2018 McLaren F1 Team - Renault

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
McG

Re: 2018 McLaren F1 Team - Renault

I wonder why the McLaren threads year after year are the most popular by far. It's not a UK website is it?

McLaren are an interesting team and company though.
F1 is dead.

trinidefender

McG wrote:
11 Jul 2018, 18:54
I wonder why the McLaren threads year after year are the most popular by far. It's not a UK website is it?

Because people like drama the same why flies like s**t and McLaren is full of it

DFX
DFX

trinidefender wrote:
11 Jul 2018, 20:06
McG wrote:

Because people like drama the same why flies like s**t and McLaren is full of it
Not really, I would say that, among other things, this is the Alonso effect.

McG

Guess back in the day it was the Hamilton effect.
F1 is dead.

DFX
DFX

Well, from the traditional teams Mclaren is the more liked by long time fans. Ferrari has the glamour but Mclaren has (or had) the heart of what F1 means. But thats just my view.

Miha_v

McG wrote:

I have been a lurker on this forum for a while, specifically this thread :)
I guess I just want to see Mclaren improve and carefully scout for any sign of improvement (also, I was always really fascinated by f1 aerodynamics and so I find lots of interesting insights here). I wouldn't exactly consider myself biggest Alonso fan (haven't been a true fan of anybody since Mika Hakkinen departure really), but I believe he is a great driver and it's sad watching him battling in the midfield. I think many people (including me) want to see this combination succeed, hence the popularity...

M840TR

Between Lap 21 to lap 28, Alonso closed down a 6 second gap to Hulkenberg in the works Renault to 1.9 seconds. Alonso was 0.6 – 1 second faster than Hulkenberg.

Lap 28 is when Alonso caught up to Ocon and that slowed down his charge.

Between lap 21 to 27, he was on older medium tires veruss Ocon who was on fresh mediums and he was 0.5 seconds per lap faster than the Frenchman, and closed a 4 second gap to 0.5s seconds in 7 laps right before safety car.

This improved pace of the McLaren is perhaps enhanced by the high speed corners the clip above illustrates. At other circuits with low speed corners requiring good traction out of a turn, will perhaps be more of an Achilles heel for the MCL33.

Certainly the 2nd half of the season could be a good one for McLaren, and they should be the ones to watch out for pushing for 4th place in the constructors.
https://thejudge13.com/2018/07/11/not-s ... we-thought

Not knowing the reason for the car to be good in high speed corners but not in low speed ones is excruciating. Just chunks of laptime waiting to be unlocked.

makecry

M840TR wrote:
12 Jul 2018, 08:17
Between Lap 21 to lap 28, Alonso closed down a 6 second gap to Hulkenberg in the works Renault to 1.9 seconds. Alonso was 0.6 – 1 second faster than Hulkenberg.

Between lap 21 to 27, he was on older medium tires veruss Ocon who was on fresh mediums and he was 0.5 seconds per lap faster than the Frenchman, and closed a 4 second gap to 0.5s seconds in 7 laps right before safety car.

This improved pace of the McLaren is perhaps enhanced by the high speed corners the clip above illustrates. At other circuits with low speed corners requiring good traction out of a turn, will perhaps be more of an Achilles heel for the MCL33.

Certainly the 2nd half of the season could be a good one for McLaren, and they should be the ones to watch out for pushing for 4th place in the constructors.

Not knowing the reason for the car to be good in high speed corners but not in low speed ones is excruciating. Just chunks of laptime waiting to be unlocked.
LOL that is literally a word to word copy of this comment on reddit,

https://www.reddit.com/r/formula1/comme ... t/e26dcct/

M840TR

makecry wrote:
12 Jul 2018, 08:33
M840TR wrote:

LOL that is literally a word to word copy of this comment on reddit,

https://www.reddit.com/r/formula1/comme ... t/e26dcct/
The site did seem a bit shady. Anyways, it is true through.

PhillipM

We expected that though, I said as much 2 or 3 races ago.
Hockenhiem might be a bit harder as there's a couple of heavy rear end/traction-limited area's from low speed, where mechanical traction is a big part of laptime.

Alonso Fan

And that's with a whole chunk of floor missing don't forget
SHR Modding
Youtube
Twitter
Discord

Sound Developer for Reiza Studios
Sound Modder for Assetto Corsa

Jolle

M840TR wrote:

For me it isn’t strange that they are good in high speed corners. The whole reason for the compromised rear suspension that hurts grip in slow and medium corners works great in the high speed ones. They made a trade off.

M840TR

Jolle wrote:
12 Jul 2018, 13:07
M840TR wrote:

For me it isn’t strange that they are good in high speed corners. The whole reason for the compromised rear suspension that hurts grip in slow and medium corners works great in the high speed ones. They made a trade off.
We ruled the suspension out when they said all problems were related to aero. But there's no sure answer yet.

PhillipM

Nobody ruled it out, having one problem doesn't stop you from having another.
The assumption is they compromised the rear mechnically for aero gains on other tracks deliberately, and without the aero working properly it's giving them a bit of a double whammy of issues at traction biased circuits.

M840TR

PhillipM wrote:
12 Jul 2018, 13:42
Nobody ruled it out, having one problem doesn't stop you from having another.
The assumption is they compromised the rear mechnically for aero gains on other tracks deliberately, and without the aero working properly it's giving them a bit of a double whammy of issues at traction biased circuits.
Going by your theory, it seems they thought the diffuser would be powerful enough to compensate for the suspension. A lot of focus was on it this year as evident by new nose, more vortex generators on top and revised sidepods. But obviously it didn't work out that way.