2018 German Grand Prix - Hockenheimring, July 20-22

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
Morteza

2018 German Grand Prix - Hockenheimring, July 20-22

Tire Choices

2016 Results (German Grand Prix was not held in 2017)

2016 Onboard Pole Lap
"A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool."~William Shakespeare

f1316

Re: 2018 German Grand Prix - Hockenheimring, July 20-22

...sigh...

Anyway... it was interesting to me hearing Gasly say that they really don’t know what to expect in Hockenheim - on the one hand there’s a lot of straight/full throttle, on the other there’s quite a technical section at the end of the lap.

In terms of the leading teams, i’d say it’s therefore similarly hard to guess - RB likely to be good in the technical bits, Ferrari/Mercedes on the straights (for the record: it’s my belief that Ferrari can deploy for more of an especially long lap, but that Mercedes’ most recent PU update was a bigger step in combustion - and hence peak power - than Ferrari’s, so the narrative that Ferrari now has the better engine is too facile).

So to me it’s an absolute toss up.

I bet Renault, with their tyre troubles, are regretting bringing so many ultras.

Vasconia

There is a big jump between the softest tyre and the rest so this could be very interesting. This should force the top teams to use the ultra in Q2 and it will be more difficult to find a balanced set-up between qualy and race.

I do hope Ferrari can keep the momentum and also win here but it will be a close battle, I dont see any of both teams to be clearly ahead but we need a clean start and race to see how superior Mercedes can be in race pace.

Ahh how much I miss the old Hockheimring!!

ME4ME

I wonder at what point did Pirelli decide which tyres to bring for this race. Surely it was after the first couple of races, meaning they had some insight in how durable this years tyres are.

I don't nessesarily think that Pirelli would have picked any other collection of tyres with the knowledge they have now, but personally I'd much rather see the Hypersofts, Ultrasofts and Supersofts for this race. I don't care if the Hypersofts can only manage the initial 10 laps of the race. I like to see some more pit stops and strategic diversity.

Godius

T7 DRS could probably be possible here given the fact that FIA is on a DRS-frenzy lately.

godlameroso

This track is a lot of fun with the new cars. None of the corners are easy flat save for the parabolic turn and t7. Everything else is a actual corner.
Saishū kōnā

dfegan358

Seems the final sector will bring red bull more into play than previous races. definitely think this is less of a mercedes track than the last few races and we seen how that played out in austria and silverstone.

Will be close im sure, and interesting to see what upgrades if any turn up to hockenheim. think the track should suit ferrari quite well. although im sure mercedes will be eager to bounce back after silverstone.

Ferrari do seem to prefer the ultrasoft tyres for qualifying at least.

LM10

Mercedes won't be significantly worse (if any) than RBR and Ferrari in the technical section, I think. Their last PU update seems to have made a big step when it comes to accelerating out of slow corners and their rear downforce/traction also got better with the latest aero upgrades, it seems.

Let's see how Ferrari performs. They made a step forward on fast corners, but not sure about their performance on slow corners which they normally have been strong at.

I almost have the feeling that Mercedes might be on par with Ferrari in technical sections now. Both pushed with upgrades into the direction they were lacking performance at compared to their main rivals and now each of them will be favorites on tracks they weren't before. :)

Jokes aside, is it even possible to sacrifice performance at one area to get better at another like in case of Mercedes and Ferrari getting stronger on fast corners, but weaker on slow corners (and the other way around) as before?

Zynerji

I am just SUPER EXCITED that no one ca say for sure who will get pole/win.

Thats a huge change from the last 8 years, and one that I welcome!

godlameroso

So far it looks like there may be some rain on Sunday, not sure yet.
Saishū kōnā

NL_Fer

Merc can only gain some in corner one (250kph) Redbull will lose a little between t4 - t6. Overal a Ferrari track i fear.

Zynerji

NL_Fer wrote:
12 Jul 2018, 20:25
Merc can only gain some in corner one (250kph) Redbull will lose a little between t4 - t6. Overal a Ferrari track i fear.
I'm praying for a nail biter!!

ds.raikkonen

How was the deg rate on this track in the last few races? Seeing as the Hockeinheim ring hosts DTM along with the usual support races, should be moderate? Interesting to see Ultrasofts as the option tyre here instead of the SS.
That stadium section is definitely where RBR will be faster, otherwise the hairpin and entry into the stadium are the places where most of the passes are usually made. Hoping for a close race.
“Speed has never killed anyone. Suddenly becoming stationary...that’s what gets you.” - JC

gdanielwesley

Zynerji wrote:I am just SUPER EXCITED that no one ca say for sure who will get pole/win.

Thats a huge change from the last 8 years, and one that I welcome!
Yes, but it was the same last year up untill the halfway mark..then Mercedes just out developed Ferrari.. Ferrari made mistakes under pressure. Hope this year's fight goes till the end.

Zynerji

Here's hoping that Kimi and Valtteri can close the gap as well!