Will Electric Vehicles Be Viable? When?

Breaking news, useful data or technical highlights or vehicles that are not meant to race. You can post commercial vehicle news or developments here.
Please post topics on racing variants in "other racing categories".
henry

Re: Will Electric Vehicles Be Viable? When?

Here’s an article about a taxi firms experience with Teslas and battery life. https://electrek.co/2018/07/17/tesla-mo ... s-3-years/

Degradation is quite variable, a low of 10% after 300,000 miles high of 22% after 130,000miles. Likewise some battery failures, albeit after a lot of miles.

I guess Tesla, and others, might still be learning how to manage consistency in producing high capacity batteries.
Fortune favours the prepared; she has no favourites and takes no sides.
Truth is confirmed by inspection and delay; falsehood by haste and uncertainty : Tacitus

Big Tea

henry wrote:
17 Jul 2018, 18:25
Here’s an article about a taxi firms experience with Teslas and battery life. https://electrek.co/2018/07/17/tesla-mo ... s-3-years/

Degradation is quite variable, a low of 10% after 300,000 miles high of 22% after 130,000miles. Likewise some battery failures, albeit after a lot of miles.

I guess Tesla, and others, might still be learning how to manage consistency in producing high capacity batteries.
There are companies now who will rebuild the battery pack as it seems it varies from cell to cell.
For a Toyota Pius it is around £350 to rebuild using replaced cells form another used pack. It comes with a 6 month warranted, but the item I was reading, the gut says he is well into his second year. It was a 'paper' mag, if I can find it I will scan it here (anyone else have it?)
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

strad

apostrophes?
Man, I must drive you crazy. :lol:
To achieve anything, you must be prepared to dabble on the boundary of disaster.”
Sir Stirling Moss

strad

Here’s an article about a taxi firms experience with Teslas and battery life
Very interesting. Thanks
To achieve anything, you must be prepared to dabble on the boundary of disaster.”
Sir Stirling Moss

Just_a_fan

Andres125sx wrote:
17 Jul 2018, 16:52

Hybrids are the best of both worlds, an EVs with no range limitations, but they´re still using too small electric motors and batteries, so the real range in full electric mode is too short and most of them can´t work in electric mode above 50km/h. I guess there´s not enough space for a fuel tank and a big enough battery
The point is that in an urban environment, you often don't need to be doing more than 50km/h. That's a safe speed for most urban roads. Sure, no good on the bigger multi-lane through roads but they're often crawling with traffic anyway.

Struggling to see why it's a problem.
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

Just_a_fan

roon wrote:
17 Jul 2018, 17:07
Just_a_fan wrote:
17 Jul 2018, 10:24
I have the same pet peeve about people using the word "theory" incorrectly. Don't get me started on the poor use of the apostrophe!
Whats you're deal with apostrophe's? In theory their pretty easy to use.
:shock: Oh, you....aaarrggh!!! :twisted:

Nicely done, sir. Nicely done. =D>

Just_a_fan

strad wrote:
17 Jul 2018, 19:44
apostrophes?
Man, I must drive you crazy. :lol:
I believe you are one of our cousins from "across the pond". You are given leeway as clearly it's not your fault. :wink: :lol:

strad

Sir Stirling Moss

Andres125sx

Just_a_fan wrote:
17 Jul 2018, 21:18
Andres125sx wrote:
17 Jul 2018, 16:52

Hybrids are the best of both worlds, an EVs with no range limitations, but they´re still using too small electric motors and batteries, so the real range in full electric mode is too short and most of them can´t work in electric mode above 50km/h. I guess there´s not enough space for a fuel tank and a big enough battery
The point is that in an urban environment, you often don't need to be doing more than 50km/h. That's a safe speed for most urban roads. Sure, no good on the bigger multi-lane through roads but they're often crawling with traffic anyway.

Struggling to see why it's a problem.
It´s not only top speed wich is limited with their small motor and battery, range in full electric mode rarely exceed a few km

Andres125sx

henry wrote:
17 Jul 2018, 18:25

Very interesting, thanks

I find 194.000 miles for first battery, with a mere 6% battery degradation, pretty amazing

And that´s with a problem due to constant supercharging? :wtf:

Phil

Just_a_fan wrote:
09 Jul 2018, 10:08
Tim.Wright wrote:
08 Jul 2018, 15:46
EV's simply don't suit 97-98% of the car buying population.
I disagree: they are suitable for the majority of the car buying population. It's just that they're choosing not to buy them. Big difference.
I doubt that to be honest. Just because most people use their cars for daily short distance home-work-home commutes 95% of the time, doesnt necessarely mean it makes the EV a viable solution for them. There is still that other 5% to consider; the time you use your car for long distances, holiday, trip to the sea, to the mountains, whereever. Or simply a day where you might be heading to multiple locations within the duration of a day or any such journey that goes beyond the mileage such an EV could handle.

To me; owning a car is a bit of freedom. The freedom to be able to get to any place at any time. A quick stop for fuel will cost 5 minutes of time, but no later than that and you will be back on track. An EV just cant do that, yet.

An optimal solution for most, would be to have two vehicles; an EV for those daily commutes and another one for everything else. Given the cost involved, that isnt really an option for most. So i guess for most of us, it’s a game of waiting until the EV reaches the level of convinience of petrol cars do.
Not for nothing, Rosberg's Championship is the only thing that lends credibility to Hamilton's recent success. Otherwise, he'd just be the guy who's had the best car. — bhall II
#Team44 supporter

strad

Phil; I have meant to mention that fact. To me a car has always represented freedom. Freedom to go where I want when I want. You nailed my feeling exactly.
I have a friend up the block who when I talked to her earlier today intended to drive 3½ hours and 150 miles and return.
That's 300+ miles and 7 hours of driving time with only short stop to deliver some things to her other home down by the ocean.
Sir Stirling Moss

strad

I should have mentioned she is taking a number of large things that would never fit in a small electric but actually requires her 3/4 ton truck.
Sir Stirling Moss

AJI
AJI

Phil wrote:
21 Jul 2018, 01:23
... A quick stop for fuel will cost 5 minutes of time, but no later than that and you will be back on track. An EV just cant do that, yet....
Petrol wasn't exactly easy to get when the automobile was first introduced either. Was there range anxiety then?
That aside, there is a simple short term solution to this problem that already exists, the hybrid.

strad

Ain't no 3/4 ton Hybrid truck. :wink:
Sir Stirling Moss