2018 German Grand Prix - Hockenheimring, July 20-22

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
JonoNic

Re: 2018 German Grand Prix - Hockenheimring, July 20-22

GrandAxe wrote:I'll wager it was the hydraulic problem that caused Lewis to run off, not the other way round.

The story about how bumping over the kerb caused hydraulic issues is not a clever one. There's also been some speculation about a broken suspension causing gearbox problems, even though the car was not leaning to one side. The only plausible angle is that the problem was nascent on his previous lap, causing him to go off, and then it manifested fully on the next lap, causing him to drop out of qualifying.
The car did understeer into that corner
Always find the gap then use it.

LM10
LM10

GrandAxe wrote:
21 Jul 2018, 16:35
I'll wager it was the hydraulic problem that caused Lewis to run off, not the other way round.

The story about how bumping over the kerb caused hydraulic issues is not a clever one. There's also been some speculation about a broken suspension causing gearbox problems, even though the car was not leaning to one side. The only plausible angle is that the problem was nascent on his previous lap, causing him to go off, and then it manifested fully on the next lap, causing him to drop out of qualifying.
Toto told that their data told that the hydraulic problem appeared just after the car jumped over the kerbs. So it seems that it was the bumping which caused it, but let's wait for further information.

Vanja #66

Juzh wrote:
21 Jul 2018, 16:28
fp1
https://i.imgur.com/o5LIlai.jpg

fp2
https://i.imgur.com/MCItcyC.jpg

quali traps are published on the fia website after some time.
Thanks a lot! Its a bit frustrating that fia doesn't publish more that for Practice sessions.

Don't know what Hamilton was on about yesterday, claiming Ferrari has a big surge in top speed all of a sudden.
And they call it a stall. A STALL!

#DwarvesAreNaturalSprinters
#BlessYouLaddie

Sierra117

Vanja #66 wrote:
21 Jul 2018, 16:54
Juzh wrote:
21 Jul 2018, 16:28
fp1
https://i.imgur.com/o5LIlai.jpg

fp2
https://i.imgur.com/MCItcyC.jpg

quali traps are published on the fia website after some time.
Thanks a lot! Its a bit frustrating that fia doesn't publish more that for Practice sessions.

Don't know what Hamilton was on about yesterday, claiming Ferrari has a big surge in top speed all of a sudden.
Ferrari are much faster on the straights and this has been seen multiple times, so he's correct. Ferrari didn't run any sort of higher engine modes so those speed traps for P sessions are irrelevant (for Merc and Ferrari alike).
NIKI LAUDANZ SolidarityCubolligraphy | Instagram | Facebook
#Aerogorn & #Flowramir

Manfer
Manfer

https://www.grandprix247.com/2018/07/21 ... view-team/

I am just gonna leave this here.
I guess fate had different ideas.

FLuidd
FLuidd

Dont want to brag but I called it. The Ferrari is clearly superior on both quali and race pace.

With a Vettel victory tomorrow I do not see Hamilton or Mercedes winning the WDC and WCC, moreover it seems this season will be over well before last race.

If Vettel gets first off the first corner in the race, then it is a slam dunk.

Last but not least i will be surprised if one of the mercedes cars doesnt have a mechanical failure... mechanical failures, oh how the times have changed.

Prediction for tomorrow is a 1 - 2 Ferrari, there is just no reason to put anything else.

MtthsMlw

FLuidd wrote:
21 Jul 2018, 17:24
Dont want to brag but I called it. The Ferrari is clearly superior on both quali and race pace.

With a Vettel victory tomorrow I do not see Hamilton or Mercedes winning the WDC and WCC, moreover it seems this season will be over well before last race.

Last but not least i will be surprised if one of the mercedes cars doesnt have a mechanical failure... mechanical failures, oh how the times have changed.

Prediction for tomorrow is a 1 - 2 Ferrari, there is just no reason to put anything else.
There is still a chance of rain.

matt_b
matt_b

Obvious race prediction is a Seb 1st, Lewis 5th helped by Ric starting last, 23 point gap and we roll onto Hungary next week. However this season has had some unpredictable races so who knows.

ismail1991
ismail1991

At the previous races, Ferrari engine was a little better than Mercedes, but all of a sudden their engine has an apparent edge. As far as I know, Ferrari didn't bring any upgrades to their engine last two races. How can this be explained? In addition, would it be logical for mercedes to put a new engine for hamilton for the race tomorrow and take a penalty and start last?

f1316
f1316

MtthsMlw wrote:
21 Jul 2018, 17:30
FLuidd wrote:
21 Jul 2018, 17:24

There is still a chance of rain.
Anything can happen - just remember Hamilton coming all the way back last time; even without a safety car (other than lap 1), Vettel went from last to 5th in France too. Rain, safety cars, VSCs etc. I’m not counting any chickens.

Likewise, there will be plenty of races in the rest of the year where Mercedes will be faster - of that i’m fairly certain. What’s important from a Ferrari perspective is that they maximise the points when they are faster - something they didn’t do in China, Baku, and some might say Austria.

GrandAxe
GrandAxe

Manfer wrote:
21 Jul 2018, 17:14

Competition is the very essence of any sport. It is a spectacle of the champion putting his balls on the line, daring others to as much as touch them. So, it is wrong and almost condemnable that we should have someone who was lucky, yet bailed out of the opportunity to compete; roaming the paddock, making comments (many ill-judged) on those who are actually breaking their backsides to compete and keep F1 alive as a sport.

TV should not be about courting controversy, or breaking moral bounds with sensationalism. There is the danger that F1 itself will get broken if there are no principles. F1 is not a dumb reality show.

foxmulder_ms
foxmulder_ms

F1 gods want Vettel to win this year. If Lewis can win from here it will be surprising and special.

Sevach
Sevach

ismail1991 wrote:
21 Jul 2018, 17:34
At the previous races, Ferrari engine was a little better than Mercedes, but all of a sudden their engine has an apparent edge. As far as I know, Ferrari didn't bring any upgrades to their engine last two races. How can this be explained? In addition, would it be logical for mercedes to put a new engine for hamilton for the race tomorrow and take a penalty and start last?
If Hamilton puts a new engine it would be engine 3, no penalty, and to take another engine after that would mean a penalty.

If they can keep this engine they will.

RZS10

According to Mercedes the hydraulics issue occured before the heavy bumps, so the defect wasn't caused by him going wide but the other way round, he went wide after losing power steering - seems to be a similar issue to Bottas in Austria ...

short addition since this post was getting quoted with the obvious remarks: whether you believe this probably depends on whether you hate him or not ... lol
Last edited by RZS10 on 21 Jul 2018, 18:49, edited 1 time in total.

GrayGreat
GrayGreat

GrandAxe wrote:
21 Jul 2018, 17:46
Manfer wrote:
21 Jul 2018, 17:14

Competition is the very essence of any sport. It is a spectacle of the champion putting his balls on the line, daring others to as much as touch them. So, it is wrong and almost condemnable that we should have someone who was lucky, yet bailed out of the opportunity to compete; roaming the paddock, making comments (many ill-judged) on those who are actually breaking their backsides to compete and keep F1 alive as a sport.

TV should not be about courting controversy, or breaking moral bounds with sensationalism. There is the danger that F1 itself will get broken if there are no principles. F1 is not a dumb reality show.
Are you hurt about something that happened today?