new designer/s now. Then I am not sure what else McLaren plan to do while restructuring the team, but clear that team know's that a fresh approach is needed and people within the team need re-motivating.

Zak Brown still got a lot to do, interesting they mentioned on sky sports F1 build up to race show that previously that communication between departments seemed to be an issue and that McLaren don't react quick enough.

Anyway would be interesting to hear your opinions on where you think McLaren should recruit.
McLaren Mercedes

RonDennis

KingHamilton01 wrote:
09 Jul 2018, 16:09
mclaren111 wrote:
Ground Effect wrote:

I would suggest this makes sense as he has been part of the process when the previous season's car's have been built, they also mentioned at time when Boullier resigned they said that this wouldn't be the only change. McLaren need to cough up some money to get a new designer/s now. Then I am not sure what else McLaren plan to do while restructuring the team, but clear that team know's that a fresh approach is needed and people within the team need re-motivating.

Zak Brown still got a lot to do, interesting they mentioned on sky sports F1 build up to race show that previously that communication between departments seemed to be an issue and that McLaren don't react quick enough.

Anyway would be interesting to hear your opinions on where you think McLaren should recruit.
You need a strong technical leader, like Mattia Binotto, James Allison, Adrian Newey, but finding one is harder than it sounds. It's clear that the technical department is missing leadership. I'm sure the staff is highly talented, but not everyone is a leader. McLaren probably doesn't even know who was responsible for the sh!t stain they created, because that's what it is. The problem is that it's hard to understand what works and what don't. If you put people in place you also have to give them some time. It is possible, just look at Ferrari. McLaren might not have the same budget as Ferrari or Mercedes, but they certainly shouldn't be fighting Toro Rosso, Sauber, Haas and Force India at every race.

KingHamilton01

RonDennis wrote:
09 Jul 2018, 16:33
KingHamilton01 wrote:
mclaren111 wrote:

You need a strong technical leader, like Mattia Binotto, James Allison, Adrian Newey, but finding one is harder than it sounds. It's clear that the technical department is missing leadership. I'm sure the staff is highly talented, but not everyone is a leader. McLaren probably doesn't even know who was responsible for the sh!t stain they created, because that's what it is. The problem is that it's hard to understand what works and what don't. If you put people in place you also have to give them some time. It is possible, just look at Ferrari. McLaren might not have the same budget as Ferrari or Mercedes, but they certainly shouldn't be fighting Toro Rosso, Sauber, Haas and Force India at every race.
I agree with what you have said, this is why I think we need to look at talent outside the top team's, someone up and coming, I am sure McLaren realise this especially now they have moved promodrou into a new position? They should be looking at the people who have designed the Force india and Sauber imo but I am not an expert, let's see what happen's in coming months.
McLaren Mercedes

mclaren111

So far I like the changes Zak has made - including Morris.

Now they need a strong Technical Director with good natural leadership skills.

RonDennis

KingHamilton01 wrote:
09 Jul 2018, 16:40
RonDennis wrote:
KingHamilton01 wrote:

I agree with what you have said, this is why I think we need to look at talent outside the top team's, someone up and coming, I am sure McLaren realise this especially now they have moved promodrou into a new position? They should be looking at the people who have designed the Force india and Sauber imo but I am not an expert, let's see what happen's in coming months.
They already did that with Morris. In my opinion they need someone that has earned his stripes. McLaren should stop experimenting and put people in place that have actually won races in recent times. Who? I don't know, although getting McLaren back on track looks like a nice challenge.

Big Tea

Its a shame they can not do something totally outside the box, like 'Give' Newey a large chunk of shares as his payment for 5 years.
This would give him not only incentive, but the power to enforce what he would want to do.

Not sure who else I would like to see this done with though, and can not see Newey taking it up either.
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

ALO_Power

Here is the joke that costed:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QftfXbnoeQs

And here is the new McLaren garage that was promised in Melbourne and arrived in Silverstone:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yhfEX2qfIVI

DFX
DFX

They have PP, their aero concepts have being copied throughout the field. PP and the aero team have being doing a solid job, this is not to say that more talent is not welcome but certainly is not the problem. That being said, look at Binotto, he came out of nowhere from the Ferrari hierarchy and many people doubted the move at the time. Sometimes the right people are already in the team waiting to be found out. Mclaren main problem is the way processes are ran in the factory IMO.

Chanman141

DFX wrote:
09 Jul 2018, 19:43
Mclaren main problem is the way processes are ran in the factory IMO.
As a junior software engineer at a large Enterprise I cannot agree more with that sentence.

Nonserviam85

RonDennis wrote:
KingHamilton01 wrote:
mclaren111 wrote:

McLaren should had employed Alex Hitzinger as a technical director (Porsche LMP1 Tech Dir.), too bad Apple money lured him away from motorsport.