2022 Tyres Thread

Here are our CFD links and discussions about aerodynamics, suspension, driver safety and tyres. Please stick to F1 on this forum.
F1NAC

2022 Tyres Thread

LINK

Also tyre blankets will be banned from 2021.

Also front wheel width will go from 305 mm to 270

How it looked

nzjrs

Re: 18-inch wheels to be introduced in 2021.

Loss of tire blankets will be interesting. AFAIR the next rules are set to simplify the front brake ducts - I wonder if we will also see a race in trick brake cooling / tire heating systems to help with tire warm-up or if this scales differently with the move to 18-inch wheels.

FrukostScones

bla bla tyreblankets supposed to be banned as always, won't happen.
Finishing races is important, but racing is more important.

F1NAC

Only thing is why not make contract from 2021 onwards.. Because whoever gets it is going to be stuck with those 13-inch for a year(wasted money for new entrant). This could probably deny some manufacturers like Michelin or so.

Thunder

So, F1 finally made it into the 21st Century. Congrats i guess. :wink:
turbof1 wrote: YOU SHALL NOT......STALLLLL!!!
#aerogollum

johnny vee

Thank you for this thread.
I for one am very excited for this, I think the 18" wheels look really good but more than that it presents a few new challenges to the engineers. Suspension on the cars will get more complicated as it will do more work, as we know that the current tyre is responsible for so much of the suspension.

On the tyre blanket story, I dont know yet if I agree with this. But it could be one of those things that we will get used to and it might also make the starts more unpredictable.

My question to the forum: would a tyre manufacturer look at making tyres that warm up faster and would that in fact cuause tyres to cool down faster on the straights?
"Because you didn't come here to make the choice, you've already made it. You're here to try to understand why you made it. I thought you'd have figured that out by now." The Oracle, Matrix Reloaded

FrukostScones

more info in this article here:

https://www.autosport.com/f1/news/13753 ... f1-package
Front tyres will also be narrower, dropping by 35mm to 270mm. The rears will stay the same, at 405mm, while diameters will increased from the current 670m to "700-720mm."
other FIA specs only met with decent alchemy black magic.
Finishing races is important, but racing is more important.

F1NAC

johnny vee wrote:
20 Jul 2018, 10:25
Thank you for this thread.
I for one am very excited for this, I think the 18" wheels look really good but more than that it presents a few new challenges to the engineers. Suspension on the cars will get more complicated as it will do more work, as we know that the current tyre is responsible for so much of the suspension.

On the tyre blanket story, I dont know yet if I agree with this. But it could be one of those things that we will get used to and it might also make the starts more unpredictable.

My question to the forum: would a tyre manufacturer look at making tyres that warm up faster and would that in fact cuause tyres to cool down faster on the straights?
Don't forget also that active suspension is back (albeit same spec for everyone)

MtthsMlw

F1NAC wrote:
20 Jul 2018, 13:56
Don't forget also that active suspension is back (albeit same spec for everyone)
Is that confirmed?

F1NAC

Not yet. my bad :oops:

Thunder

F1NAC wrote:
20 Jul 2018, 14:05
Not yet. my bad :oops:
Would be a good decision imho.
turbof1 wrote: YOU SHALL NOT......STALLLLL!!!
#aerogollum

JonoNic

Just a question:
If tyre blankets are banned from 2021. What's stopping the teams from heating tyres in the garage using the rim as a heater? It's not a foreign object as the rim will leave the pits as part of the wheel. 10-20°c warmer tyres will be an advantage

No rules says that the rim has one specific job and can only be used to hold the tyre in place...
Always find the gap then use it.

PhillipM

They already do that with cake tin heaters.

ian_s

JonoNic wrote:
20 Jul 2018, 16:47
Just a question:
If tyre blankets are banned from 2021. What's stopping the teams from heating tyres in the garage using the rim as a heater? It's not a foreign object as the rim will leave the pits as part of the wheel. 10-20°c warmer tyres will be an advantage

No rules says that the rim has one specific job and can only be used to hold the tyre in place...
I bet they'll put a rule in place that states what temperature the tyres can be before they are fitted to the car, probably X degrees above ambient.

Big Tea

ian_s wrote:
20 Jul 2018, 17:07
JonoNic wrote:
20 Jul 2018, 16:47
Just a question:

I bet they'll put a rule in place that states what temperature the tyres can be before they are fitted to the car, probably X degrees above ambient.
This rule will have to go hand-in-hand with tyre design, and the tyres will have to be designed to run at a lower temp.
Either that or everyone will have to take the life out of the tyre first lap.

It also helps the race after a safety car as the tyres are not up to race temp then either, as we often see with cars off on the restart.
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.