3 car teams and single entries

Post anything that doesn't belong in any other forum, including gaming and topics unrelated to motorsport. Site specific discussions should go in the site feedback forum.
rscsr

Re: 3 car teams and single entries

roon wrote:
16 Jul 2018, 04:23
Cold Fussion wrote:
15 Jul 2018, 17:52
What is the financial benefit of running 1 car instead of 2? Surely the vast majority of the cost in F1 is in the design and RND phase and not in operations. Furthermore, the potential prize money lost from scoring less points will surely outweigh the costs by a decent margin, especially when you consider you can almost always sell your second seat for a significant amount of money.
Counterpoint could be: focusing resources on one enterprise instead of two could allow a lower-budget team to field one car and driver at the same level as a top-tier team. A Force India with one car & driver could invest in that one car & driver to the same level that a Red Bull does. This does not solve for R&D costs, only race-to-race, trackside operations.
I don't agree that a team that fields only 1 car could operate at a higher level than a team with more cars. Mainly because the biggest income of a team is sponsorship. And I doubt that sponsors will be willing to pay the same for half as many cars.
I think that more than 1 cars is better for operations because you generally lower the overhead with bigger operations. When you need e.g. 10 people for 1 car, it would be quite possible that you only need 15 people for 2 cars. Additionally you create oportunities for more specializations in your operation.

Cold Fussion

Given how stratified F1 tends to be, if you're a midfield team with a car capable of scoring points then chances are you can double score with 2 cars. F1 is also a zero sum game so if you're not scoring points you are giving points to your rivals so I don't think there is any realistic way a midfield team could ever only run a 1 car operation. You'd have to probably be running something like a HRT style operation for the economics of 1 car team to ever make sense, and even then it may be sub optimal.

Justthatek

It will never happen end of.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk